* Question
@ 2022-11-29  9:03 Mo Alamili
From: Mo Alamili @ 2022-11-29  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Does GCC suffer from costly errors due to outdated versions of construction
drawings?

We have significantly reduced the error rate in version management for
similar companies such as: Dura Vermeer, Besix, TBI and Gebr. van der Lee.

There are often numerous different construction drawings in circulation.
This can result in costly errors, project delays and ultimately a lot of
extra work.

F5
<https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_7dhAAytWEuqurvMP4/enc_U2FsdGVkX1-APak3oUSchzsbjVau3ReWWnav36sODuC43z9-RrWY-sh3hOt8XzX_9K8GWw93Iqo-wSEmVt6W39oqr6BbzGzdPWIrebP9SHdXVAqt4V8JFDflR1ahgr_x6afcRG_ng4RL-MkB4axNQg==>
helps avoid this and significantly reduces the error rate with automatic
QR-placements on all types of PDF documents regardless of the DMS system.

As a result, operational staff always have the latest version of the
construction drawings to base decisions on.

I’d love to show you more. Are you open to a call on Thursday this week?

Regards,

Mo Alamili | Co-Founder & CEO

F5 Scan | f5scan.com
<https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_7dhAAytWEuqurvMP4/enc_U2FsdGVkX1-IRWknH02j20Np5E6tIMoVjW-Z2irdToCouihwhTkIztZTvNk8AnRA>

Schedule a meeting
<https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_7dhAAytWEuqurvMP4/enc_U2FsdGVkX1-smR9AwtHl91Ns9uaGVfSGNbNPcKMOlVLXC5Gp_LLm-Weeg5eVPeCl5tPBbM0AwFo4UZRsNwUGZA==>
[image: logo]

* Question
@ 2022-12-02  9:06 ` Mo Alamili
From: Mo Alamili @ 2022-12-02  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Following up on my previous email, as they have a tendency to slip through
the cracks.

It might be interesting for you to see how you can reduce the error rate
for construction projects and what it means for GCC.

Click here
<https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_xwq5WZ4L8jw5Tomm8/enc_U2FsdGVkX18o8_Ni6A9Ac1mU2ZXGbyIhZZuxkPf6Xz8Lo6mht8E7A7fLjD9gtTrQgwZj1BjUL1I-9C80Ot6XOM_XzyjJk_N8J_Z7MdDYh6JVc8sFS6ca5ccg9IUWIy2zEn9cq3WxN5IYr_dztvI5IB5ZRVhQXUqErofUpJY9OzM=>
for more information.

Would it be helpful if we scheduled 15-20 minutes to discuss how GCC can
control countless versions of construction drawings?

Regards,

Mo Alamili | Co-Founder & CEO

F5 Scan | f5scan.com
<https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_xwq5WZ4L8jw5Tomm8/enc_U2FsdGVkX1_EaFK39SFwjQm0CxSDd6pZ_fD8qVNC9eZZnQMnxYauLUa5gz8HnydF>

Schedule a meeting
<https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_xwq5WZ4L8jw5Tomm8/enc_U2FsdGVkX1-Ivqgo06Q8Zb59XpqAxxVAEx5Lf_Cebh74jN0ksZLFGpE1qI5ihscQIeprdDPl_UXM4EH2cFwpzA==>
On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 10:03 AM, Mo Alamili <malamili@f5-scan.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Does GCC suffer from costly errors due to outdated versions of
> construction drawings?
>

> We have significantly reduced the error rate in version management for
> similar companies such as: Dura Vermeer, Besix, TBI and Gebr. van der Lee.
>

> There are often numerous different construction drawings in circulation.
> This can result in costly errors, project delays and ultimately a lot of
> extra work.
>

> F5
> <https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_xwq5WZ4L8jw5Tomm8/enc_U2FsdGVkX1-8kHUgETRgpWRzIPnqNms-uCw-AefJ-BzeTAF3j3E187HFQ1XO-TG1QA2UzZosecIsM3UBG8W_il3lbZQkYf2b7yqQEccdXqtrapN54Ur3wufHlfLHBiH4vPulZ-bzMYTnvbMmnPFPvg==>
> helps avoid this and significantly reduces the error rate with automatic
> QR-placements on all types of PDF documents regardless of the DMS system.
>

