* [ECOS] ROM startup on EBD7212
@ 2001-02-01 15:07 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
       [not found] ` <981100836.3a7a692440df9@imp.imms.de>
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-01 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

I am finally trying to get a flash-bootable version of my OS for a
standalone demo for an upcoming trade show. I can't be loading this from a
PC; I need to be able to just turn on the board and have it boot.

Here's what I did:

I set the startup type to ROM.

I changed nothing else in the .ecc; I rebuilt the library, and then built
my application.

objcopy -O binary bios3.exe bios3.bin

I used the download program to flash that BIN into the board.

Power the board up (after removing the flash-boot jumper) - nothing.

What else do I need to do to make a ROM-bootable application with eCos 1.3.1?
=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."

* RE: [ECOS] ROM startup on EBD7212
@ 2001-02-02  5:32 ` Gary Thomas
       [not found] ` <981100836.3a7a692440df9@imp.imms.de>
From: Gary Thomas @ 2001-02-02  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards; +Cc: ecos-discuss

On 01-Feb-2001 Lewin A.R.W. Edwards wrote:
> I am finally trying to get a flash-bootable version of my OS for a
> standalone demo for an upcoming trade show. I can't be loading this from a
> PC; I need to be able to just turn on the board and have it boot.
>
> Here's what I did:
>
> I set the startup type to ROM.
>
> I changed nothing else in the .ecc; I rebuilt the library, and then built
> my application.
>
> objcopy -O binary bios3.exe bios3.bin
>
> I used the download program to flash that BIN into the board.
>
> Power the board up (after removing the flash-boot jumper) - nothing.
>
> What else do I need to do to make a ROM-bootable application with eCos 1.3.1?

This should work.

How did you change the startup type?  If you are using 'ecosconfig' (i.e. _not_
using the Windows ConfigTool), then you'll need to rerun 'ecosconfig tree'.

Also, be sure and clean your build/install tree after any such change.
  # make clean
  # make

If you've done all this, does it turn on the "DIAG" LED?  This is only turned
on in software, and shows that the eCos hardware initialization code has finished.

* RE: [ECOS] ROM startup on EBD7212
@ 2001-02-02  6:07   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-02  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: ecos-discuss

> > What else do I need to do to make a ROM-bootable application with eCos
> 1.3.1?
>
>This should work.
>
>How did you change the startup type?  If you are using 'ecosconfig' (i.e.
>_not_
>using the Windows ConfigTool), then you'll need to rerun 'ecosconfig tree'.

No, I was using the Windows configuration tool. I also did a clean and
remake of the library [from within the config tool] before building my app.
(I also did a clean rebuild of the app).

>If you've done all this, does it turn on the "DIAG" LED?  This is only turned

No it doesn't. No response at all.

@ 2001-02-02  6:15   ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-02  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hi Wolfram,

>   Because I don't know what SHOULD happen at your board after power up (i.e.
>   some outputs via printf) I'm not sure about the relevance of the above

At the very least, the diagnostic "alive!" LED should light up. If my code
is running, the LCD should also light up and start displaying JPEGs loaded
off the SmartMedia slot :)

>   --change-addresses=0xFBFF4000 --strip-debug foo foo.img'; the exact

The flash tool for my board is just a dumb loader, but I don't think it
should be necessary for me to do any relocing because the flash origin on
my board is 0x00000000. I will check this however.

>- some other things are related with the AEB bootloader program; I wrote my

My program is totally standalone, it _is_ the bootloader on my board :)))

Thanks for the suggestions, I will particularly look at the objcopy step.

@ 2001-02-02 10:57     ` Dan Conti
From: Dan Conti @ 2001-02-02 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Sometimes i have seen problems where you can change options in the config
tool, save them, and they dont get reflected properly in the build tree.
usually saving to a new location and generating a new build tree seems to
resolve this.

Just some odd things to check, maybe look at your install/lib/target.ld and
verify that in the MEMORY section you have a line for rom, also make sure
your .rom_vectors map to that.

You say objcopy, i assume you mean arm-elf-objcopy. I dont think the two are
interchangeable, but then again i've never tried. Before you perform this
step, take a quick look at the disassembly:

arm-elf-objdump --disassemble image.exe | less

and verify the address on the left corresponds to your rom.

Worst case, you can push out serial data manually with two lines of
assembly. I would toss that in vectors.s right before PLATFORM_SETUP1 just
to verify that the board is hitting the reset vector and getting into eCos
land. The fact that it isn't making it through hal_hardware_init() (where
the diag LED gets turned on) makes it sound like either a linking or a
flashing problem.

-Dan

@ 2001-02-02 11:27       ` Lewin A.R.W. Edwards
From: Lewin A.R.W. Edwards @ 2001-02-02 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Conti; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Dan,

>Sometimes i have seen problems where you can change options in the config
>tool, save them, and they dont get reflected properly in the build tree.

It turns out that this is most assuredly the problem. I don't know if it
applies to the Linux tools as well (probably it does), but the linker
script files are not removed by make clean (which means the Windows config
tool Build -> Clean option doesn't remove them either). They are seemingly
only generated on a totally virgin build.

I have now created two sets of ecos working directories, one for ROM and
one for RAM startup, and everything is working great (Thanks Gary :).

>arm-elf-objdump --disassemble image.exe | less
>and verify the address on the left corresponds to your rom.

arm-elf-objdump -h image.exe shows all the info necessary... it led me on
the trail.