* gcc
@ 2022-05-23 11:28 Sarah Burgener
From: Sarah Burgener @ 2022-05-23 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gcc

Hi Gcc,

Would you like to communicate with all participants enrolled in the Glee - Garden Industry Exhibition 2022?

If so, please let me know so that I can assist you in obtaining a list of participants.

Best,

Sarah Burgener

Event Analyst

* Gcc
@ 2024-05-02 21:15 Sophia Taylor
From: Sophia Taylor @ 2024-05-02 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi Gcc,
I'm checking in to see whether you're interested in getting the list of Distribution/Members List.
*    Harlan County Chamber of Commerce 2024 (Kentucky, USA)
*    1000+  Contacts
I'm waiting for your response so I can let you know the Price and additional information.
Warm regards,
Sophia - Business Executive

* Gcc
@ 2023-11-22 12:02 Suma Luther
From: Suma Luther @ 2023-11-22 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi Gcc,

I'm following up to confirm if you are interested in acquiring the Registrants/Attendees/Members list.

         *           CMAA Annual Conference (Washington, USA, Oct 29-31, 2023)
         *           1,000+ Contacts

Let me know your thoughts so that I can share the price & more information.

Regards,
Suma - Business Executive

* Gcc
@ 2023-10-20  7:09 Suma Luther
From: Suma Luther @ 2023-10-20  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2022-11-11 12:36 Michael Davide
From: Michael Davide @ 2022-11-11 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gcc

Hi Gcc,

Would you like to communicate with all participants enrolled in the "American Vacuum Society - AVS 2022"?

If so, please let me know so that I can assist you in obtaining a list of participants.

Best,
Michael Davide
Event Analyst

* Re: Gcc
@ 2021-12-21 20:13   ` Navidullah Mehrtash
From: Navidullah Mehrtash @ 2021-12-21 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc

Thank you!

On Sat, Dec 18, 2021, 17:29 Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 at 08:10, Navidullah Mehrtash wrote:
> >
> > I nedd gcc downloads link, may I have please!
>
> Look where it says "Download" at https://gcc.gnu.org/
>
> We only provide the sources, which you have to build yourself, see
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC for help with that.
>
> There are some unofficial binary downloads linked to from
> https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

* Re: Gcc
@ 2021-12-18 12:59 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-12-18 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Navidullah Mehrtash; +Cc: gcc

@ 2021-12-18  8:09 Navidullah Mehrtash
From: Navidullah Mehrtash @ 2021-12-18  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2021-06-21  9:47 Doris Amor
From: Doris Amor @ 2021-06-21  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am following up to confirm if you are interested in acquiring the Visitors/Registrants List.

IE expo Guangzhou
Guangzhou , China
Registrants Counts: 20,350

Each record of the list contains: Contact Name, Email Address, Company Name, URL/Website, Phone No, Title/Designation.

If you are interested in acquiring the list, we can provide you the cost and additional details.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks & Regards,
Doris Amor
Business Analyst
If you don't want to hear from me again Please unsub

* gcc
@ 2021-01-11  2:22 Peter Liu
From: Peter Liu @ 2021-01-11  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

(Please kindly forward this to your CEO, because this is urgent. If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please ignore it. Thanks)Dear CEO,We are the domain name registration service company in China. On January 11, 2021, we received an application from Hongsheng Ltd requested "gcc" as their internet keyword and China (CN) domain names (gcc.cn, gcc.com.cn, gcc.net.cn, gcc.org.cn). But after checking it, we find this name conflict with your company name or trademark. In order to deal with this matter better, it's necessary to send email to you and confirm whether this company is your distributor in China?  Best Regards
Peter Liu   Service & Operations Manager

China Registry (Head Office)

Tel: +86-02161918696

Fax: +86-02161918697

Mob: +86-13816428671

6012, Xingdi Building, No. 1698 Yishan Road, Shanghai 201103, China

This email contains privileged and confidential information intended for the addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this email and inform the sender immediately. We appreciate you respecting the confidentiality of this information by not disclosing or using the information in this email.

* Gcc
@ 2020-09-16  6:15 Sarah Cokins
From: Sarah Cokins @ 2020-09-16  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

Good Day,

If you are interested in acquiring the Registrants list. I can provide you the cost and additional details.

Autotechnica 2020

04 - 07 Oct 2020

Brussels, Belgium

Registrants list of Counts: 4,000+

Currently the best way to grow your business is through digital. This list will help you pass information about your organization and products directly and digitally to the buyer. This list will help you to acquire many potential clients / leads.

Each record of the list contains: Contact Name, Email Address, Company Name, URL/Website, Phone No, Title/Designation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & Regards,

Sarah - Marketing Analyst

* Gcc
@ 2020-09-11 14:25 Helen Ames
From: Helen Ames @ 2020-09-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am following up to confirm if you are interested in acquiring the Visitors/Registrants List.
Autotechnica 2020
04 - 07 Oct 2020
Brussels, Belgium
Counts: 8,500

Each record of the list contains: Contact Name, Email Address, Company Name, URL/Website, Phone No, Title/Designation.

Currently the best way to grow your business is through digital. This list will help you pass information about your organization and products directly and digitally to the buyer. This list will help you to acquire many potential clients/leads.
If you are interested in acquiring the list, we can provide you the cost and additional details.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & Regards,
Helen  – Business Analyst

* Gcc
@ 2019-12-16  8:48 Isabella Kathryn
From: Isabella Kathryn @ 2019-12-16  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

I am following up to confirm if you are interested in acquiring the Visitors List.
The Trophex Show 2020
Birmingham, UK
12 - 13 Jan 2020
Counts: 2,183

Let me know if you are interested so that I can provide you the cost and additional details.

Awaiting for your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Isabella Kathryn- Business Analyst

* Re: GCC
@ 2012-09-24 12:33 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2012-09-24 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jerome Huck; +Cc: gcc

On 9/24/2012 6:53 AM, Jerome Huck wrote:
> from Mr Jerome Huck
>
> Good morning.
>
> I have been using the GCC suite on Windows, mainly in the various
> Fortran. 77, 2003,... Thanks for those tools ! The Little Google Nexus 7
> seems a wonderfull tool. I would like to know if we can expect a version
> of GCC to run on Android for such the Nexus 7 ?

Sooner if you get to work on creating the port!

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards.

* GCC
@ 2012-09-24 10:54 Jerome Huck
From: Jerome Huck @ 2012-09-24 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2011-06-30 20:21 chandanchaudhary26
From: chandanchaudhary26 @ 2011-06-30 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hey gcc are you doing good? I want you to join me , I am going to make $200,000 this year with this!! Check out this news article and it will show you how to get started, it's definitely easy enough for you! :) http://bit.ly/iIiz4P

* RE: gcc
@ 2011-06-19 10:19 chandanchaudhary26
From: chandanchaudhary26 @ 2011-06-19 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

What's up gcc how have you been doing? I wanted to let you in on my success , I have made around $2500 since I started a week ago! Check out this news article and it will show you how to get started, it's definitely easy enough for you! :) http://bit.ly/l5S5JL

* gcc
@ 2011-04-07 16:05 ymousnw2
From: ymousnw2 @ 2011-04-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

gcc Don't limit yourself http://bit.ly/gaOqFM i was able to take my
family on the vacation of our dreams can you even believe you've been
missing out on this please don't think you can't do this because anyone
can if i can if i were you i would be jumping at this opportunity

* gcc
@ 2011-03-28  7:26 vleihulu
From: vleihulu @ 2011-03-28  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

gcc This is the key to my financial security http://j.mp/hFC51z i was surprised at what i was able to accomplish with this you will always be achieving your goals and dreams all of my financial burdens are a thing of the passed please by all means don't be afraid to make some extra money

* Re: gcc
@ 2010-09-09  2:26 ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2010-09-09  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xie pan; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 09:13, xie pan <jpandxplovebaby@gmail.com> wrote:
> i want a a gcc

Can you be more specific?