> As a result, operational staff always have the latest version of the
> construction drawings to base decisions on.
>

> I’d love to show you more. Are you open to a call on Thursday this week?
>

> Regards,
>

> Mo Alamili | Co-Founder & CEO
>
> F5 Scan | f5scan.com
> <https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_xwq5WZ4L8jw5Tomm8/enc_U2FsdGVkX1--4vTa178dV8sjhPE0C7kU4xyL0xicT5O5iB55UR-uxmiyA7dX-mcR>
>
> Schedule a meeting
> <https://trail.f5-scan.com/api/t/c/usr_oaTXKPm4kwjPggogn/tsk_xwq5WZ4L8jw5Tomm8/enc_U2FsdGVkX1-X5GFtXMNCe2rsdbmpKfG00V6A5gNB4udvVffoH0E4j7IrSq5b98BEugqNvnyIj3CmMFePQVkTmw==>

[image: logo]

* Question
@ 2020-09-04 23:44     ` tele
From: tele @ 2020-09-04 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Why has no one posted here  https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc-help/
a curl script to download all attachments or a specific amount?
To search the content or to check question if is there.

* Re: Question
@ 2014-10-13  9:55   ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-10-13  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Hagood; +Cc: gcc-help, Graziano Servizi

On 12 October 2014 13:54, David Hagood wrote:
> somewhat OT: I wouldn't put spaces between the class name, the colon, and
> the variable name in your code; they are all one thing - the name of the
> object being accessed. Also, use "std::endl" to end a sequence of insertions
> to a stream, not just '\n' - std::endl has more semantic meaning to the
> system, it really means "I am done with this line, do whatever you need to
> do, such as flushing it to the file", vs. "\n" which just means "insert a
> newline character".

std::endl is defined to be a newline followed by a flush, nothing more.

* Re: Question
@ 2014-10-12 12:54 ` David Hagood
From: David Hagood @ 2014-10-12 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, Graziano.Servizi

On 10/07/2014 08:57 AM, Graziano Servizi wrote:
> So, if I have well understood I could write such a short code:
>
> # include <iostream>
>
> class P
>   {
>    friend void friend_inline()
>     {std :: cout << P :: Name << ' ' << p << '\n';}
    You will need to qualify "p" as well:
    {std :: cout << P::Name << ' ' << P::p << '\n';}
>    static constexpr int Name = 20;
>    static constexpr double p = 12.5;
>
>    };
>
> int main()
>   {
>    P p;
>    // how can I call friend_inline ?
      friend_inline();
> }
It's just a function.

It's probably more clear if you split the definition of the function,
the declaration of it being a friend, and the implementation:

// Declaration: there exists a function named "friend_inline"...
void friend_inline();

// Class declaration.
class P
  {
   // Class P allows a non-class function "friend_inline" to access its
private variables...
   friend void friend_inline();
   static constexpr int Name = 20;
   static constexpr double p = 12.5;

   };

// Definition of the function "friend_inline"
void friend_inline()
{
   std::cout << P::Name << ' ' << P::p << std::endl;
}

Each of these things - declaration, friending, and definition - are
separate things. They can be combined into one statement (as in your
example) for brevity, but they still are 3 different things.

Also: be VERY CAREFUL about using friend - it's almost always a bad
idea. You are almost always better off making one or more public member
functions, and calling them, than you are exposing every last private
member to a non-member function.

@ 2014-10-07 13:57 Graziano Servizi
From: Graziano Servizi @ 2014-10-07 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I read in the 3.4.1.9 clause of the C++11 standard:

Name lookup for a name used in the definition of a friend function
(11.3) defined inline in the class granting
friendship shall proceed as described for lookup in member function
definitions. If the friend function is
not defined in the class granting friendship, name lookup in the friend
function definition shall proceed as
described for lookup in namespace member function definitions.

