* FSF license?
@ 2004-12-01 14:55 Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-12-01 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: eCos Maintainers

Any news on this?  Any hopes that it will *ever* happen?

We've been in a holding pattern for nearly a year...

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates

* Re: FSF license?
@ 2004-12-01 18:04 ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-12-01 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Thomas; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Gary Thomas wrote:
> Any news on this?  Any hopes that it will *ever* happen?
>
> We've been in a holding pattern for nearly a year...

I was thinking about this just last night. I propose that when it hits one
year in, ooo, 6 weeks, we send RH legal a warning that if it isn't resolved
ASAP we will issue a Press Release expressing our
dissatisfaction/disappointment etc. with Red Hat for breaking their promise.

And if they don't respond, indeed issue a Press Release, and send it to
lwn, slashdot, etc.etc. Perhaps even have it at the front of the ecos web site.

It's time to force the issue. If we wait till Jan 13th the PR will be able
to be written for better effect.

Jifl

* Re: FSF license?
@ 2004-12-01 18:23   ` Gary Thomas
From: Gary Thomas @ 2004-12-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

On Wed, 2004-12-01 at 11:04, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> > Any news on this?  Any hopes that it will *ever* happen?
> >
> > We've been in a holding pattern for nearly a year...
>
> I was thinking about this just last night. I propose that when it hits one
> year in, ooo, 6 weeks, we send RH legal a warning that if it isn't resolved
> ASAP we will issue a Press Release expressing our
> dissatisfaction/disappointment etc. with Red Hat for breaking their promise.
>
> And if they don't respond, indeed issue a Press Release, and send it to
> lwn, slashdot, etc.etc. Perhaps even have it at the front of the ecos web site.
>
> It's time to force the issue. If we wait till Jan 13th the PR will be able
> to be written for better effect.

Agreed.  I'm glad I'm not the only one a little unhappy with this [lack
of] progress.

--

@ 2004-12-02  8:21   ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2004-12-02  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Larmour; +Cc: Gary Thomas, eCos Maintainers

On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:04:36PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> Gary Thomas wrote:
> >Any news on this?  Any hopes that it will *ever* happen?
> >
> >We've been in a holding pattern for nearly a year...
>
> I was thinking about this just last night. I propose that when it hits one
> year in, ooo, 6 weeks, we send RH legal a warning that if it isn't resolved
> ASAP we will issue a Press Release expressing our
> dissatisfaction/disappointment etc. with Red Hat for breaking their promise.
>
> And if they don't respond, indeed issue a Press Release, and send it to
> lwn, slashdot, etc.etc. Perhaps even have it at the front of the ecos web
> site.
>
> It's time to force the issue. If we wait till Jan 13th the PR will be able
> to be written for better effect.

How about sending the warning two weeks before the year is up letting
them know that on the anniversary the press release will be published.
I think its important to put a date to the threat so they at least
know when they have to do something by. A straight year seems better
than 1 year plus a couple of weeks.

     Andrew

* Re: FSF license?
@ 2004-12-02 14:28     ` Jonathan Larmour
From: Jonathan Larmour @ 2004-12-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: eCos Maintainers

Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:04:36PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
>
>>Gary Thomas wrote:
>>
>>>Any news on this?  Any hopes that it will *ever* happen?
>>>
>>>We've been in a holding pattern for nearly a year...
>>
>>I was thinking about this just last night. I propose that when it hits one
>>year in, ooo, 6 weeks, we send RH legal a warning that if it isn't resolved
>>ASAP we will issue a Press Release expressing our
>>dissatisfaction/disappointment etc. with Red Hat for breaking their promise.
>>
>>And if they don't respond, indeed issue a Press Release, and send it to
>>lwn, slashdot, etc.etc. Perhaps even have it at the front of the ecos web
>>site.
>>
>>It's time to force the issue. If we wait till Jan 13th the PR will be able
>>to be written for better effect.
>

> How about sending the warning two weeks before the year is up letting
> them know that on the anniversary the press release will be published.
> I think its important to put a date to the threat so they at least
> know when they have to do something by. A straight year seems better
> than 1 year plus a couple of weeks.

Suits me fine too.

Jifl