public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: optimization/9859: excessive memory consumption on GTK file
@ 2003-02-26 19:51 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2003-02-26 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody, suzhe

Old Synopsis: gcc 3.2.2 cannot compile gtk-gnutella 0.91.9 with -O2 option (was bug 9855)
New Synopsis: excessive memory consumption on GTK file

State-Changed-From-To: open->analyzed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Wed Feb 26 19:51:54 2003
State-Changed-Why:
    Confirmed. At one point, memory consumption blows up to
    beyond 300 MB, at which point my small machine gives up.
    Without optimization, memory use stays below 20 MB, so I'd
    say this is a bug.

    3.0, 3.2.x, 3.3 and 3.4 all show this behavior. I don't know
    whether 2.95 does this, too, since it doesn't grok the
    preprocessed sources.

    The code is really ugly, one would wish that the GTK people
    had chosen a decent programming language for their project... :-(

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=9859

* Re: optimization/9859: excessive memory consumption on GTK file
@ 2003-02-27 16:36 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-02-27 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/9859; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: Gareth Pearce <tilps@hotmail.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, <suzhe@turbolinux.com.cn>
Subject: Re: optimization/9859: excessive memory consumption on GTK file
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:28:11 -0600 (CST)

 > I'm wondering if 9805 and this both have a common cause.

 I don't think so. But the optimization guys will know this better.

 W.

 Wolfgang Bangerth             email:            bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: optimization/9859: excessive memory consumption on GTK file
@ 2003-02-26 21:36 Gareth Pearce
From: Gareth Pearce @ 2003-02-26 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR optimization/9859; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Gareth Pearce" <tilps@hotmail.com>
To: <bangerth@dealii.org>,
	<gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
	<suzhe@turbolinux.com.cn>,
	<gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:22:23 +1100

 I'm wondering if 9805 and this both have a common cause.

 Gareth