Later, in the 11.3.6 clause I found:

A function can be defined in a friend declaration of a class if and only
if the class is a non-local class (9.8),
the function name is unqualified, and the function has namespace scope.
[ Example:
class M {
friend void f() { }
// definition of global f, a friend of M,
// not the definition of a member function
};
— end example ]

So, if I have well understood I could write such a short code:

# include <iostream>

class P
  {
   friend void friend_inline()
    {std :: cout << P :: Name << ' ' << p << '\n';}
   static constexpr int Name = 20;
   static constexpr double p = 12.5;

   };

int main()
  {
   P p;
   // how can I call friend_inline ?
}

which indeed is compiled by 4.8.3 g++ compiler. But the question is in
the comment: I tried both the call as if friend_inline was in global
scope (the standard said "global definition") and the call through the
::  scope resolution operator such as

P :: friend_inline();

Neither worked. I also tried adding a public member to P as a "wrapper"
of friend_inline (so making it and its friendship redundant), but the
compiler claimed that friend_inline was undeclared in the class scope...

I can't understand...

                          Graziano Servizi

* Re: question
@ 2014-07-21  9:10 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-07-21  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graziano Servizi; +Cc: gcc-help

On 21 July 2014 09:51, Graziano Servizi wrote:
> Is there an "undefined behaviour" in the following short code?
>

> //
> # include <iostream>
> # include <functional>
>
>  int main(  )
>  {
>   int c = 90;
>   double r = 70;
>   auto v = [c] (double c)
>    {std::cout << "homonymous dummy argument ... " << c << std::endl;};
>   v(r);
>  }
>

> //
>
> I ask this because the gnu-gcc compiler prints out the value of the
> "captured" int c = 90 variable, while clang prints the value of the double r
> = 70 transmitted argument instead...

It looks like a GCC bug, please report it to Bugzilla.

* question
@ 2014-07-21  8:51 Graziano Servizi
From: Graziano Servizi @ 2014-07-21  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Is there an "undefined behaviour" in the following short code?

//
# include <iostream>
# include <functional>

  int main(  )
  {
   int c = 90;
   double r = 70;
   auto v = [c] (double c)
    {std::cout << "homonymous dummy argument ... " << c << std::endl;};
   v(r);
  }

//

I ask this because the gnu-gcc compiler prints out the value of the
"captured" int c = 90 variable, while clang prints the value of the
double r = 70 transmitted argument instead...

Thanks for your attention.

G. Servizi

* Re: question
@ 2014-02-04  8:11 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2014-02-04  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graziano Servizi; +Cc: gcc-help

On 3 February 2014 17:37, Graziano Servizi wrote:
> How could this (included) very short code work?
> It isn't a NOT SAFE conversion that made inside void fun?

(This is not a question about GCC, so it would be better in a general
C++ forum.)

static_cast does not check for safe conversions, it's your
responsibility to use it correctly.

If you aren't sure the conversion is safe then use dynamic_cast.

* Re: question
@ 2014-02-03 17:53 ` Ángel González
From: Ángel González @ 2014-02-03 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Graziano Servizi; +Cc: gcc-help

On 03/02/14 18:37, Graziano Servizi wrote:
> How could this (included) very short code work?
> It isn't a NOT SAFE conversion that made inside void fun?
>
> How can the A pointer know about the B's member f() ?
>
> I'm using gcc 4.8.2 on a Linux Fedora 19 system.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> G. Servizi

The a pointer knows nothing about B's member f().
The compiler sees that you are calling B::f(), and calls it (expecting a
B object) with a A object. As B::f() doesn't use anything of B, you are
“lucky” and it happens to run fine. If you were to call a B variable, it
would be accessing random meemory.
Equally, if it had to access the vtable for accesing f(), it would fail,
too. you can mark f() as “virtual” in order to force that and get at
runtime the Segmentation fault you seem to be expecting.

That this invalid code happens to «work» on this compiler version
doesn't make it more legal nor should it be taken as promoting its
(mis)use, etc. etc.

* question
@ 2014-02-03 17:37 Graziano Servizi
From: Graziano Servizi @ 2014-02-03 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

How could this (included) very short code work?
It isn't a NOT SAFE conversion that made inside void fun?

