public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: preprocessor/5416: Need flag for cpp to allow fortran comments
@ 2002-01-17 18:46 Matt Fago
From: Matt Fago @ 2002-01-17 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR preprocessor/5416; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Matt Fago <fago@caltech.edu>
To: neil@gcc.gnu.org, fago@caltech.edu, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org,
        gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: preprocessor/5416: Need flag for cpp to allow fortran comments
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:37:52 -0800

 Using cpp with g77 is abusing cpp? I hope not!  I can certainly use sed,
 but I had hoped it would not be necessary in the future. BTW, suggesting
 that people use c-style comments in Fortran code seems silly, and would
 be difficult in my case even with sed.

 As for nixing the change ... ok, I certainly don't know the details.

 Matt

@ 2002-01-17 23:36 Neil Booth
From: Neil Booth @ 2002-01-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR preprocessor/5416; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Neil Booth <neil@daikokuya.demon.co.uk>
To: Matt Fago <fago@caltech.edu>
Cc: neil@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
	nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 07:28:49 +0000

 Matt Fago wrote:-

 > Using cpp with g77 is abusing cpp? I hope not!

 Of course it is, Fortran is not C, or a C-family language.

 > I can certainly use sed, but I had hoped it would not be necessary
 > in the future. BTW, suggesting that people use c-style comments in
 > Fortran code seems silly, and would be difficult in my case even
 > with sed.

 I didn't suggest using C-style comments.

 Neil.

* Re: preprocessor/5416: Need flag for cpp to allow fortran comments
@ 2002-01-17 13:54 neil
From: neil @ 2002-01-17 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fago, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

@ 2002-01-17 11:36 fago
From: fago @ 2002-01-17 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         5416
>Category:       preprocessor
>Synopsis:       Need flag for cpp to allow fortran comments
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          change-request
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Thu Jan 17 11:36:00 PST 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Matt Fago
>Release:        3.0.2
CPP does not currently understand fortran-type comments. I understand the reasoning behind this (as cpp is primarily for C), but it can cause considerable inconvienence when cpp is used with fortran source. I have a very large project in Fortran (written elsewhere) that contains hundreds of unmatched quotes in the fortran comments. It is necessary (although not too difficult) to deal with these. It would be much nicer in the future if I could simply tell cpp to ignore
the comments.
>How-To-Repeat:
process a fortran file with the line:

C What's wrong with this comment?
>Fix:
Add a "-fortran-comments" type flag to cpp that instructs cpp to correctly deal with fortran style comments.