public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* elfutils use patterns in frysk
@ 2007-11-06 17:49 Sami Wagiaalla
From: Sami Wagiaalla @ 2007-11-06 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, frysk

Hi Frank,

A while back you asked about elfutils use patterns in Frysk.
I only know abut libdw* so everybody feel free to add to this:

Okay so there are two types of items here:

Things we do routinely in frysk that require more than one libdw* call:

- getting the function die corresponding an address:
   - dwfl_addrdie (get compilation unit)
   - dwarf_get_scopes (first scope is the narrowest die containing the
give address)
   - dwarf_get_scopes_die (get physical scopes)
   - iterate until the first DW_TAG_subprogram
- Getting functions have have been inlined into a function currently in
frame
  simmilar to above.

Things we do to get C++ information out of the C'ish dwarf information
(also involves more than one libdw* function call, hurestics, etc.):

- Getting a class to which a function belongs
   similar to getting functions above, with an extra step to follow
DW_TAG_specification
- Deciding when a member function/variable is/isnt static
  - checking Tags and artificial parameter.

I cant think of more atm... I will update you as I do.
If there isnt enough detail in the above please let me know.

Cheers,
  Sami