How can the A pointer know about the B's member f() ?

I'm using gcc 4.8.2 on a Linux Fedora 19 system.

Thanks for your help.

G. Servizi

Code follows:

# include <iostream>
using namespace std;

  class A {/*omissis*/};
  class B : public A
   {/*omissis*/
    public:
    void f( ){cout<<"bye\n";}};

  void fun(A *a)
  {
  B *b = static_cast<B *>(a);
  b -> f( );
  }

  int main( )
  {
  A *a = new A;
  fun(a);

* Re: Question
@ 2005-10-30  5:00 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-10-30  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matias Trocki; +Cc: gcc-help

"Matias Trocki" <matiastrocki@hotmail.com> writes:

> I need a compiler for C language. Only C if possible. I do not know
> how or where can I find this compiler.

gcc is a compiler for the C language.  It also supports several other
languages, but you are not required to use or even build that support.
See the --enable-languages option to configure.  For details on how to
get gcc if you do not already have it, see http://gcc.gnu.org/.

Ian

* Question
@ 2005-10-29 21:02 Matias Trocki
From: Matias Trocki @ 2005-10-29 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi
I need a compiler for C language. Only C if possible. I do not know how or
where can I find this compiler.
Thanks
Matias

* Re: Question
@ 2004-12-02 15:36 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-12-02 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Roberto Ausas, gcc-help

Hi Roberto,

C++ is not inherently slower (nor faster) than C.

Keep in mind:  bad programs (e.g., slow programs) can be written in any
language.

What C++ does is provide language constructs for certain paradigms of
programming that C doesn't support in the language itself.  Although those
programming paradigms CAN be done in C, it's just that the language does
not provide any assistance with those programming paradigms as part of the
language specification.  (Paradigms such as generic programming, object
oriented programming, and functional programming.)

Many scientific programs are written procedurally, and C is really good as
a procedural programming implementation language.  (So is C++, since C++ is
mostly a superset of C.)

For scientific programming, the primary language of choice is FORTRAN.  (My
information may be out of date, but that was the case the last time I checked.)

Other "first choice" languages for scientific programming:  Mathematica, C,
C++, and Ada.

My own opinion on scientific programming is to go with Mathematica.  Dr.
Wolfram's "A New Kind of Science" may not pass the sniff test, but his
Mathematica is a beautiful tool/language for scientific and pure
mathematics purposes.

My next preference is C++ (over C), since I think that object oriented
programming and (slightly) stronger typing of C++ can help create
correct/complete programs more easily in the scientific arena.  If you opt
to investigate C++, I recommend adding in the BOOST (www.boost.org) libraries.

HTH,
--Eljay

At 09:11 AM 12/2/2004, Roberto Ausas wrote:
>Hi,
>
>My name is Roberto.I am developing a computational code for scientific
>calculations and I am using C and gcc to compile my programs. For
>different reasons, I have to decide whether to pass to C++ or not, so I
>would like to know if C++ programs (e.g. compiled with g++) are slower
>than C programs?
>
>Thank you in advance
>
>I look forward to hearing from you soon
>
>Regards
>
>Roberto

* Re: Question
@ 2004-12-02 15:25 ` Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda
From: Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda @ 2004-12-02 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Roberto Ausas

Hi,

I think that it's some time a polemic question. Look this link:

http://unthought.net/c++/c_vs_c++.html

Best regards,

Leo

A Dijous 02 Desembre 2004 16:11, Roberto Ausas va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Roberto.I am developing a computational code for scientific
> calculations and I am using C and gcc to compile my programs. For
> different reasons, I have to decide whether to pass to C++ or not, so I
> would like to know if C++ programs (e.g. compiled with g++) are slower
> than C programs?
>
> Thank you in advance
>
> I look forward to hearing from you soon
>
> Regards
>
> Roberto

* Question
@ 2004-12-02 15:11 Roberto Ausas
From: Roberto Ausas @ 2004-12-02 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 2004-08-19 16:27 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2004-08-19 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: balan, gcc-help

Hi Balan,

GNU - GNU's Not Unix

--Eljay

* question
@ 2004-08-19 16:21 balan
From: balan @ 2004-08-19 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi

This is balan frm chennai, i getting more help from the site
http://gcc.gnu.org  pertaining to Gnu C++ Compiler  and thanx

Answer to my question pls
What is abrevation of GNU ?

with regards
balan

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.

