* RE: [ECOS]Hello World on AEB rev.C
@ 2001-01-18 20:39 Narayanan, Anita (CTS)
From: Narayanan, Anita (CTS) @ 2001-01-18 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Acquaviva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Hi Andrea,

I think you have successfully installed AEB 1. I just need some help
regarding the installation. I too am following the  instructions as given in
"Getting started with eCos" in the section "ARM AEB 1 hardware setup"
The steps i followed so far is given below:

~í
ARM Evaluation Board Boot Monitor 1.01 (18 NOV 1999)
Press ENTER within 2 seconds to stop autoboot

Boot: rommodules

Header   Base     Limit
04000004 04000000 0400360d BootStrap       1.01 (18 NOV 1999)
04003a74 04003800 04003bc0 Production Test 1.00 (13 Aug 1998)
0400e7a4 04004000 0400e7ec Angel           1.03 (08 Mar 1998)

Boot: download c000
Ready to download. Use 'transmit' option on terminal emulator to download
file.
Loaded file gdb_module.bin at address 0000c000, size = 19392

Boot: rommodules

Header   Base     Limit
04000004 04000000 0400360d BootStrap       1.01 (18 NOV 1999)
04003a74 04003800 04003bc0 Production Test 1.00 (13 Aug 1998)
0400e7a4 04004000 0400e7ec Angel           1.03 (08 Mar 1998)

As you can see, i donot see the ecos stub loaded in the flash. Am i doing
something wrong?
Can you please help me out?

Anita

Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

		Visit us at http://www.cognizant.com

* Re: [ECOS]Hello World on AEB rev.C
@ 2001-01-19  2:33 ` Jesper Skov
From: Jesper Skov @ 2001-01-19  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narayanan, Anita (CTS); +Cc: Andrea Acquaviva, ecos-discuss

Narayanan,> Boot: download c000 Ready to download. Use 'transmit'
Narayanan,> option on terminal emulator to = download file.  Loaded
Narayanan,> file gdb_module.bin at address 0000c000, size =3D 19392

Narayanan,> Boot: rommodules

Narayanan,> As you can see, i donot see the ecos stub loaded in the
Narayanan,> flash. Am i = doing something wrong?  Can you please help
Narayanan,> me out?

Yes, you did not use the flashwrite command. Please follow the
instructions to the letter.

Jesper

* Re: [ECOS] Hello world on AEB rev.C
@ 2000-11-20  4:29     ` Andrea Acquaviva
From: Andrea Acquaviva @ 2000-11-20  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> Andrea Acquaviva wrote:
> >
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your reply.
> >
> > I fixed the problem.
> > It was in the serial port configuration in the AEB board.
>
> Is your fix something particular to your configuration, or something that
> we need to fix here (if so what?).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jifl
> --
> Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
> "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own fault

Hi Jonathan,

I found that the gdb-stub module for the AEB rev.C, provided with eCos,
doesn't work at 9600 baud.

In addition, when I tryed at 38400 baud, the connection failed because the
serial port configuration that I made on the
AEB board was not correct. In effect, two environnement variables must be set
to change the baud rate properly,
that is, you have to give the following commands at the prompt of the
bootstrap loader:

boot: setenv baud 38400
boot: setenv noautobaud

With this settings, everything seems to work correctly. (Also if I don't see
the output string ++$T01... that you
mentioned, when connecting the board directly to minicom, or other terminal).

Andrea.

--

@ 2000-11-16 22:11   ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-16 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Acquaviva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

@ 2000-11-14  6:39 ` Andrea Acquaviva
From: Andrea Acquaviva @ 2000-11-14  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas.Karlsson, ecos-discuss

@ 2000-11-14  4:44 Andreas.Karlsson
From: Andreas.Karlsson @ 2000-11-14  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acquaviva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Well I'm running windows NT on that machine so I use a Hyperterminal with
baud rate 38400. But I have done it with the prompt too:

arm-elf-gdb \x13 nw

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400

(gdb) target remote COM1

When using Hyperterminal I do it like this.

download c000

(then I go to the location of the image
"eCos/loaders/arm-aeb/gdb_module-revC.img)

When the download is completed and a message tells you how many bytes that
was downloaded.

flashwrite 4018000 c000 8000

plugin eCos

NOTE: The command (gdb) set mips-force-32bit-saved-gpregs should not be
used.

Then I invoke insight, arm-elf-gdb my_prog&, in which I use 'run->download'
target=Remote/serial and baudrate=38400.

> My question is:

> - After the plugin command, is there some other things to be

> done before connecting to the target?

No, just close the connection and download your program.

> - Is there a way to unsterstand wheter or not the gdb-module I use is

> correctly initialized and working?

Don't think so. I have been trying building new modules for 3 weeks and my
only test was if I could connect or not...

> I think the problem is that the gdb-stub is not correctly writed in to

> the flash memory, because I don't see

> the output ++$T01.. that Johnatan Larmour mentioned in his reply to my

> previous mail.

I have never seen any such output.

> Has your board the efi0053c.bin or the at29c020.bin rom image? I think

> it could be a problem related to

> the efi0053c image version.

No idea.

> Any ideas?