* gcc
@ 2010-09-06 14:13 xie pan
From: xie pan @ 2010-09-06 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

i want a a gcc

* Re: gcc
@ 2006-02-10 20:10 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2006-02-10 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sapojnikova T.F.; +Cc: gcc

On Feb 10, 2006, at 5:22 AM, Sapojnikova T.F. wrote:
> Can I use c++ (g++) and fortran (g77) together   in one
> multilanguage application?

Wrong list, gcc-help is more appropriate, thanks.

* gcc
@ 2006-02-10 13:22 Sapojnikova T.F.
From: Sapojnikova T.F. @ 2006-02-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear developers!

 Can I use c++ (g++) and fortran (g77) together
   in one multilanguage application?

 Main program is written on c++,
 subroutine or function are written on fortran.

  And how can I do it?
  Where can I read about this?

  gcc, g77,g++   version 3.2.3 (Linux)

Best regards,
   Sapozhnikova T.F.

From: Sapojnikova T.F. @ 2006-02-10 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear developers!

@ 2005-10-02 15:55 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2005-10-02 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Oct 02, 2005 at 08:28:03AM -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     Hi I'm new to the list. Wow it's great. Why isn't Richard Stallman
> working on gcc?

He was promoted to management. :-)

* gcc
@ 2005-10-02 13:00 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2005-10-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    Hi I'm new to the list. Wow it's great. Why isn't Richard Stallman
working on gcc?

    I'm new to compiler design and I'm looking to learn all I can. I guess
I'll have to catch on on the fly.

Bill

* Re: gcc
@ 2004-01-21  0:32 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2004-01-21  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc

Bill Cunningham wrote:
> Hi. I've just been listening to the tech details of gcc internals. I wonder?
> Can you create MS compatible dlls with the 3 branch?

See the info at
	http://www.cygwin.com
and
	http://www.mingw.org

* Re: gcc
@ 2004-01-21  0:09 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2004-01-21  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Cunningham; +Cc: gcc

On Jan 20, 2004, "Bill Cunningham" <billc1@citynet.net> wrote:

> Hi. I've just been listening to the tech details of gcc internals. I wonder?
> Can you create MS compatible dlls with the 3 branch?

Not with GCC, no.  It takes a linker to create DLLs.  GCC just turns
source files into assembly.  The good news is that GNU ld can create
DLLs these days.  I suggest trying some recent release of libtool to
figure out how to do it.

Happy GNU Year!                     oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}

* gcc
@ 2004-01-20  3:23 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2004-01-20  3:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2003-10-13 12:19 ` SRUTHY C.N.
From: SRUTHY C.N. @ 2003-10-13 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc

Sir,
     Is there any symbol table representation in gcc like RTL file? If
there is , then how to get it?
     please reply me..
                                                       Thanking you,
                                                           SRUTHY C.N.

* gcc
@ 2003-10-13  9:41 SRUTHY C.N.
From: SRUTHY C.N. @ 2003-10-13  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc

@ 2003-10-09  7:53 ` SRUTHY C.N.
From: SRUTHY C.N. @ 2003-10-09  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc

@ 2003-10-09  7:44 SRUTHY C.N.
From: SRUTHY C.N. @ 2003-10-09  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gcc

@ 2003-08-08 19:05     ` Bernardo Innocenti
From: Bernardo Innocenti @ 2003-08-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: obrien; +Cc: Aaron Lehmann, Steven Bosscher, gcc

David O'Brien wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:47:07PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>>Copyright assignments.
>
> I agree with Robert Dewar about showing evidence that this is the main
> problem. [...]

I hereby offer myself as a living evidence against those
copyright assignments <grin>.

Being a fresh new GCC contributor, I can tell you that I have
barely survived the burden of interacting with the FSF to get
the paperwork done.

The original topic was about getting big companies to
contribute, but I'd like to stress that, in many
community-driven projects, most of the development work
comes from thousands occasional contributors.

Most programmers just want to contribute their changes
and don't care anything about legal stuff.
It's very easy to prove: just ask your co-workers and
friends whether they would be willing to go through the
copyright assignment procedure just to see their patch
applied.

I have have finally been able to get the first small
patch in after waiting for over one month. This could
have been barely acceptable some years ago. Today
there are too many projects that make it much easier
to get involved.

In my experience, contributing to the Linux kernel
has been immediately rewarded with the satisfaction of
seeing my patches applied in a matter of hours or, in
the worst case, in a few days.

I guess the problem is just to get started. When you've
finally got the assignment on file, working on GCC and
the kernel can be equally interesting. People are
generally helpful on both mailing lists and the project
infrastructure is easy to work with.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-08-04 17:19 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-08-04 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: aaronl, s.bosscher, gcc

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 06:08:19AM -0400, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Please give some evidence. I think this is just a guess. In my experience,
> the copyright assignment is not the issue at all. The issue is precisely
> getting the patches to be well-formed, which requires quite a bit of work
> and quite a bit of knowledge about the way gcc maintenance is organized.

In my experience, many companies balk not at the concept of copyright
assignment but rather at the patent waiver.  However, the FSF successfully
negotiated acceptable language with IBM, so clearly such problems can be
conquered.

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-08-04  7:42     ` Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2003-08-04  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: obrien; +Cc: Aaron Lehmann, Steven Bosscher, gcc

"David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> I think a much more accurate description would be Zack's "A Maintenance
> Programmer's View of GCC" from the Ottawa GCC Summit.  My last patch
> trying to add a "GCC_OPTIONS" environmental variable was for AMD and some
> very large ISV's benefit.  Didn't go in, and not for copyright assignment
> issues.

That's not a great example.  There was nothing technically wrong with
your patch; rather, people have convincing arguments that we don't
want that feature.  This is not normally going to happen to
target-specific optimization patches.

I would suggest the SPE and Altivec patchsets as better examples of
the problems in this area.  Those are features that no one objects to
in the abstract -- support for two different sets of vector
instructions, and the related intrinsics -- but Aldy had to do
tremendous amounts of work to get them to the point where they were
acceptable.  Part of the problem is that the backend API is a mess;
that's the stuff I talked about in my paper.  Work is ongoing to clean
that up.  I think we'll be in much better shape in a few years.

But the other part of the problem is that the features were designed
without consulting with people who knew what the C and C++ standards
have to say in this area, and so (for example) the original Altivec
patches had vector-initializer syntax that was considered
unacceptable, which makes GCC 3.x's Altivec incompatible with the
original Motorola compilers.  The only way that situation can improve
is if GCC maintainers are brought on board in the design stages of
such projects, and can point out the problems before they become
entrenched.

zw

p.s. I wonder if the GCC_OPTIONS patch would be more acceptable if it
were processed by the driver, so that the additional options showed up
in -v output.

