public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: java/7514: help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library
@ 2002-08-07 10:26 George K. Thiruvathukal
From: George K. Thiruvathukal @ 2002-08-07 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/7514; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <gkt@math.luc.edu>
To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: java/7514: help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 10:49:30 -0500 (CDT)

 Hi, Andrew,

 Thanks, I will get the latest up and running and post a follow-up. Should
 I just respond to this particular ticket number or submit a new problem
 report?

 Thanks much for your response.

 George

 ----
 George K. Thiruvathukal
 Department of Computer Science                                (p) 773.508.8931
 Loyola University of Chicago                                  (f) 773.508.2123
 http://www.cs.luc.edu/~gkt                                    (e) gkt@cs.luc.edu

@ 2002-08-13 11:16 tromey
From: tromey @ 2002-08-13 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, gkt, java-prs, nobody, tromey

Synopsis: help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library

Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->tromey
Responsible-Changed-By: tromey
Responsible-Changed-When: Tue Aug 13 10:02:59 2002
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    I'm handling the administrivia.
State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: tromey
State-Changed-When: Tue Aug 13 10:02:59 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    From reading the history of this PR, I believe the
    problem has been resolved.  If not, tell me what remains
    and I will reopen the PR.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=7514

* Re: java/7514: help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library
@ 2002-08-07 15:36 George K. Thiruvathukal
From: George K. Thiruvathukal @ 2002-08-07 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/7514; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "George K. Thiruvathukal" <gkt@math.luc.edu>
To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 17:11:47 -0500 (CDT)

 To let you know: I actually had GCC 3 installed (had done it but was
 invoking the *wrong* compiler--the 2.96 version). I'm planning to write up
 a document that describes how to build a significant package and link an
 app using it together. I'll also be posting this on the list of projects
 that use GCJ.

 Thanks for your help and the efforts of the GCJ team.

 George

 ----

@ 2002-08-06 20:26 Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-08-06 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR java/7514; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
To: gkt@cs.luc.edu
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 23:19:22 -0400

@ 2002-08-06 20:06 gkt
From: gkt @ 2002-08-06 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         7514
>Category:       java
>Synopsis:       help in compiling a Java 1.1 class library
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Responsible:    unassigned
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Aug 06 20:06:00 PDT 2002
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     George K. Thiruvathukal
>Release:        gcj 2.96

I realize that I might receive less than an enthusiastic response for this posting. I am the author of a book, High-Performance Java Platform Computing. We produced a threads and networking library, compatible with Java 1.1 specs (i.e. not Java 2) and not containing any GUI code. I have been looking through the docs for the proper way to compile code. The code compiles cleanly with Java 1.1 and 1.2+ compilers. When I compile with GCJ, I end up getting a bunch of messages to the effect of not being able to find the classes. I have even tried various combinations  of the  various classpath options to ensure the current directory is in the path (.).

One thing you should know is that my code is in a proper "package" (org.jhpc.thread). I don't know whether this is messing things up or not.

In any event, I would really like to get this working properly. It is a collection of abstractions for threads programming, featured in my book, and I would even like to contribute to the GCJ project if there is any interest in higher-level abstractions for concurrent and parallel computing. If anyone is willing to help me, I'll provide code. (It is also available on my SourceForge web site under GPL licensing.)
>How-To-Repeat:
I can be contacted by e-mail for precise directions.
>Fix:
None known.