public inbox for fortran@gcc.gnu.org
From: Roland Hughes <roland@logikalsolutions.com>
To: fortran@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: F77 indexed file support
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 16:18:58 -0600	[thread overview]

All,

I'm getting back into Fortran after many years away and was going to
start with my goto kick the tires application. Basically the lottery
tracking system found in this book.

https://www.theminimumyouneedtoknow.com/app_book.html

The first cut was Fortran 77 on the VAX. There we could create/use
indexed files with OPEN statements much like this:

  210  OPEN (UNIT=K_DRAW_CHAN,
      1        FILE=DRAWING_DATA,
      2        STATUS='OLD',
      3        ORGANIZATION='INDEXED',
      4        ACCESS='KEYED',
      5        RECORDTYPE='FIXED',
      6        FORM='UNFORMATTED',
      7        RECL=K_DRAWING_RECORD_SIZE/4,
      8        CARRIAGECONTROL='FORTRAN',
      9        KEY=(1:8:CHARACTER),
      1        DISP='KEEP',
      2        IOSTAT=L_DRAW_ERR,
      3        ERR=999)

The ORGANIZATION='INDEXED' is key.

GnuCOBOL

https://gnucobol.sourceforge.io/

uses the BerkleyDB (sp?) library so the standard COBOL indexed file
support from the big computers can at least be mimicked.

I'm searching everywhere and I cannot find Gnu Fortran (any flavor)
having an ORGANIZATION clause in the OPEN(). Is this true? Are we forced
to use some SQLite wrapper library when porting VAX/VMS FORTRAN to Linux?

Btw, is there a "search" utility for the archives or do I have to pull
down all of the zip files, unzip into directory, and grep to look for
stuff like this? I'm guessing it has come up before.

Thanks,

Roland

--
Roland Hughes, President