I actually wrote some notes how to get the hello world example running, here
it is:

------------

After installing the stub eCos has to be built matching your processor
(AEB-1). This is done in the Configuration Tool (Program->Red Hat eCos->
Configuration Tool). The procedure is given in \x1c Configuring and Building
eCos from Source 64\x1d . Don't forget to select revC.

Your first program is compiled using this command e.g.

bash.exe-2.04$ arm-elf-gcc -g -I/d/ecos-work/myeCos_install/include hello.c
-L/

d/ecos-work/myeCos_install/lib -Ttarget.ld -nostdlib

The executable program will be called a.out. If you prefer some other name
add the option \x13 o my_own_name.

The commands to run the program look like this.

Alternative 1 \x13  prompt

bash.exe-2.04$ arm-elf-gdb -nw a.out

GNU gdb 5.0

conditions.

This GDB was configured as "--host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=arm-elf"...

(gdb) set remotebaud 38400

(gdb) target remote COM1

Remote debugging using COM1

0x401a604 in ?? ()

(gdb) load

Start address 0xc060 , load size 61204

Transfer rate: 28801 bits/sec, 302 bytes/write.

(gdb) continue

Continuing.

Hello, eCos world!

NOTE: Make sure the paths don\x19 t contain any spaces.

Alternative 2 \x13  graphical

bash.exe-2.04$ arm-elf-gdb a.out &

This command invokes the graphical Insight-debugger. To run your program
through this interface just select \x18 Run\x19 . First you will be prompted to
select which target you want to connect to, select \x18 Remote/Serial\x19  and
press ok, then you can see when your code being downloaded to the board.

Good luck

/Andreas

* Re: [ECOS]Hello World on AEB rev.C
@ 2000-11-08  6:18       ` Andrea Acquaviva
From: Andrea Acquaviva @ 2000-11-08  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

       [not found]   ` <3A07FC30.E7D865F8@deis.unibo.it>
@ 2000-11-07  8:27     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-07  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Acquaviva; +Cc: eCos discussion

[ BTW, your mail address bounces ]

Andrea Acquaviva wrote:

> Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
> > Andrea Acquaviva wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I followed the instructions on the manuals to build eCos for AEB revC
> > > board and
> > > link it with the Hello World example, but when I start with the
> > > debugging after
> > > the download, the "insight" debugger crashes.  I use Angel as a debug
> > > monitor in the target board.
> > > The steps I made to build eCos for AEB are the followings:
> > >
> > > - ecosconfig new aeb
> > > - in the ecos.ecc file I set the user_value in the
> > > CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AEB_REVISION option
> > >     section to "C".
> > > - in the same file I set the user_value in the CYG_HAL_STARTUP option
> > > section to "RAM".
> > > - ecosconfig tree
> > > - make
> > >
> > > Are there some settings that I need to be aware to keep executables
> > > working on
> > > the AEB board with Angel remote debug monitor?
> >
> > You cannot use RAM-loaded eCos applications under Angel. Instead you should
> > reprogram the board with GDB stubs. This is described in the Getting
> > Started documentation.
> >
> > Jifl
> > --
> > Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
> > "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own fault
>
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the prebuilt version of the gdb-stub (gdb_module-revC.img,
> version 1.2.2) ,

You mean downloaded as in programmed in flash right?

@ 2000-11-07  6:15   ` Andrea Acquaviva
       [not found]   ` <3A07FC30.E7D865F8@deis.unibo.it>
From: Andrea Acquaviva @ 2000-11-07  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecos-discuss

Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> You cannot use RAM-loaded eCos applications under Angel. Instead you should
> reprogram the board with GDB stubs. This is described in the Getting
> Started documentation.
>
> Jifl
> --
> Red Hat, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK. CB2 1NS  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
> "Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow."  ||  These opinions are all my own fault

Hi,

I downloaded the prebuilt version of the gdb-stub (gdb_module-revC.img,version
1.2.2) ,
but after the connection with the target (set to remote/serial, 9600 baud),
I'm not able to dowload
the hello executable (the download command has no visible effect).

What's the problem?

--

@ 2000-11-06 11:34 ` Jonathan Larmour
       [not found]   ` <3A07FC30.E7D865F8@deis.unibo.it>
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2000-11-06 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Acquaviva; +Cc: ecos-discuss

Andrea Acquaviva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I followed the instructions on the manuals to build eCos for AEB revC
> board and
> link it with the Hello World example, but when I start with the
> debugging after
> the download, the "insight" debugger crashes.  I use Angel as a debug
> monitor in the target board.
> The steps I made to build eCos for AEB are the followings:
>
> - ecosconfig new aeb
> - in the ecos.ecc file I set the user_value in the
> CYGHWR_HAL_ARM_AEB_REVISION option
>     section to "C".
> - in the same file I set the user_value in the CYG_HAL_STARTUP option
> section to "RAM".
> - ecosconfig tree
> - make
>
> Are there some settings that I need to be aware to keep executables
> working on
> the AEB board with Angel remote debug monitor?

You cannot use RAM-loaded eCos applications under Angel. Instead you should
reprogram the board with GDB stubs. This is described in the Getting
Started documentation.

Jifl

* [ECOS]Hello World on AEB rev.C
@ 2000-11-06  2:46 Andrea Acquaviva