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-08-04  5:46   ` David O'Brien
From: David O'Brien @ 2003-08-04  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Lehmann; +Cc: Steven Bosscher, gcc

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 11:47:07PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:44:19AM +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> > I'm not sure why they think it is so difficult.  It would seem that if
> > the patch is architecture-specific and well-formed (ie. conforming to
> > the coding style, etc), it typically just goes in, period.  And patches
> > to target-independent code may go through one or two review cycles, but
> > again, if the patch looks good, it goes in.  At least, I got the
> > impression that patches are seldomly rejected.
>
> Copyright assignments.

I agree with Robert Dewar about showing evidence that this is the main
problem.  AMD hired SuSE to do the GCC work for Opteron, so copyright
assignments certainly weren't a problem for AMD.  I know there are some
SuSE amd64(x86-64) patches that never got accepted -- FreeBSD hit the
same bugs which the patches would have fixed.

       [not found]       ` <mailpost.1059737856.958@news-sj1-1>
@ 2003-08-01 15:39         ` cgd
From: cgd @ 2003-08-01 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mjb; +Cc: gcc

At Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:37:36 +0000 (UTC), Martin wrote:
> I was just pondering why [processor and compiler co-design]
> doesn't happen more often.

A lot of architectures these days are fairly well standardized.

If you're implementing one of them, often you already *have* compilers
and assemblers that generate functional if not optimized code.
(Likewise with operating systems: "it already runs on this other part
that uses this architecture, how hard could it be...")

Once you're there, you're no longer *forced* to get tools (and OS)
people involved up front.

If you're not *forced* to do so, then...  8-)

I don't think there's as much understanding as there should be in the
processor-design community of the value of having tools & OS people
involved up front.

(To my mind, that explains the issue satisfactorily, for
standard-architecture implementations.  For custom ones, well, i don't
really have a clue.)

cgd
--
Chris Demetriou                                            Broadcom Corporation
                Principal Design Engineer, Broadband Processors

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-08-01 14:07     ` Martin
       [not found]       ` <mailpost.1059737856.958@news-sj1-1>
From: Martin @ 2003-08-01 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> > It strikes me this is part of a larger problem.  It seems there is (in
> > many companies / institutions there is a large divide between the people
> > who design processors and the people who write compilers.
> Well it's going a little off-topic,
[apologies to list (admins) if this thread is considered OT]

> but this doesn't always happen.
Oh no.  I was just saying that it seems to me that it happens too often
- there are many noteable examples where it hasn't and they've all been
technically very strong architectures (and easy ones to write compilers
for).  It seems there is a real advantage to doing things like this - I
was just pondering why it doesn't happen more often.

> There will always be situations where for very good reasons specific
> instructions will be added to an ISA but that may be hard to utilize
> well within gcc.  There may well be very good reasons why these
> instructions make sense though and arguing that a more pure-RISC
> strategy (one that makes it easy to target with compilers) will solve
> all of the world's problems isn't the right answer either ;-)
Far from it - I'm not saying that people should only design processors
to make compiling for them as simple as possible.  It just strikes me
that with a little more communication between the developer communities
better results could be achieved.  Just my opinion and perhaps this kind
of thing happens a lot more than I though and I am horribly mistaken,

> FWIW though I'd note that I've generally found that the most bizarre
> instructions do not originate with the processor designers but from
> operating system and application developers who demand magic
> instructions to save cycles in critical places.  These are usually also
> the same people who complain  when the compiler can't use their magic
> instructions very well :-)
:-D  I can't say I'm surprised by this - another developer community who
should probabily work more with compiler and processor design teams.

Cheers,
 - Martin

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-08-01 13:55   ` Dave Hudson
From: Dave Hudson @ 2003-08-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

Martin wrote:

> It strikes me this is part of a larger problem.  It seems there is (in
> many companies / institutions there is a large divide between the people
> who design processors and the people who write compilers.

Well it's going a little off-topic, but this doesn't always happen.  The
gcc port I've been optimizing for the Ubicom IP3000 series has been part
of a joint development effort that has been optimizing the instruction
set, the compiler and the operating system and protocol stacks that will
be its primary function.  It's not perfect but we've learned from a few
mistakes in the first ISA definition and the before we finish the second
version we'll make sure we have a working compiler and simulator first :-)

I would note though that good as our gcc port is we have still ended up
adopting several machine-specific optimizations where we can make
opportunistic gains within the machine-dependent reorg pass.  Attempting
to target these earlier pessimizes the code quite badly, but we have to
use customized RTL-level optimizations because we may be replacing say 2
or 3 instructions spread over perhaps 4 or 5 instructions in total.
While this is at the more acceptable end of processor-specific
optimization I do have some sympathy with folks who find that gcc can't
quite do what they want at times.

There will always be situations where for very good reasons specific
instructions will be added to an ISA but that may be hard to utilize
well within gcc.  There may well be very good reasons why these
instructions make sense though and arguing that a more pure-RISC
strategy (one that makes it easy to target with compilers) will solve
all of the world's problems isn't the right answer either ;-)

FWIW though I'd note that I've generally found that the most bizarre
instructions do not originate with the processor designers but from
operating system and application developers who demand magic
instructions to save cycles in critical places.  These are usually also
the same people who complain  when the compiler can't use their magic
instructions very well :-)

Regards,
Dave

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-08-01 11:13 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-08-01 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, mjb

> I've heard of
> a couple of projects where there was essentially one team that did both
> MIPS and Bulldog/VLIW come to mind.

The INMOS transputer is of course another example, as is, from the old
days, the Burroughs 5000 series.

* Re: GCC
       [not found] <Pine.LNX.4.21.0307311224210.23423-100000@mail.kloo.net>
@ 2003-08-01  9:56 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2003-08-01  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

<snip>
> > So why would these people think it's difficult to work with the people
> > on this list, and to contribute code (and what can be done about it)?
<snip>
> It's possible to look at it from the other viewpoint, e.g. educate
> processor designers to not design bad instruction sets. I'd be willing
> to write a document describing "Things not to do when designing a
> processor for GCC" since it feels like I've dealt with every single bad
> idea ever conceived for a processor...
It strikes me this is part of a larger problem.  It seems there is (in
many companies / institutions there is a large divide between the people
who design processors and the people who write compilers.  I've heard of
a couple of projects where there was essentially one team that did both
MIPS and Bulldog/VLIW come to mind.  Hennessy & Patterson suggest
looking at usage profiles of instructions in their book on computer
architecture but don't go so far as to suggest developing the compiler
and the processor together.  It seems that some of the early RISC work
brought the two camps closer together but ATM there is nowhere near
enough dialog and co-operation on most projects.  Well - that's my
impression of the situation.  Perhaps it might be an idea to try and set
up some sort of collaboration with the Open Cores project (
http://www.opencores.net ).

Cheers,
 - Martin

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-07-31 19:45     ` cgd
From: cgd @ 2003-07-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

this discussion isn't really specific to gcc, it applies to, say,
binutils too.  but since gcc is where it started that's where i'm
going to leave it.  8-)

At Thu, 31 Jul 2003 06:42:29 +0000 (UTC), "Steven Bosscher" wrote:
> I'm not sure why they think it is so difficult.

I'm not a "processor architect," but I interact with some of them, and
i've tried to get some of them to be more GCC cognizant.  I am,
however, somebody who works on low-level "processor stuff," and these
are factors in my experience:

(1) the assignments *are* a pain in the butt, but the amount of pain
    can be highly variable.  Originallly, no problem to get them
    signed (though the processing lag was annoying).  Later, new
    lawyers, much wrangling to get something OK to all sides,
    ultimately consumed about 5 months...  "ugh."

