public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: web/10254: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
@ 2003-03-28 22:44 Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2003-03-28 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gerald; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR web/10254; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
To: schnetter@uni-tuebingen.de
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: web/10254: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:38:13 -0800

 Information about binary compatibility between GCC and other
 compilers would be useful, but a page keeping track of such
 information could get messy very quickly.  The information
 itself could become outdated when new versions of compilers
 are released, and links like this are difficult to keep up
 to date.

 There's another problem with providing links to information
 about other compilers.  I looked up a particular compiler to
 see if it had a statement about binary compatibility with
 GCC; it does, but it follows a claim about how easy it is to
 port code from using GCC to using that proprietary compiler.
 Links to that kind of information aren't appropriate for the
 GCC site.

 It would be appropriate, though, for us to describe known
 incompatibilities or ABI corner cases, along with examples
 that demonstrate how real code is affected.  I've been
 planning to add more of such examples as test cases in
 testsuite/g++.dg/compat/abi (feel free to nag me about
 that).  Those tests (once they exist!) could be mentioned
 in the Binary Compatibility section of the GCC Manual.

 Erik, does that sound reasonable?

 Janis Johnson
 janis187@us.ibm.com

* Re: web/10254: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
@ 2003-03-31 15:06 Erik Schnetter
From: Erik Schnetter @ 2003-03-31 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR web/10254; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Erik Schnetter <schnetter@uni-tuebingen.de>
To: Janis Johnson <janis187@us.ibm.com>
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:57:46 +0200

 On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:38:13PM -0800, Janis Johnson wrote:
 > Information about binary compatibility between GCC and other
 > compilers would be useful, but a page keeping track of such
 > information could get messy very quickly.  The information
 > itself could become outdated when new versions of compilers
 > are released, and links like this are difficult to keep up
 > to date.

 I see.

 > It would be appropriate, though, for us to describe known
 > incompatibilities or ABI corner cases, along with examples
 > that demonstrate how real code is affected.  I've been
 > planning to add more of such examples as test cases in
 > testsuite/g++.dg/compat/abi (feel free to nag me about
 > that).  Those tests (once they exist!) could be mentioned
 > in the Binary Compatibility section of the GCC Manual.

 Test cases are a good idea.

 > Erik, does that sound reasonable?

 Yes, of course.

 Thank you,
 -erik

 --
 Erik Schnetter <schnetter@uni-tuebingen.de>
 Web: http://www.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de/~schnette/

* Re: web/10254: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
@ 2003-03-29 13:36 gerald
From: gerald @ 2003-03-29 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, gerald, nobody, schnetter

Synopsis: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers

Responsible-Changed-From-To: gerald->unassigned
Responsible-Changed-By: gerald
Responsible-Changed-When: Sat Mar 29 11:50:27 2003
Responsible-Changed-Why:
    Undo automatic assignment of this bug to myself.

    Also, filing something like this as a doc-bug ("The
    documentation is incorrect") is certainly not correct,
    this merely being an enhancement request.

    Accordingly, also downgrade priority.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=10254

* web/10254: Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
@ 2003-03-28 11:56 schnetter
From: schnetter @ 2003-03-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-gnats

>Number:         10254
>Category:       web
>Synopsis:       Explain binary compatibility to other vendors' compilers
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Responsible:    gerald
>State:          open
>Class:          doc-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Fri Mar 28 11:56:01 UTC 2003
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     Erik Schnetter
>Release:        unknown-1.0
I have been searching the web pages to find out whether g++ 3.3 and Intel's icc 7.1 are binary compatible.  I found no such pages on the gcc web site, only a page on Intel's site at http://www.intel.com/support/performancetools/c/linux/iccgcclink.htm.

However, this page does not give any details of what might go wrong, what the symptoms are, what to avoid, or whether there are plans to become more compatible.

It would be nice if gcc had such a page itself, possibly extended to other languages and other vendors.  Possibly such a page already exists, and I just didn't find the link.  For the beginning, it would be enough to point to other vendors' pages that exist.