public inbox for elfutils@sourceware.org
* make check fails for version 0.189 on aarch64
@ 2023-09-15 18:42 Jonatan Schlag
From: Jonatan Schlag @ 2023-09-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: elfutils-devel

Hi,

I'm currently trying to build elfutils in version 0.189 on an aarch64
system. Unfortunately, make check fails with the following errors:

https://nopaste.ipfire.org/view/Sx7pjy4g

The full log can be found here:

https://pakfire.ipfire.org/jobs/28a23239-80a6-4a24-b506-dbc367d96afa/log

The same configuration works on x86_64. I currently run out of ideas
what to try next. I know that the test suite passes on Debian for
aarch64. So there must be an error with the system itself, but as said,
I lack ideas how to debug this further.

Some input would be highly appreciated.

Greetings Jonatan

* Re: make check fails for version 0.189 on aarch64
@ 2023-09-15 21:24 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2023-09-15 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonatan Schlag; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi Jonatan,

On Fri, Sep 15, 2023 at 08:42:28PM +0200, Jonatan Schlag via Elfutils-devel wrote:
> I'm currently trying to build elfutils in version 0.189 on an aarch64
> system. Unfortunately, make check fails with the following errors:
>
> https://nopaste.ipfire.org/view/Sx7pjy4g
>
> The full log can be found here:
>
> https://pakfire.ipfire.org/jobs/28a23239-80a6-4a24-b506-dbc367d96afa/log
>
> The same configuration works on x86_64. I currently run out of ideas
> what to try next. I know that the test suite passes on Debian for
> aarch64. So there must be an error with the system itself, but as said,
> I lack ideas how to debug this further.
>
> Some input would be highly appreciated.

So you only got 4 FAILs.

FAIL: run-backtrace-native.sh
FAIL: run-backtrace-dwarf.sh
FAIL: run-backtrace-native-core.sh
FAIL: run-deleted.sh

And they all seem to fail in the same way. You get a backtrace, but
almost all symbol names come out empty/null.

But your configure line does contain -g so you should at least get it
for the elfutils libraries and (test) programs. The only possible
issue with your configure line is the use of -fdebug-prefix-map which
I believe doesn't work correctly when also using LTO.

And maybe your /usr/lib64/libc.so.6 might not have any symbols?

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: make check fails for version 0.189 on aarch64
@ 2023-09-18 13:31   ` Jonatan Schlag
From: Jonatan Schlag @ 2023-09-18 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: elfutils-devel

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the prompt response. This error is now resolved. The test
suite is happy. Turns out, it was a problem in then underlying image.
After we updated it, the error went away.

Greetings Jonatan