(2) slow patch approval times can be a problem, especially for people
    who are new.

    Looking back at my old patch list back to when I started
    submitting stuff (mid-2000), wait-for-approval time of > a month
    wasn't uncommon.

    These days, for me at least, the time is shorter.  I don't know if
    that's the experience of new developers, though.

(3) at least when i started doing this, there wasn't that much working
    documentation about how stuff could/should be tested (i.e., run
    with this sim, which is actually likely to work, by doing these
    steps...)  That made me uncertain of what I was doing, at least a
    bit.  I think this is getting better.

So, that's for me, a low-level OS hacker who thinks himself fairly
adaptable.  8-)

Note that these are all things that people care about only if doing
the GCC work themselves.  They can be addressed easily by hiring
somebody to do a port and submit it back.  Costs some money, but then,
so does processor design.

Sounds like the panel included processor architects who had been
"reached."  I think if you actually want to reach "processor
architects" generally, there are more problems IMO:

Processor architects do processor architecture.  Typically, they don't
know GCC internals.  (Often some will have *some* compiler exposure,
but the amount varies.)  If they're making a new processor, they
probably don't have time to learn GCC internals, or even to become
involved in the GCC community.

The result of that is that they might not be cognizant of things that
they should try to avoid if they want a good GCC back-end (if they're
designing with a new architecture) or a good scheduler description (if
they're doing a new implementation of an existing architecture).

Some seem obvious, e.g., if you make your scheduling rules bizarre and
with many exceptions, it'll be difficult to create an "optimal" (or
close to) code schduler for them.  Seems obvious enough to someone who
touches GCC a lot, but

        (1) it might not be to someone who doesn't, and

        (2) at some point, you hit a wall where "difficult" is "really
            really difficult," i.e., 2 pages of instruction issue rule
            special cases can translate into much more if you want to
            model them well.  8-)

Other stuff pops into mind: e.g. if you're designing a new
architecture, and want a good GCC port, and are on the fence about
branch delay slots (or whatever): obviously GCC supports them on
multiple architectures...  Does that mean they're *easy* to cope with
in GCC (or the other tools)?  etc.

I think these are questions that you don't know about GCC unless
you've been in it for some amount of time -- which architects aren't
likely to have put in.

A collection of wisdom related to "designing architecture to make GCC
happy" would probably help.

These types of issues are ones where, unless you get it right early on
during the architecture of your part, it may be very very difficult to
get a good GCC port years later.  I don't know that they can be
addressed well by throwing money at some GCC developers, either.  (I
mean, they probably can be addressed, but it IMO it doesn't appear to
be a good way to spend money, up front.)

cgd

* Re: GCC
       [not found] ` <mailpost.1059633748.1819@news-sj1-1>
@ 2003-07-31 19:38   ` cgd
From: cgd @ 2003-07-31 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: s.bosscher; +Cc: gcc

@ 2003-07-31 18:15     ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2003-07-31 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: Aaron Lehmann, gcc

Op do 31-07-2003, om 14:41 schreef Gerald Pfeifer:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > Copyright assignments.
>
> Please note that (especially) for changes like those you mentioned also
> copyright disclaimers are sufficient.

Where and how is this documented?  Maybe it's not clear to some people.

Gr.
Steven

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-07-31 14:07   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-07-31 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Lehmann; +Cc: Steven Bosscher, gcc

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> Copyright assignments.

Please note that (especially) for changes like those you mentioned also
copyright disclaimers are sufficient.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)   gerald@pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-07-31 10:57 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-07-31 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaronl, s.bosscher; +Cc: gcc

> > I'm not sure why they think it is so difficult.  It would seem that if
> > the patch is architecture-specific and well-formed (ie. conforming to
> > the coding style, etc), it typically just goes in, period.  And patches
> > to target-independent code may go through one or two review cycles, but
> > again, if the patch looks good, it goes in.  At least, I got the
> > impression that patches are seldomly rejected.
>
> Copyright assignments.

Please give some evidence. I think this is just a guess. In my experience,
the copyright assignment is not the issue at all. The issue is precisely
getting the patches to be well-formed, which requires quite a bit of work
and quite a bit of knowledge about the way gcc maintenance is organized.

So what often happens is that vendors prepare local patches that work fine,
but definitely do not conform (for instance they have unacceptable target
dependent patches).

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-07-31 10:49 ` Lars Segerlund
       [not found] ` <mailpost.1059633748.1819@news-sj1-1>
From: Lars Segerlund @ 2003-07-31 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: gcc

  There is poor documentation, ( in the sence that it is not easily
digested if you haven't done a couple of runs of the code ), and also
not much in the howto getting started.

  Also the overall workings of the frontends/gcc and some major parts of
it is not that well documented.

  Take the tree's, GENERIC and GIMPLE have just started to have decent
documentation, which have probably excluded a lot of people from doing
work related to that.

  It's quite a bit of an undertaking getting started in writing code for
gcc before you get going.

  I think it is this kind of problems that people refer to as hard to
work with, also breakage in other ports by their patches.

  / regards, Lars Segerlund.

Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the "Processor Architect's Panel" at the kernel summit, GCC was
> apparently discussed shortly:
>
> "Jon 'maddog' Hall said that the various processor architectures wild
> also benefit from paying more attention to gcc. The architects responded
> uniformly with complaints about how difficult it is to work with the gcc
> team. They all understand their interest in having gcc work will with
> their processors, but actually getting patches into the gcc code base is
> difficult."  (http://lwn.net/Articles/40831/)
>
> I'm not sure why they think it is so difficult.  It would seem that if
> the patch is architecture-specific and well-formed (ie. conforming to
> the coding style, etc), it typically just goes in, period.  And patches
> to target-independent code may go through one or two review cycles, but
> again, if the patch looks good, it goes in.  At least, I got the
> impression that patches are seldomly rejected.
>
> So why would these people think it's difficult to work with the people
> on this list, and to contribute code (and what can be done about it)?
>
> Gr.
> Steven

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-07-31  9:47   ` Randy.Dunlap
From: Randy.Dunlap @ 2003-07-31  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aaronl; +Cc: s.bosscher, gcc

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:44:19AM +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
>> I'm not sure why they think it is so difficult.  It would seem that if the
>> patch is architecture-specific and well-formed (ie. conforming to the
>> coding style, etc), it typically just goes in, period.  And patches to
>> target-independent code may go through one or two review cycles, but
>> again, if the patch looks good, it goes in.  At least, I got the
>> impression that patches are seldomly rejected.
>
> Copyright assignments.

Yes, it seemed to be more about legal issues
than working with the gcc developers.

~Randy

* Re: GCC
@ 2003-07-31  9:30 ` Aaron Lehmann
                     ` (2 more replies)
       [not found] ` <mailpost.1059633748.1819@news-sj1-1>
From: Aaron Lehmann @ 2003-07-31  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 08:44:19AM +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> I'm not sure why they think it is so difficult.  It would seem that if
> the patch is architecture-specific and well-formed (ie. conforming to
> the coding style, etc), it typically just goes in, period.  And patches
> to target-independent code may go through one or two review cycles, but
> again, if the patch looks good, it goes in.  At least, I got the
> impression that patches are seldomly rejected.

Copyright assignments.

* GCC
@ 2003-07-31  9:25 Steven Bosscher
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2003-07-31  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2003-04-14 15:39 Leonardo B. Cuquejo
From: Leonardo B. Cuquejo @ 2003-04-14 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello There!

A have try to compile gcc 3.2.2 in openbsd 3.2 and have theses erros:
, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>
>::_S_empty_rep_storagerefs follow
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/basic_string.tcc:150: Undefined symbol `std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>
>::_Rep::_S_create(unsigned, std::allocator<char> const&)' referenced
from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/basic_string.h:166: Undefined symbol `std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_terminal'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/basic_string.tcc:147: Undefined symbol
`std::__throw_logic_error(char const*)' referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/ext/stl_hashtable.h:886: Undefined symbol `std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::_Rep::_S_terminal'
referenced from text segment
abi_check.cc:69: Undefined symbol `std::locale::classic()' referenced
from text segment
abi_check.cc:69: Undefined symbol `std::collate<char> const&
std::use_facet<std::collate<char> >(std::locale const&)' referenced from
text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/ext/stl_hashtable.h:896: Undefined symbol `___cxa_begin_catch'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/ext/stl_hashtable.h:904: Undefined symbol `___cxa_rethrow' referenced
from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/ext/stl_hashtable.h:904: Undefined symbol `___cxa_end_catch'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_alloc.h:238: Undefined symbol
`std::__default_alloc_template<(bool)1, (int)0>::allocate(unsigned)'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_alloc.h:238: Undefined symbol
`std::__default_alloc_template<(bool)1, (int)0>::allocate(unsigned)'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_deque.h:503: Undefined symbol `___cxa_begin_catch'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_deque.h:506: Undefined symbol `___cxa_rethrow' referenced
from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_deque.h:506: Undefined symbol `___cxa_end_catch' referenced
from text segment
../libsupc++/new:0: More undefined symbol ___cxa_begin_catch refs follow
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_uninitialized.h:0: More undefined symbol ___cxa_rethrow refs
follow
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_uninitialized.h:0: More undefined symbol ___cxa_end_catch
refs follow
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/iostream:63: Undefined symbol `std::ios_base::Init::~Init
[in-charge]()' referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/iostream:63: Undefined symbol
`std::ios_base::Init::Init[in-charge]()' referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/sstream:234: Undefined symbol `vtable for std::basic_stringbuf<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >' referenced from text
segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/streambuf:241: Undefined symbol `vtable for
std::basic_streambuf<char, std::char_traits<char> >' referenced from
text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/streambuf:245: Undefined symbol `std::locale::~locale [in-charge]()'
referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_vector.h:395: Undefined symbol
`std::__throw_length_error(char const*)' referenced from text segment
/usr/local/src/gcc-3.2.2/i386-unknown-openbsd3.2/fpic/libstdc++-v3/inclu
de/bits/stl_alloc.h:0: More undefined symbol
std::__default_alloc_template<(bool)1, (int)0>::allocate(unsigned)refs
follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Thank's
Leonardo B. Cuquejo
System/Network Administrator - Magic Web Design
leo@magicwebdesign.com.br
www.magicwebdesign.com.br
(41) 342-6434 Curitiba - PR - Brasil

* Re: GCC
@ 2002-12-19  7:54 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-12-19  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: daniel_madri, pinskia; +Cc: gcc

> Download it from connect.apple.com, it is free account and you can
> download it from them. Also download CHUD for Mac OS X from
> http://developer.apple.com/tools/debuggers.html, CHUD is a set of
> performance tools which are very useful.

I thought that OS X came with the gcc development suite, that's what Apple
told us at the special presentation to a few CS professors as it was being
rolled out with the Titanium laptops (too bad they did not give away some :-)

Hope this is not too off topic, but I had always thought that it was really
interesting that OS X was delivered with the GCC development stuff.

* Re: GCC
@ 2002-12-18 21:54 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2002-12-18 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Madri; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc

Download it from connect.apple.com, it is free account and you can
download it from them. Also download CHUD for Mac OS X from
http://developer.apple.com/tools/debuggers.html, CHUD is a set of
performance tools which are very useful.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

On Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002, at 19:36 US/Pacific, Daniel Madri wrote:

> hello,
> I am currently taking a course in C/C++ and was advised by my
> professor that your site had a great C/C++ compiler for Macintosh OS
> X.  I'm fiding it difficult to navigate your site and find the
> downloadable files for this C/C++ Compiler.  can you please tell me
> which files i should download and how to get to them from your site?
> Thank you very much.
> Dan Madri

* GCC
@ 2002-12-18 21:51 Daniel Madri
From: Daniel Madri @ 2002-12-18 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2002-12-18 21:47 Daniel Madri
From: Daniel Madri @ 2002-12-18 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D8EA584@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-11-13  4:16 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-11-13  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'reza afshar'; +Cc: gcc

Reza Afshar wrote:

(This would have been more appropriate for the gcc-help mailing list;
this list is for development of GCC.)

> gcc -g -o fileSaveAs -lssl -lcrypto fileSaveAs.c
> i recive mesage "cant open -lssl".

Do you have a libssl.a or libssl.so built and installed?

If not, you can use OpenSSL from http://www.openssl.org/.

If you do, you need to make sure that GCC can find it: use the -L switch
before -lssl to specify the library search path.

Good luck,
Rup.

* gcc
@ 2002-11-13  2:25 reza afshar
From: reza afshar @ 2002-11-13  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hi
please help me.when i use gcc compiler whit:
gcc -g -o fileSaveAs -lssl -lcrypto fileSaveAs.c
i recive mesage "cant open -lssl".

thanks you
reza afshar
iso@engineer.com

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Single & ready to mingle? lavalife.com:  Where singles click. Free to Search!
http://www.lavalife.com/wp.epl?a=2716

* GCC
@ 2002-08-16  3:42 Tres Melton
From: Tres Melton @ 2002-08-16  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

In case you guys don't hear it often enough:

THANK - YOU

for everything that you have done in contributing to an operating
environment that is free of unreasonable restrictions.

Cheers,
Tres

* gcc
@ 2002-07-21 17:16 Huidong Yu
From: Huidong Yu @ 2002-07-21 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Sir/Madam,

I found your message from http://gcc.gnu.org, could you help to answer my
question?

After I configure, I use "make bootstrap" to build the compiler and runtime
libraries, but it always show the following info:
make: file `Makefile' line 1245: Syntax error

and the line 1245 in Makefile is showed by following:

# This rule is used to build the modules which are built with the
# build machine's native compiler.
.PHONY: $(ALL_BUILD_MODULES)
$(ALL_BUILD_MODULES):\\Here it is line 1245,but I can't find anything error,
	@dir=`echo $@ | sed -e 's/all-build-//'`; \
	if [ -f ./$${dir}/Makefile ] ; then \
	  r=`pwd`; export r; \
	  s=`cd $(srcdir); pwd`; export s; \
	  (cd $(BUILD_SUBDIR)/$${dir} && $(MAKE) all); \
	else \
	  true; \
	fi

Could you help me? Thanks for your time.

****************************
Best Wishes,
Huidong Yu
Cntr. for Pharm. Biotech.
College of Pharmacy
Univ. of Illinois at Chicago
****************************

* Re: GCC
@ 2002-07-19  8:24 ` Maggie
From: Maggie @ 2002-07-19  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stephen miller, gcc

As I know,there is a project named dev-c++.

