* GSOC 2023 Contribution Request
@ 2023-02-22 11:48 Kritika Rag
From: Kritika Rag @ 2023-02-22 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello Everyone!

I’m Kritika Rag, a Computer Science pre-final year undergraduate
student from India. I’m quite passionate about web development and
competitive programming and now I’m looking forward to contributing to
open-source projects. I believe that GSOC 2023 would provide me with
the best way to start my open-source contribution journey. Since I’m a
competitive programmer, I have excellent command over Data Structures
& Algorithms and my primary language is C++, so C++ and GCC are
something that I use daily, therefore I would love to make my
contributions to GCC projects. I sincerely hope that this community
will provide me with the opportunity to do so and to work alongside
them.

I’m proficient in various coding languages like C/C++, HTML, CSS,
JavaScript, React, and Python, and have experimented with Git, Linux,
APIs, etc. I have also been fortunate enough to secure 3 internships,
2 as a DSA problem setter and 1 as a research intern. I have also
participated in a few open-source programs like Hack October Fest 2022
and GWoC 2022 and contributed to web development and data science
projects.

I had been checking up on recent project proposals listed in GCC wiki
for the past 3 weeks and was interested in working either on the
project which aims to improve the utility routine library used by GCC
or related to Bug Patrol especially analyzing failing test cases (this
was present over the site a while ago but now I can't see it anywhere)
so I just wanted to ask can I choose it as my GSoC 2023 project? If
yes can anyone guide me to whom to connect to discuss it?

And if I can't work on the above ideas then I have also gone through
the selected project ideas and want to work on the project "Implement
comp built-in traits for the standard library traits" so would be
grateful if anyone could guide me here also.

Thank you so much and I hope to hear from you soon.

* Re: GSOC 2023 Contribution Request
@ 2023-02-28 20:12 ` Patrick Palka
From: Patrick Palka @ 2023-02-28 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kritika Rag; +Cc: gcc

Hi Kritika,

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 6:49 AM Kritika Rag via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello Everyone!
>
> I’m Kritika Rag, a Computer Science pre-final year undergraduate
> student from India. I’m quite passionate about web development and
> competitive programming and now I’m looking forward to contributing to
> open-source projects. I believe that GSOC 2023 would provide me with
> the best way to start my open-source contribution journey. Since I’m a
> competitive programmer, I have excellent command over Data Structures
> & Algorithms and my primary language is C++, so C++ and GCC are
> something that I use daily, therefore I would love to make my
> contributions to GCC projects. I sincerely hope that this community
> will provide me with the opportunity to do so and to work alongside
> them.

Great, thanks for your interest in contributing to GCC, and welcome!

> I’m proficient in various coding languages like C/C++, HTML, CSS,
> JavaScript, React, and Python, and have experimented with Git, Linux,
> APIs, etc. I have also been fortunate enough to secure 3 internships,
> 2 as a DSA problem setter and 1 as a research intern. I have also
> participated in a few open-source programs like Hack October Fest 2022
> and GWoC 2022 and contributed to web development and data science
> projects.
>
> I had been checking up on recent project proposals listed in GCC wiki
> for the past 3 weeks and was interested in working either on the
> project which aims to improve the utility routine library used by GCC
> or related to Bug Patrol especially analyzing failing test cases (this
> was present over the site a while ago but now I can't see it anywhere)
> so I just wanted to ask can I choose it as my GSoC 2023 project? If
> yes can anyone guide me to whom to connect to discuss it?
>
> And if I can't work on the above ideas then I have also gone through
> the selected project ideas and want to work on the project "Implement
> comp built-in traits for the standard library traits" so would be
> grateful if anyone could guide me here also.

I can't speak about the other projects, but I'm listed as the mentor
for the built-in C++ trait project idea.

On the frontend side most of the existing built-in traits are tabulated in
gcc/cp/cp-trait.def, and their logic is defined in finish_trait_type
or finish_trait_expr in gcc/cp/semantics.cc[2], and on library side the traits
are conditionally used in the standard type trait definitions in
libstdc++, e.g. std::remove_cv[3].

Take a look at the following commits that define (and add tests for)
the built-in traits __remove_cv, __remove_reference and __remove_cvref
and subsequently use them in libstdc++. Note that this first commit
predates the new gcc/cp/cp-trait.def file which streamlined much of
the boilerplate of adding a new built-in trait.  In the new approach
(that you would be using), only the semantics.cc change (which defines
their logic) would be needed, alongside additions to cp-trait.def to
declare each trait.
https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ca147154074a0de548138b4e73477e94903a855
https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=6ddbbbffbb5759a6c1d56c191364a6bd021f733e

If you haven't already I'd recommend going through the GCC for new
contributors guide
https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html which
goes through checking out, building and debugging GCC.
Let me know if you have any questions :)

[1]: https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=gcc/cp/cp-trait.def
[2]: https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=gcc/cp/semantics.cc;h=79b7cc72f212cef780a3eea65af2b883bb4ec3c8;hb=HEAD#l12102
[3]: https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=libstdc%2B%2B-v3/include/std/type_traits;h=2bd607a8b8ff52aba6fd205ab1af2bc4b92f78d0;hb=HEAD#l1539

@ 2023-02-22 16:34   ` Kritika Rag
From: Kritika Rag @ 2023-02-22 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you for your response Martin. Actually I sent this mail a week ago
and yeah now the wiki page of gcc has been updated (although I'm very much
sure these topics were listed over there but that's totally fine) and so
today itself I sent another mail with expressing an interest in working on
"C++ : Implement compiler built-in traits for the standard library traits"
project.

And I've been following Anshul's advice and have been exploring the gcc
codebase.
Further, I hope to get guidance on my newly selected project interest.

Thank you so much again.

@ 2023-02-22 16:16 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-02-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2023-02-19  8:43 ` Ankur Saini
From: Ankur Saini @ 2023-02-19  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kritika Rag; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

I am neither the org-admin for GSoC, nor a mentor for any of the
proposed projects. Just a community member like you.

Here are a few things you can do till the time you get a response from
either of those:

- Try building gcc from source if you haven't till now, refer the docs
  https://gcc.gnu.org/install/ for detailed information and try
  building with bootstrap disabled if you want to save some time. Also
  it is recommended to build a debuggable version ( see next point for
  details ) so that you can efficiently use a debugger to step through
  the source code.

- Once you have a proper version built from source, you can now use a
  debugger ( preferably gdb ) on it to get better understanding of the
  control flow. You can read the official docs (
  https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebuggingGCC#gccbuilddebug ) or the
  gcc-newbies-guide by David Malcolm (
  https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/debugging.html )
  for more information and instructions about debugging gcc.

- Speaking of gcc-newbies-guide by David Malcolm, it is actually an
  amazing source to get started for new-comers (
  https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html )

Although Google is yet to announce list of selected
organizations. Most of the stuff I mentioned is already present in the
"Before you apply" (
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply ) section of
gcc's summer of code page.

- Ankur

@ 2023-02-19  5:48 ` Kritika Rag
From: Kritika Rag @ 2023-02-19  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello Team,

Just want to know is there any update on my application?

On Mon, 13 Feb, 2023, 19:04 Kritika Rag, <kritikarag.kr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sir/Mam,
>

> I’m Kritika Rag, a Computer Science pre-final year undergraduate student
> from India. I’m quite passionate about web development and competitive
> programming and now I’m looking forward to contributing to open-source
> projects. I believe that GSOC 2023 would provide me with the best way to
> start my open-source contribution journey.
>

> Since I’m a competitive programmer, I have excellent command over Data
> Structures & Algorithms and my primary language is C++, so C++ and GCC are
> something that I use daily, therefore I would love to make my contributions
> to GCC projects. After going through all the projects listed on GCC Wiki
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Other_Project_Ideas>, these are
> the projects(any one of them) to which I would like to contribute:
>
>    1. Bug Patrol and primarily Analyze Failing Test Cases – Whether I'm
>    practicing algorithms on Leetcode, GFG, etc., or giving CP contests on
>    CodeChef, Codeforces, etc., Test case failures are something I encounter
>    daily. Working on the project would be an interesting dig for me to learn
>    about the inner workings of something that I see daily and make
>    improvements to it.
>    2.  Library Infrastructure - As quoted *"These tasks are about
>    improving the utility routine library used by GCC. If you like data
>    structures, these may be for you", *and being a data structures
>    enthusiast I do believe that I'll be able to put my best knowledge to use
>    in this project.
>
> Lastly, thank you so much for providing these opportunities, I would be
> grateful if you would provide me the opportunity to work with your
> organization. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
>
> Thanks and Regards,
> Kritika Rag

> Windows

* GSOC 2023 Contribution Request