* Different outputs in Gimple pass dump generated by two different architectures
@ 2022-11-11  0:05 Kevin Lee
From: Kevin Lee @ 2022-11-11  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello GCC,

 While looking at the failure for gcc.dg/uninit-pred-9_b.c, I observed that
x86-64 and risc-v has a different output for the gimple pass since
r12-4790-g4b3a325f07acebf4
<https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=gcc.git;h=4b3a325f07acebf4>. What
would be causing the difference? Is this intended?
Link <https://godbolt.org/z/eWxnYsK1z> for details. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Kevin

* Re: Different outputs in Gimple pass dump generated by two different architectures
@ 2022-11-11  8:55 ` Marc Glisse
From: Marc Glisse @ 2022-11-11  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Lee; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022, Kevin Lee wrote:

> While looking at the failure for gcc.dg/uninit-pred-9_b.c, I observed that
> x86-64 and risc-v has a different output for the gimple pass since
> r12-4790-g4b3a325f07acebf4
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=gcc.git;h=4b3a325f07acebf4>.

Probably since earlier.

> What would be causing the difference? Is this intended? Link
> <https://godbolt.org/z/eWxnYsK1z> for details. Thank you!

See LOGICAL_OP_NON_SHORT_CIRCUIT in fold-const.cc (and various discussions
on the topic in mailing lists and bugzilla).

--
Marc Glisse

* Re: Different outputs in Gimple pass dump generated by two different architectures
@ 2022-11-11 16:38   ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2022-11-11 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Kevin Lee, Marc Glisse

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 12:57 AM Marc Glisse via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022, Kevin Lee wrote:
>
> > While looking at the failure for gcc.dg/uninit-pred-9_b.c, I observed that
> > x86-64 and risc-v has a different output for the gimple pass since
> > r12-4790-g4b3a325f07acebf4
> > <https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=gcc.git;h=4b3a325f07acebf4>.
>
> Probably since earlier.
>
> > What would be causing the difference? Is this intended? Link
> > <https://godbolt.org/z/eWxnYsK1z> for details. Thank you!
>
> See LOGICAL_OP_NON_SHORT_CIRCUIT in fold-const.cc (and various discussions
> on the topic in mailing lists and bugzilla).

I filed https://gcc.gnu.org/PR107642 to cover the issues around
LOGICAL_OP_NON_SHORT_CIRCUIT and BRANCH_COST.
I hope to get some time in the GCC 14 timeframe to flush out some of
these target macro/hooks issue where the
definitions are not so clear.

Thanks,
Andrew

@ 2022-11-11 18:51     ` Kevin Lee
From: Kevin Lee @ 2022-11-11 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pinski; +Cc: gcc, Marc Glisse

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 8:39 AM Andrew Pinski <pinskia@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 12:57 AM Marc Glisse via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 10 Nov 2022, Kevin Lee wrote:

> > > What would be causing the difference? Is this intended? Link
> > > <https://godbolt.org/z/eWxnYsK1z> for details. Thank you!
> >
> > See LOGICAL_OP_NON_SHORT_CIRCUIT in fold-const.cc (and various discussions
> > on the topic in mailing lists and bugzilla).

Thank you for the pointer Marc!

> I filed https://gcc.gnu.org/PR107642 to cover the issues around
> LOGICAL_OP_NON_SHORT_CIRCUIT and BRANCH_COST.
> I hope to get some time in the GCC 14 timeframe to flush out some of
> these target macro/hooks issue where the
> definitions are not so clear.

This PR was a great explanation for the macro. Thanks!