* RE: [ECOS]  Re: Is eCos project still alive?
@ 2007-12-13  9:46 Loginov Alexander
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Loginov Alexander @ 2007-12-13  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss, ecos-discuss

> Because that's the last time somebody paid developers to do the
> work involved in a public "release".

Thanks for your comments. Now a bit clearer why the releases are not
available. But it is quite strange: there is eCosCentric but no
releases. Normally the commercial companies that are at the back of the
open-source project, do this job. Check RTEMS for example.

> If you don't want to hear answers, then don't ask questions.

Irrelevant note. Not all the phrases are to be understood directly.
There are idioms in each language. That was one of them. Don't take it
out of the context. In that context it meant: "I don't think so" if you
wish

> Utter bullshit.  They do have bugs, but so do releases. Neither
> is "supposed to have bugs".

My mistake, I meant to say "expected to have bugs". Here is the standard
note from a standard open-source project CVS tree: "...the CVS code is
always moving in features and stability. While very attempt is made to
keep the CVS head working on all targets, but there are no any
guarantees".

> Bah. Nobody intentionally checks in bugs.

Depends. In the area of safety-critical systems, it is a standard
debugging methodology: you intentionally introduce bugs in the systems
to see how it can recover itself .

... ...
> There are no "stable releases" of Linux any more.  Active
> development is being done in the "stable" tree.  There are no
> more stable and development versions of Linux like there used
> to be.

Linux itself - yes. But not its distros. The new releases are normally
produced every 3-6 months.

... ...
> On the contrary, we are all from the world of commercial
> products development.  That's what eCos is used for: developing
> commercial products.  I've been using eCos to develop
> commercial products for 7+ years, and the lack of "releases"
> hasn't been even the least bit of a problem.

That is your personal experience and your personal area of expertise in
particular commercial product area. Products that are expected to have
high reliability standards are rarely developed from CVS software
snapshots.

> If you feel you're not capable of working from a CVS repository
> and really want a "released" version, then that's what eCosPro
> is: http://www.ecoscentric.com/ecos/ecospro.shtml

Thanks. I have already checked it. Definitely, if we stick to eCos we
will buy the support from eCosCentric.

> Perhaps one of those RTOSes will meet your privilege management
> requirement better than eCos.

Unfortunately, they are either too expensive (the royalty fees would
cost us thousand or even millions of dollars) and most of them normally
don't provide source code. If they do provide it, then it costs another
hundreds of thousands.

By the way, do you now any more-or-less free RTOS that provides support
for privilege levels and process protection?

Thanks.

Best,
Alex

* RE: [ECOS]  Re: Is eCos project still alive?
@ 2007-12-14  9:07 Loginov Alexander
From: Loginov Alexander @ 2007-12-14  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Pagliughi, Bob Koninckx, Chris Zimman; +Cc: ecos-discuss, Grant Edwards

Chris, Frank & Bob,

Thanks for your understanding.

Let me explain my logic. I remember how eCos community was active 5-6
years ago. Now when my company decided to use some open-source software
for development of CNC machine control (before we relied on commercial
products only) I decided to re-visit eCos project web-pages after long
absence. And what do people like me see here?

1) The latest release is nearly 5 years old.
2) The news on the page were updated 1.5 years ago. Moreover, in last 3
years they were updated only twice.
3) Then I checked the mailing list. I went to ecos-devel list because
according to its title it had to demonstrate the real development
progress. What did I see? In October there was only 1 post (another one
was ad in German), in September 3 posts.

Then would it be strange for any person to ask the following question:
"Is the project dead?" And that was exactly what I asked the mailing
list. Such questions are very important when you select the software for
commercial products whose life span is normally ten-twenty years.

I can ensure that I had no any intention to insult anyone from eCos
community. I really appreciate guys who spend their spare time
developing some amazing things available for everyone. But there should
be no fanaticism because it can easily cause overreaction what Grant
nicely demonstrates (with all respect to his contribution to the
project).

...Well, there is one useful outcome of my posts: I see that the
community is alive and active :) Of course, Grant will be my favorite :)

Best regards,
Alexander

From: Loginov Alexander @ 2007-12-14  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Edwards, ecos-discuss

Grant,

Have a medical checkup. You have got phobia. You see things which don't
exist in reality.

Best,
Alex

On 2007-12-13, Chris Zimman <czimman@bloomberg.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry for the rather caustic response you've received from
> this mailing list.

The man suggested that we intentionally put bugs into the eCos
CVS tree.  That's just plain insulting.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Where's the Coke
                                  at               machine?  Tell me a

* RE: [ECOS] Is eCos project still alive?
@ 2007-12-13  4:27 Loginov Alexander
From: Loginov Alexander @ 2007-12-13  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Klaus Nji, ecos-discuss, ecos-discuss

Hi Klaus,

Thanks. Of course, I studied it before I sent my question to the mailing
list. That web-site is great but it doesn't provide the answer why fresh
e-cos release is on hold.

Regards,
Alex

From: Loginov Alexander @ 2007-12-13  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony Tonizzo, eCos Disuss

Anthony,

Thanks for your comments. And, please, come down your emotions.

The question was very simple: why is the latest eCos release 5 years
old? I actually wanted to know the answer only to this question, without
objecting neither eCos nor you.

Don't tell me about snapshots. This is just for eCos itself, for its
further development, because snapshots are always supposed to have bugs,
sometimes even intentional, to help to debug other bugs. Have you ever
heard about commercial companies that install the latest Linux snapshots
to their offices or to the expensive products? Never. Just stable
releases.

I guess, you are not from the world of the commercial products
development. The considerations here are a bit different than that in
the world of open-source software community.

By the ay, Linux is not RTOS and never will be. We have very tough hard
real-time requirements. So it is not for us. Many great RTOSes in
aviationa and military actually distinguish between privilege levels
(QNX, Integrity, LynuxOS, pikeOS, etc). MMU usage is Ok in real-time if
you use it properly (no page swapping, page locking, etc.).

Best regards,
Alex

> Although I see some activity on eCos
> mailing lists, it doesn't bring a peace to my mind. What happened to
> eCos? It used to be very active in early 00. Why its releases are not
> updated? It is quite strange, that ecoscentric commercially
distributes
> a product that is so old.

Some activity, ah?

How much time did you actually spend researching the subject before
posting your questions on the mailing list?

If you had your homework, you would have found out that eCos is very
much alive, and that snapshots of the latest development tree are issued
every week, not every month or every year. If you had spent more than a
passing moment on the web site of the fine people at eCosCentric you
would have found that under the "DevZone" tab there is menu called
Snapshots. Do you care to guess where that leads you?

And if you had spent more than a passing moment actually _reading_
the mailing lists you would have found that people keep posting patches
almost every day, not only making old packages even better, but
also adding new ones.

> 2) eCOS doesn't distinguish between privilege levels. Is there any way
> to enable it for x86 platform? We need to keep user applications away
> from the control system core that we would like to run in Ring 0.

That assumes that you have full support for an MMU. Ecos' use of MMU
is limited to static configuration of MMUs, even in those architectures
that actually have an MMU built in. Don't blame eCos for missing MMU
support: This is a carefully thought decision on the part of the eCos
architects. Remember that we are talking about real time systems,
where dynamic manipulation of an MMU is not such a great idea.

If you need a full MMU, Linux is your OS.

* [ECOS] Re: Is eCos project still alive?
@ 2007-12-13  3:02 Anthony Tonizzo
From: Anthony Tonizzo @ 2007-12-13  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Disuss

Alexander: