public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* elfutils use patterns in frysk
@ 2007-11-06 17:49 Sami Wagiaalla
From: Sami Wagiaalla @ 2007-11-06 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Ch. Eigler, frysk

Hi Frank,

A while back you asked about elfutils use patterns in Frysk.
I only know abut libdw* so everybody feel free to add to this:

Okay so there are two types of items here:

Things we do routinely in frysk that require more than one libdw* call:

- getting the function die corresponding an address:
   - dwfl_addrdie (get compilation unit)
   - dwarf_get_scopes (first scope is the narrowest die containing the
give address)
   - dwarf_get_scopes_die (get physical scopes)
   - iterate until the first DW_TAG_subprogram
- Getting functions have have been inlined into a function currently in
frame
  simmilar to above.

Things we do to get C++ information out of the C'ish dwarf information
(also involves more than one libdw* function call, hurestics, etc.):

- Getting a class to which a function belongs
   similar to getting functions above, with an extra step to follow
DW_TAG_specification
- Deciding when a member function/variable is/isnt static
  - checking Tags and artificial parameter.

I cant think of more atm... I will update you as I do.
If there isnt enough detail in the above please let me know.

Cheers,
  Sami

* Re: elfutils use patterns in frysk
@ 2007-11-06 18:25 ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2007-11-06 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sami Wagiaalla; +Cc: Frank Ch. Eigler, frysk

Sami Wagiaalla wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> A while back you asked about elfutils use patterns in Frysk.
> I only know abut libdw* so everybody feel free to add to this:

FWIW I believe the current code that is in the frysk-sys/lib/dwfl is
based on a simple facade OOP pattern (as far as I can tell, I was not
the original author of this code). So imo it should be noted that what
we have are not, and should never be considered as a binding.  For
example there is no memory management, and there is a simple
transactional contract that does not exist outside of each call.

> Okay so there are two types of items here:

A third usage pattern is elf bindings for building corefiles, which are
not dwfl based. These are fundamental bindings (ElfSection, ElfEHeader,
ElfSectionHeader, ElfProgramHeader, ElfData) and so on.These are
basically 1:1 mappings on the Gelf api. There is also some meta-code
that deals with corefile note based bindings, but these are likely to be
very specialized. I do not consider these as a first priority (or a
second, or third) for Frank's work. I can't think who would use them
other than Frysk and we already have custom code that deals with that.

I know Petr uses these in some way as well. Maybe he can add more detail
here.

Regards

Phil

* Re: elfutils use patterns in frysk
@ 2007-11-06 21:36   ` Petr Machata
From: Petr Machata @ 2007-11-06 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Muldoon; +Cc: Sami Wagiaalla, Frank Ch. Eigler, frysk

Phil Muldoon wrote:
> A third usage pattern is elf bindings for building corefiles, which are
> not dwfl based. These are fundamental bindings (ElfSection, ElfEHeader,
> ElfSectionHeader, ElfProgramHeader, ElfData) and so on.These are
> basically 1:1 mappings on the Gelf api.

[...]

> I know Petr uses these in some way as well. Maybe he can add more detail
> here.

I don't really deal with corefiles.  I've written what I needed for
fl?trace, which was handling of symbols and their versions, and few
related things.  Those are usually very straightforward libelf wrappers.

> Phil

PM

* Re: elfutils use patterns in frysk
@ 2007-11-06 21:56     ` Phil Muldoon
From: Phil Muldoon @ 2007-11-06 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Machata; +Cc: Sami Wagiaalla, Frank Ch. Eigler, frysk

Petr Machata wrote:
> I don't really deal with corefiles.  I've written what I needed for
> fl?trace, which was handling of symbols and their versions, and few
> related things.  Those are usually very straightforward libelf wrappers.

Sorry, not in respect to corefiles, but what you have written for symbol
usage. I think general solicitation as to how Frysk uses elfutils would
build a bigger picture so that the C++ bindings Frank is working on
could be properly targeted?

Regards

Phil