Regards
    Maggie
From: stephen miller @ 2002-07-19  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2002-04-02 10:50 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2002-04-02 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Every, Vanessa; +Cc: 'gcc@gnu.org'

> I noticed that you will soon be releasing the version 3.1.  I currently have
> version 3.0.2.  Would you advise me waiting until 3.1 to upgrade, or should
> I upgrade to the latest released version?  Is there any benefits in doing
> so?  Please let me know when you can.  Thanks so much.

3.0.4 has many bug fixes compared to 3.0.2, but ultimately it is your
decision.

* Re: Gcc
@ 2002-04-02 10:34 Every, Vanessa
From: Every, Vanessa @ 2002-04-02 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gnu.org'

I noticed that you will soon be releasing the version 3.1.  I currently have
version 3.0.2.  Would you advise me waiting until 3.1 to upgrade, or should
I upgrade to the latest released version?  Is there any benefits in doing
so?  Please let me know when you can.  Thanks so much.

  Vanessa Every

* Re: gcc
@ 2002-03-06 14:36 ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2002-03-06 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stéphane THOMAS; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:19:49PM +0100, Stéphane THOMAS wrote:
> Hello,
> $ ./config.guess
> i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
> $ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4/specs
> Configured with: /usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/configure --prefix=/usr
> Thread model: single
> gcc version 3.0.4

> Kernel : 2.4.8
>
> $ rpm -q glibc
> glibc-2.2.4-6mdk

Thanks!  I've added this to the GCC 3.0 build status list at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html.

Janis

* gcc
@ 2002-03-06 13:19 Stéphane THOMAS
From: Stéphane THOMAS @ 2002-03-06 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,
$ ./config.guess
i686-pc-linux-gnu

$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr//bin/../lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.0.4/specs
Configured with: /usr/local/src/gcc-3.0.4/configure --prefix=/usr
Thread model: single
gcc version 3.0.4

Kernel : 2.4.8

$ rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.2.4-6mdk

I'm sorry if this released version of GCC ever exits, i have not seen it on     http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.0/buildstat.html

 regards,

+-=<|>=-+[ S T E F ]+-=<|>=-+

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-10-16  4:05 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-10-16  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Narendra Singh; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Narendra Singh wrote:
> i want to download the latest version of gnu c compiler for linux.

Please note that we prefer GNU/Linux is the name of the operating system.
http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

> please do the favour.

I am spending a couple of hours per week (on average) maintaining our
website at http://gcc.gnu.org .

If you have any problems locating download information concerning GCC
there, please let us know -- ideally with a suggested way of improving
the situation -- and I will try to improve the site.

Gerald

* gcc
@ 2001-10-16  3:52 Narendra Singh
From: Narendra Singh @ 2001-10-16  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hi,
i want to download the latest version of gnu c compiler for linux.
please do the favour.

regards
naren

http://clubs.lycos.com/live/events/september11.asp

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-09-20 10:43 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-09-20 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, j.jia

> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:11:47 +1000
> From: "Jimmy X. Jia" <j.jia@minmet.uq.edu.au>

> I want to download cygwin but after I run setup.exe, following the
> instructions in the redhat.com site, I can not run gcc.  So again I
> would like to download the GCC from mirror sites, could you tell me
> how to do it if you have such experience or give me some
> suggestions?

If you cannot run gcc from cygwin install there isn't much we are able
to help you with here.  My recommendation would be to try installing
cygwin again, and if after that, it doesn't work, try the cygwin
mailing list.  Make sure that you actually download gcc.  Make sure
you click on the cygwin icon.  And make you include for them all the
details, like what you type, where you type it, and what the exact
error message you see in response.

* GCC
@ 2001-09-19 17:15 Jimmy X. Jia
From: Jimmy X. Jia @ 2001-09-19 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dera Sir or Madam,
I want to download cygwin but after I run setup.exe, following the
instructions in the redhat.com site, I can not run gcc.
So again I would like to download the GCC from mirror sites, could you tell
me how to do it if you have such experience or give me some suggestions?

Thanks
Jimmy X. Jia

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-09-19 16:45     ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2001-09-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Klemm; +Cc: gcc

> The 8051 is a pure 8 bit CPU. You need a 16 bit compiler. Can gcc be a 16
> bit compiler? And you still have a lot of internal special features which

Sure it can. There are already some ports to 16 bit and 8/16 bit cpus.

> are speaking against a not specialized compiler. It is difficult enough to
> write assembler code for the 8031/51/535 family because there's not the
> slightest support of 16 bit arithmetic like the Z80 it has.

Well, that drudgery can be done by the compiler.  Of course, the register
allocation is not likely to be optimal.  Expect somewhat larger and slower
programs that what the average assembler programmer does.

> Assembler programmers try to lay array so, that they do not cross page
> boundaries, this speeds up code by a factor between 1.8 and 3.

That would be a job for the linker.  And gcc might want to emit
special relocations that allow to tailor the code for sucess / failure of
the array alignment.  It's not trivial, but it can be done.

> There are specialized C compilers for the 8051, so you can control the
> code generation. It's something like _near, _far and _huge in MS-DOS.

That would need quite a lot of work to do with gcc.  We do have provisions
for machine dependent attributes, but we use a single mode for all
pointers (Pmode).

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-09-19 16:31 ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2001-09-19 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike stump; +Cc: thomascanny, gcc

> Isn't this inconsequential?  One can always dummy up a stack trough
> convention, just as one dummies up more registers through convention.

Mostly true.  But you'd have to go to a full interpreter if the native
machine code doesn't allow reading / writing of the program counter.

The 8008 comes to mind.  Well, I suppose you can manage with appropriate
relocations, by having the caller site load the return address as immediate
data and putting it into your software stack, and having the callee use
self-modifyig code to return.

> In fact, don't most risc cpu do exactly this anyway?  [ thumbing
> through my mips book ] I don't see any mention of a stack anywhere in
> my mips book.  Doesn't seem to be a problem in the least.

Well, but surely ease of implementation of a stack (in RAM) was a design
criterion for the architecture.

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-09-19 10:50 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-09-19 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: amylaar, thomascanny; +Cc: gcc

> From: Joern Rennecke <amylaar@onetel.net.uk>
> To: thomascanny@yahoo.co.nz (=?iso-8859-1?q?thomas=20joseph?=)
> Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:05:21 +0100 (BST)

> Lack of a proper stack would be a more serious problem,

Isn't this inconsequential?  One can always dummy up a stack trough
convention, just as one dummies up more registers through convention.
In fact, don't most risc cpu do exactly this anyway?  [ thumbing
through my mips book ] I don't see any mention of a stack anywhere in
my mips book.  Doesn't seem to be a problem in the least.

:-)

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-09-19  9:56   ` Frank Klemm
From: Frank Klemm @ 2001-09-19  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joern Rennecke, gcc

@ 2001-09-19  7:05 ` Joern Rennecke
From: Joern Rennecke @ 2001-09-19  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thomas joseph; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-09-19  5:37 thomas joseph
From: thomas joseph @ 2001-09-19  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,
 I want to know on what kind of architectures gcc will
run. Is there any limitat
ion on the no of registers (eg. m68hc11 uses soft
registers) and addressing
modes.Suppose is it possible to port GCC for an
architecture like 8051,
where there is no indexed addressing mode. I do n't
know 8051's architecture,
but I want to know for my research interest.
Any suggestions would be of great help.

thanks and regards,

 V.Brahmaiah

* gcc
@ 2001-09-04 16:02 Brian Dilley
From: Brian Dilley @ 2001-09-04 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

i am making gcc able to compile windows vistual c projects.