* Re: question
@ 2002-06-13 16:17 Brett Hunt
From: Brett Hunt @ 2002-06-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, Antonio Fontinha

Add a '-v' without quotes to your compile command to see more information.
Like: gcc -v -o hello hello.c

Is the linker trying to link the same file twice? Have you inadvertently reused a name that exists in the libraries that are getting linked in?

Try the -v and see if that gives you more information that helps.
---
brett
-----------------------------------
"To the world you may be just
   somebody.
 But to somebody you may be the
   world."
-----------------------------------

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:53:00
 Antonio Fontinha wrote:
>Hi, I'm using gcc 3.0.4.
>
>And I'm getting the following error:
>
>TOIOSInterface.o: In function
>`UCS_TOTranferAgent::TOIOSInterface::TOIOSInterface()':
>/export/home/eid/miguel/TO Transfer Agent/TOIOSInterface.cpp:63: multiple
>definition of `UCS_TOTranferAgent::TOIOSInterface::TOIOSInterface()'
>TOIOSInterface.o:/export/home/eid/miguel/TO Transfer
>Agent/TOIOSInterface.cpp:63: first defined here
>TOIOSInterface.o: In function
>`UCS_TOTranferAgent::TOIOSInterface::TOIOSInterface()':
>/export/home/eid/miguel/TO Transfer Agent/TOIOSInterface.cpp:63: multiple
>definition of `UCS_TOTranferAgent::TOIOSInterface::TOIOSInterface()'
>TOIOSInterface.o:/export/home/eid/miguel/TO Transfer
>Agent/TOIOSInterface.cpp:63: first defined here
>collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>make: *** [TOTransferAgent] Error 1
>

>What this error means?
>
>Isn't this error saying that I've a 1st definition and a 2nd definition in
>the same place? (TOIOSInterface.cpp:63)
>
>I can assure that there is only one
>`UCS_TOTranferAgent::TOIOSInterface::TOIOSInterface()' definition. But this
>error occurs.
>
>What's happening? gcc confused?
>

>Thanks for your help, best regards:
> Miguel Fontinha
>

>P.S.: Is their any gcc switch to activate to give more error information?

WIN a first class trip to Hawaii.  Live like the King of Rock and Roll
on the big Island. Enter Now!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail/http://www.elvis.lycos.com/sweepstakes

* question
@ 2002-06-13 10:54 Antonio Fontinha
From: Antonio Fontinha @ 2002-06-13 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ 1999-12-31 22:24 ` petar
From: petar @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Please,
I am interesting about your GCC or EGCS on Linux.
My question is:
Did anyone (GCC or EGCS) have garbage collector, and
if have how it works?
I have problem with my program, when I want to reuse memory.
Is it clean? How can I reuse it?
Of course, for the first aid, tell me where I
can find answer (links...)
Thanks!

* question
@ 1999-12-15 11:06 petar
From: petar @ 1999-12-15 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-31 13:57 ` Rui Pedro Fernandes
From: Rui Pedro Fernandes @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'help-gcc@prep.ai.mit.edu'

Hi,

I wrote a C program that interprets messages received via TCP socket
connections and writes them to a log file. At the moment, the file's
pathname is a string constant defined in the source file, as follows:
   char TraceFile[] = "/user/lepaco/goted/dev/DEBUG/IEC_ALONE.log";
However I want to be able to define it in the makefile.
So I used    -DDEBUG_PATHNAME="/user/lepaco/goted/dev/DEBUG/IEC_ALONE.log"
in the cc command and replaced  'TraceFile' for 'DEBUG_PATHNAME' in the
source code.
But this doesn't work as 'make' says there is a " syntax error before / ".

Would you please help me on this?
Thank you very much

Rui Pedro

* Question