public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c/6326: gcc compile illegal code
@ 2002-09-12 17:26 Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-09-12 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6326; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
To: <gdr@gcc.gnu.org>,  <act.kronoz@activenetwork.it>,
     <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,  <ptrebuc@sophia.inria.fr>,
     <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: c/6326: gcc compile illegal code
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 01:20:38 +0100 (BST)

 On 10 Sep 2002 gdr@gcc.gnu.org wrote:

 > Synopsis: gcc compile illegal code
 >
 > State-Changed-From-To: closed->open
 > State-Changed-By: gdr
 > State-Changed-When: Tue Sep 10 16:33:59 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Closed by mistake.
 >     Andrew Pinski's analysis is not applicable since the part he
 >     is reading concerns function declaration that is not a definition
 >     and we're precisely in a case where that is irrelevant.
 >
 >     Furthermore, Neil's analysis alos isn't applicable.

 The PR is incorrect and based on a misunderstanding of C.  I gave my
 analysis in <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-05/msg00046.html>.

 --
 Joseph S. Myers
 jsm28@cam.ac.uk

* Re: c/6326: gcc compile illegal code
@ 2002-09-13  3:56 gdr
From: gdr @ 2002-09-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: act.kronoz, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, ptrebuc

Synopsis: gcc compile illegal code

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: gdr
State-Changed-When: Fri Sep 13 03:56:54 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    See the audi trail. Especially, the reference given by Joseph.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=6326

* Re: c/6326: gcc compile illegal code
@ 2002-09-13  3:56 Gabriel Dos Reis
From: Gabriel Dos Reis @ 2002-09-13  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6326; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gabriel Dos Reis <gdr@integrable-solutions.net>
To: "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk>
Cc: <act.kronoz@activenetwork.it>, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
   <ptrebuc@sophia.inria.fr>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: 13 Sep 2002 12:50:12 +0200

 "Joseph S. Myers" <jsm28@cam.ac.uk> writes:

 | The PR is incorrect and based on a misunderstanding of C.  I gave my
 | analysis in <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2002-05/msg00046.html>.

 Thanks.  I'll re-close the PR and add the reference you gave in the
 audit trail.

 -- Gaby

* Re: c/6326: gcc compile illegal code
@ 2002-09-10 16:34 gdr
From: gdr @ 2002-09-10 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: act.kronoz, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, ptrebuc

@ 2002-07-13  2:17 neil
From: neil @ 2002-07-13  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: act.kronoz, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: gcc compile illegal code

State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
State-Changed-By: neil
State-Changed-When: Sat Jul 13 02:17:57 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Not a bug.  An empty parameter list in a declaration indicates an unknown parameter list.

@ 2002-07-12 20:06 Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-07-12 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c/6326; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andrew Pinski <pinskia@physics.uc.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org, act.kronoz@activenetwork.it,
   gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 23:02:27 -0400

 Even reading the standard from your bug report:
 `The empty list in a function=A0 declarator that is not part of
 a definition=A0 of that function=A0 specifies that no information=A0=20
 about the
 number or types of the parameters is supplied.'
 It looks like:
 int foo() {
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 return 0;
 }

 should and is currently equal to, like K&R C,
 int foo(...) {
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 return 0;
 }

 Therefore this bug report should be closed.

 http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=3Dview%20audit-
 trail&database=3Dgcc&pr=3D6326