I never grew up, i was born grown up and grew down.

Quote of the decade:

"Computer games don't affect kids;
I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened
rooms, munching magic pills and listening
to repetitive electronic music."

Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-08-11 11:23 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-08-11 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Avner; +Cc: gcc

On Aug 10, 2001, Alex Avner <alex_avner@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The restriction that I have is that I do not have root priviledges and
> I need to install gcc in a directory other than /usr/bin.

This is no problem.  Any version of GCC can be installed anywhere,
just configure --prefix=/my/home/directory/gcc

* GCC
@ 2001-08-10 14:03 Alex Avner
From: Alex Avner @ 2001-08-10 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am trying to find a versio of gcc that can be used to compile the
Perl-DBI package on Solaris 5.6 . Do you know if there is an
appropriate version that  can download?

The restriction that I have is that I do not have root priviledges and
I need to install gcc in a directory other than /usr/bin.

Thank You
Alex Avner

http://im.yahoo.com/

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-07-31  6:47 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-07-31  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kutzler, Paul; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

On Jul 31, 2001, "Kutzler, Paul" <Paul.Kutzler@arrowintl.com> wrote:

> Do you have instructions on compiling for an HPUX 11.0 platform?  Or is
> there an older version that will install correctly on this OS?

GCC 3.0 is the first release of GCC that supports HP-UX 11.00.  There
is a libtool configure issue that seems to affect some HP-UX boxes,
that is already fixed for 3.0.1, though.  You may be able to find the
patch in the gcc-patches archives of the past few weeks.

* GCC
@ 2001-07-31  6:07 Kutzler, Paul
From: Kutzler, Paul @ 2001-07-31  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Do you have instructions on compiling for an HPUX 11.0 platform?  Or is
there an older version that will install correctly on this OS?

Thanks

Paul E. Kutzler II
UNIX Systems Administrator
Arrow International, Inc
Corporate Offices
2400 Bernville Road, Reading, PA  19605
Voice:  610 - 378 - 0131, ext.3458
Fax:  610 - 374 - 5360

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-07-20 21:52 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-07-20 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umesh V Bywar; +Cc: gcc

On Jul 14, 2001, Umesh V Bywar <umeshb@cse.iitb.ac.in> wrote:

> 	can I get a rpm package of gcc version 2.95.2 for linux?

At gcc.gnu.org site, you'll only find source versions in .tar.gz
format.  You may be able to find RPM sources or pre-compiled versions
for various distributions of GNU/Linux at www.rpmfind.net.

* gcc
@ 2001-07-14  1:51 Umesh V Bywar
From: Umesh V Bywar @ 2001-07-14  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

hello,

	can I get a rpm package of gcc version 2.95.2 for linux?
	i need it urgrntly for my project.
	thank you,

Umesh Bywar,
Graduate Student,
IIT Bombay,
Powai, Mumbai,
India.

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-05-18 14:31 mike stump
From: mike stump @ 2001-05-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, hrsre

> Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:55:05 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "H. Rane" <hrsre@yahoo.com>
> To: gcc@gcc.gnu.org

> is the gcc capable of generating code for multiprocessor computers,
> f.e. smp code ?

Yes.

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-05-18 11:20   ` Diego Novillo
From: Diego Novillo @ 2001-05-18 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Erik Mouw; +Cc: H. Rane, gcc

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 08:55:05AM -0700, H. Rane wrote:
> > is the gcc capable of generating code for
> > multiprocessor computers, f.e. smp code ?
> >
> > If not, is there any commercial linux c++ compiler
> > capable to do so ?
>
> There is no such thing as a C or C++ compiler for generating
> multiprocessor code. You have to do the multiprocessing yourself, C or
> C++ compilers won't do that for you. Things like POSIX threads will
> help, but *you* still have to separate the program into threads.

He might be thinking about parallelizing/vectorizing compilers.
GCC is neither. There are several academic projects that have
done this to various degrees of completion.

The SGI compiler accepts pragma directives to parallelize blocks
and loops. It even has an auto-parallelizer option.

Diego.

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-05-18 11:06 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2001-05-18 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: H. Rane; +Cc: gcc

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 08:55:05AM -0700, H. Rane wrote:
> is the gcc capable of generating code for
> multiprocessor computers, f.e. smp code ?
>
> If not, is there any commercial linux c++ compiler
> capable to do so ?

There is no such thing as a C or C++ compiler for generating
multiprocessor code. You have to do the multiprocessing yourself, C or
C++ compilers won't do that for you. Things like POSIX threads will
help, but *you* still have to separate the program into threads.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J.A.K.Mouw@its.tudelft.nl

* GCC
@ 2001-05-18  8:55 H. Rane
From: H. Rane @ 2001-05-18  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Sirs,

is the gcc capable of generating code for
multiprocessor computers, f.e. smp code ?

If not, is there any commercial linux c++ compiler
capable to do so ?

e-mail: hrsre@yahoo.com

Regards

Jack

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

* GCC
@ 2001-05-03 10:44 Christopher Fournier
From: Christopher Fournier @ 2001-05-03 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am a student at the University of Maine.  I am working on a project
and was intstructed to obtain and build a GNU C++ compiler in Unix.  We
have Mac OSX, I am not familiar with Mac's at all, but I do know C++
programming.  Any assistance would be greatly appretiated.

Thank you for your time.

Christopher Fournier
Civil Engineering Undergraduate
Class of 2004.

* Re: GCC
@ 2001-05-03  7:31 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-05-03  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BABICA, Rasto; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

On May  3, 2001, "BABICA, Rasto" <RBabica@globtel.sk> wrote:

> I would like to ask you something about gcc v. 2.95.3.
> The server is running with Alpha UNIX Tru64 v. 5.1 OS

GCc 2.95.3 doesn't support Tru64 5.*.  You're going to need a
development snapshot.

* GCC
@ 2001-05-03  7:20 BABICA, Rasto
From: BABICA, Rasto @ 2001-05-03  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

	Hello,

I would like to ask you something about gcc v. 2.95.3.
The server is running with Alpha UNIX Tru64 v. 5.1 OS and I'm trying to
recompile
gcc v. 2.95.3. During compilation there occur an error.

gcc   -c   -DIN_GCC   -DHAIFA   -g   -02   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H   -I.  -I.
-I./config  -I./../include version.c

mips-tfile, /tmp/ccEKQXXp.s:8 Invalid .stabs/.stabn directive, value not
found
line: #.stabs "/re0/src/gcc-2.95.3/gcc/",100,0,0,$Ltext0

mips-tfile, /tmp/ccEKQXXp.s:8 Invalid .stabs/.stabn directive, value not
found
line: #.stabs "version.c",100,0,0,$Ltext0

make[1]: *** [version.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/re0/src/gcc-2.95.3/gcc'
make: *** [all-gcc] Error 2

I didn't find any description of this problem. Could you advice me, how to
compile gcc succesfully ?

	rasto babica
	babica@globtel.sk

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-03-16  9:15 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2001-03-16  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jumblat, Ghassan; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Jumblat, Ghassan wrote:
> I think my problem is I do not have a native compiler on my system and
> therefore
> I get the error messages.
>
> How do I install gcc on my system from scratch  ??

To install GCC from scratch you absolutely need a native compiler.

Our documentation at http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html which
is linked from what you read explicitly covers this, together with a
solution.

