* Multiple descriptions for fassert in gcc/d/lang.opt and gcc/java/lang.opt
@ 2022-03-29  8:11 Zopolis0
From: Zopolis0 @ 2022-03-29  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

While trying to compile gcc with gcj re-added, it breaks on there being
multiple declarations of fassert in gcc/d/lang.opt and gcc/java/lang.opt.

options.cc:3241:2: error: #error Multiple different help strings for
fassert:
 3241 | #error Multiple different help strings for fassert:
      |  ^~~~~
options.cc:3242:2: error: ‘Generate’ was not declared in this scope
 3242 |  Generate code for assert contracts.
      |  ^~~~~~~~
options.cc:3242:11: error: expected ‘}’ before ‘code’
 3242 |  Generate code for assert contracts.

Given that both of these definitions seem to be necessary, how do I resolve
this conflict?
gcc/java/lang.opt
fassert
Java Var(flag_assert) Init(1)
Permit the use of the assert keyword.gcc/d/lang.opt
fassert
D Var(flag_assert)
Generate code for assert contracts.

* Re: Multiple descriptions for fassert in gcc/d/lang.opt and gcc/java/lang.opt
@ 2022-03-29 15:41 ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2022-03-29 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zopolis0, gcc-help

On Tue, 2022-03-29 at 19:11 +1100, Zopolis0 via Gcc-help wrote:
> While trying to compile gcc with gcj re-added, it breaks on there being
> multiple declarations of fassert in gcc/d/lang.opt and gcc/java/lang.opt.

Is there a project adding gcj back to GCC?

If yes, it's better to discuss in gcc@gcc.gnu.org.  gcc-help is
generally for "help in building or using GCC."

Otherwise, you can't just inject some code died five years ago into the
current GCC tree and expect it to work.
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@mengyan1223.wang>

* Re: Multiple descriptions for fassert in gcc/d/lang.opt and gcc/java/lang.opt
@ 2022-03-30  9:32   ` Zopolis0
From: Zopolis0 @ 2022-03-30  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xi Ruoyao; +Cc: gcc-help

No project, just me :p

I was asking in gcc-help because this isn't an error related to gcj
specifically, as it applies to any scenarios where there are multiple
definitions for the same thing in different lang.opt files. I've gotten
everything else to compile (bar libjava, haven't started that yet) with a
hack commenting out one of the definitions though, so I'm wondering about
the best way to resolve this conflict.

@ 2022-03-30 12:00     ` Segher Boessenkool
From: Segher Boessenkool @ 2022-03-30 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zopolis0; +Cc: Xi Ruoyao, gcc-help

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 08:32:04PM +1100, Zopolis0 via Gcc-help wrote:
> I was asking in gcc-help because this isn't an error related to gcj
> specifically, as it applies to any scenarios where there are multiple
> definitions for the same thing in different lang.opt files.

You can look at how d/lang.opt handles this for its conflicts with C.
Warning: it is very underwhelming :-)  It does require the documentation
to be the same for both languages, which probably is a good idea anyway.

Segher