* Re: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)
@ 2005-06-17 19:22 Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Hello Paul,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will look into it, as it is one place to
start.

In the meantime, do you(or anyone) have a possible explaination as to why
this behavior only occurs if I use the Redboot "load" command to get my code
to the board, and not when I use GDB ? I have been reading up and could not
find anything suspicious.

I have been using GDB all along during development cycle and never had this.
Application has been running correctly for long periods of time (48+ hrs)
and then turned off. So if it is a bug in there, I wouldn't know where to
look.

Thanks again,

Ali S.

    * From: "Paul D. DeRocco" <pderocco at ix dot netcom dot com>
    * To: "eCos Discuss" <ecos-discuss at ecos dot sourceware dot org>
    * Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:38:12 -0700
    * Subject: RE: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)

>From: Ali Sina
>
>actually now I noticed that after leaving the application execute (with no
>interaction whatsoever) the board resets all by itself after a few seconds
>and I get the Redboot prompt again.
>
>What could be the cause??? Please help

Smells like the watchdog timer.

Either that, or you have a conventional bug in your software.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)
@ 2005-06-20 15:24   ` Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-20 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msalter; +Cc: gary, ecos-discuss

Hello,

the culprit is found, the problem solved:

My code contained some "char" declarations which gcc apparently did not like
at all.
Changing the "char" to the corresponding "unsigned char" declarations fixed
the problem. The code is now loading and running just as it is when via GDB.

Thanks,

Ali

@ 2005-06-18  7:15   ` Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-18  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msalter; +Cc: gary, ecos-discuss

Hi,

ok, here something else I tried.
This is now getting slightly superstitious but I guess I will do a lot to
get this to work..

- arm-elf-gdb -nw filename.elf
- load

At the serial port entered "++$k#6b" as suggested by A.Massa (page 202) to
regain Redboot control.

"go -c 0x00010000" will produce the same effect: application starts, runs
for 20 sec. or so, and then suddenly stops all by itself, whereas starting
it with continue is fine.
Any other difference between go and continue?

Or am I missing something really that fundamental? - I really wish..

AS

----------------------------------

    * From: "Ali Sina" <replay688 at hotmail dot com>
    * To: msalter at redhat dot com
    * Cc: gary at mlbassoc dot com, ecos-discuss at ecos dot sourceware dot
org
    * Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:46:31 +0000
    * Bcc:

Hello,

ok, here is what I did:

-------
RedBoot> cache ON
RedBoot> cache
Data cache: On, Instruction cache: On
RedBoot> load -b 0x00010000 -m xmodem
CCC\x06Entry point: 0x00010040, address range: 0x00010000-0x00037884
xyzModem - CRC mode, 1838(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 3 retries
RedBoot> go -c 0x00010000
---------

The -c option is to ensure that the caches are on.

I get the same problem, this does not fix it either.
This is crazy

Anything else that could be different from running via GDB? Here is what
works there:
--
arm-elf-gdb -nw filename.elf -x .arm-elf-gdbinit
--

set remotebaud 38400
target remote /dev/ttyS0

Another suggestion was to look after the watchdog timer, but there is
none in the standard E7T which I am using.

AS

@ 2005-06-18  6:46   ` Ali Sina
From: Ali Sina @ 2005-06-18  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: msalter; +Cc: gary, ecos-discuss

Hello,

ok, here is what I did:

-------
RedBoot> cache ON
RedBoot> cache
Data cache: On, Instruction cache: On
RedBoot> load -b 0x00010000 -m xmodem
CCC\x06Entry point: 0x00010040, address range: 0x00010000-0x00037884
xyzModem - CRC mode, 1838(SOH)/0(STX)/0(CAN) packets, 3 retries
RedBoot> go -c 0x00010000
---------

The -c option is to ensure that the caches are on.

I get the same problem, this does not fix it either.
This is crazy

Anything else that could be different from running via GDB? Here is what
works there:
--
arm-elf-gdb -nw filename.elf -x .arm-elf-gdbinit
--
..with the latter containing:

set remotebaud 38400
target remote /dev/ttyS0
load
continue

Another suggestion was to look after the watchdog timer, but there is
none in the standard E7T which I am using.

AS

>From: Mark Salter <msalter@redhat.com>
>To: Ali Sina <replay688@hotmail.com>
>CC: gary@mlbassoc.com, ecos-discuss@ecos.sourceware.org
>Subject: Re: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)
>Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:34:07 -0400
>
>On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 20:45 +0000, Ali Sina wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > is there any difference between loading an application to RAM and
>running it
> > there via Redboot as opposed to via GDB?
> >
> > On the E7T with a ROM Redboot I observe the following:
> > Application has not crashed in months.
>it
> > (go) will start the application but the systems hangs after a few
>seconds.
> >
> > Anyone a clue as to why this could be happening?
> >

>The go command will turn off caches by default. Loading and running with
>gdb won't turn off caches.
>
>--Mark

* Re: [ECOS] Redboot vs GDB application download (ARM E7T)
@ 2005-06-17 19:34 ` Mark Salter
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Mark Salter @ 2005-06-17 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ali Sina; +Cc: gary, ecos-discuss