Gerald

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-03-16  8:42 ` Craig Rodrigues
From: Craig Rodrigues @ 2001-03-16  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jumblat, Ghassan; +Cc: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Get a binary distribution of gcc from http://www.sunfreeware.com
--
Craig Rodrigues
http://www.gis.net/~craigr

* gcc
@ 2001-03-16  7:40 Jumblat, Ghassan
From: Jumblat, Ghassan @ 2001-03-16  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi..
I downloaded the file gcc-2.95.2.tar.gz
gunzip the file and untar.

I am trying to install gcc compiler on my system.
I am following the instructions from the documents on the following site:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/index.html

Tough at the configuration level when running ./configure I keep getting
error messages such as:
Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/objdir using "mh-frag"
/tmp/gcc-2.95.2/configure: /tmp/gcc-2.95.2/gcc: cannot execute
*** The command '/tmp/gcc-2.95.2/gcc -o conftest -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I think my problem is I do not have a native compiler on my system and
therefore
I get the error messages.

How do I install gcc on my system from scratch  ??

Thank you

regards,
ghassan
System Engineer
w: 416-682-6428
c: 416-985-8300

Warning:  All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received by the
Charles Schwab corporate e-mail system and is subject to archival and review
by someone other than the recipient.

* GCC...
@ 2001-03-14 15:37 Brad Roberts
From: Brad Roberts @ 2001-03-14 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu; +Cc: gcc

  Dear GNU and/or GCC,   I downloaded all four components GCC, binutils, mingw32 and the windows32api headers.   I followed the in structions on the installation page, unfortunately I was not successful getting the GCC Compiler to work.   The response is “Bad Command.”    I want to be able to compile and execute C programs, I am just beginning to learn the language and am generally not to computer literate.   If there are “dumbed down” installation instructions please direct me to those.   Or I would be happy to purchase the software on a CD-ROM if that would make it easier for me to load and use.   (I was referred to your site by my professor Dr. Blaine Garfolo (SFSU)—he assumes more technical ability than I have.)   If you can provide me with any assistance I would certainly appreciate it.    Thank you for your help. Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

* GCC...
@ 2001-03-14 15:21 Brad Roberts
From: Brad Roberts @ 2001-03-14 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu; +Cc: gcc

Dear GNU:    I downloaded all four components GCC, binutils, mingw32 and the windows32api headers.   I followed the in structions on the installation page, unfortunately I was not successful getting the GCC Compiler to work.   The response is “Bad Command.”   Below is a copy of my AutoExec.bat file.   If you can offer any advice I would appreciate it.   I want to be able to compile and execute C programs, I am just beginning to learn the language and am generally not to computer literate.   If there are “dumbed down” installation instructions please direct me to those.   Or I would be happy to purchase the software on a CD-ROM if that would make it easier for me to load and use.   (I was referred to your site by my professor Dr. Blaine Garfolo (SFSU)—he assumes more technical ability than I have.)   If you can provide me with any assistance I would certainly appreciate it.   My email address is @msn.com, RobertsBrad   Thank you for your help.     Autoexec.bat:   @ECHO OFF path=c:\windows;c:\windows\command;c:\MINGW32\BIN \hibinv.exe set C_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\MINGW32\include set CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=C:\MINGW32\include\g++;C:\MINGW32\include set LIBRARY_PATH=C:\MINGW32\lib set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=C:\MINGW32\lib\gcc-lib\ call \checksr.bat IF "%config%"=="QUICK" GOTO QUICK set EXPAND=YES SET DIRCMD=/O:N set LglDrv=27 * 26 Z 25 Y 24 X 23 W 22 V 21 U 20 T 19 S 18 R 17 Q 16 P 15 set LglDrv=%LglDrv% O 14 N 13 M 12 L 11 K 10 J 9 I 8 H 7 G 6 F 5 E 4 D 3 C cls call setramd.bat %LglDrv% set temp=c:\ set tmp=c:\ path=%RAMD%:\;a:\;%path%;%CDROM%:\ copy command.com %RAMD%:\ > NUL set comspec=%RAMD%:\command.com copy extract.exe %RAMD%:\ > NUL copy readme.txt %RAMD%:\ > NUL   :ERROR IF EXIST ebd.cab GOTO EXT echo Please insert Windows Millennium Edition Startup Disk 2 echo. pause GOTO ERROR   :EXT %RAMD%:\extract /y /e /l %RAMD%: ebd.cab > NUL echo The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive %RAMD%. echo.   IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO QUIT IF "%config%"=="HELP" GOTO HELP LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM% ::If MSCDEX doesn't find a drive... IF ERRORLEVEL 1 SET CDPROB=1 :: GOTO QUIT   :HELP LH %ramd%:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM% ::If MSCDEX doesn't find a drive... IF ERRORLEVEL 1 SET CDPROB=1 cls call help.bat :: GOTO QUIT   :QUIT call fixit.bat rem clean up environment variables set CDPROB= set CDROM= set LglDrv= GOTO QUICK  :QUICK Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-02-01 22:11         ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-01 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aimin Pan; +Cc: gcc

On Feb  2, 2001, "Aimin Pan" <aimin.pan@broadvision.com> wrote:

> How can I specify the secondary directory when configuring?

I think you don't really want to do that.

I suggest that you configure GCC with --enable-languages=c
--prefix=/some/temporary/pathname, run `make all' instead of `make
bootstrap', then `make install' this temporary copy of GCC.  Then,
clean up this build tree and start over using the just-built copy of
GCC to build the final compiler.

There are certainly other work-arounds, but then you'll probably end
up with a compiler that either doesn't search /usr/include (which is
odd), or that has headers incompatible with those in /usr/include in
its own headers directory.

* Re: gcc
@ 2001-02-01 21:56       ` Aimin Pan
From: Aimin Pan @ 2001-02-01 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc

Thanks for your reply.

It seems I have 2 include directories and 2 library directories:
    /usr/include
    /usr/ucbinclude
And
    /usr/lib
    /usr/ucblib

I found the vfork.h is in /usr/ucbinclude. And my cc is /usr/ucb/ucbcc (it's
in the PATH)
How can I specify the secondary directory when configuring?

Regards,
Aimin Pan

From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-01 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aimin Pan; +Cc: gcc

@ 2001-02-01 18:33   ` Aimin Pan
From: Aimin Pan @ 2001-02-01 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Oliva; +Cc: gcc

Thanks Alexandre and everyone for answering. But I am facing another
problem:

I have downloaded a trial version of solaris c compiler (and it worked in
compiling).
I have configured gcc successfully. (run "configure")
But when I ran "make bootstrap", the following error appeared:

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin/  -DIN_GCC -DHAI
FA -DSVR4  -O2 -g   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -I. -I. -I./config -I./../include  \
-DTARGET_MACHINE=\"sparc-sun-solaris2.7\"  \
-c `echo ./collect2.c | sed 's,^\./,,'`
collect2.c:38: vfork.h: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `collect2.o'
Current working directory /export/home/bw/gnu/gcc-2.95.2/gcc
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `bootstrap'
$

I checked my file system, there is no "vfork.h" file. Could you please give
me
any suggestions?

Thanks.
Aimin Pan

From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-02-01 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aimin Pan; +Cc: gcc

sites providing them at gcc.gnu.org

* gcc
@ 2001-02-01  1:14 Aimin Pan
From: Aimin Pan @ 2001-02-01  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear sir,

I want to install gcc on my solaris machine because the old cc is expired.
I wonder whether I can install gcc without a working compiler? If yes, how?
I have downloaded gcc but the configure script always says:

*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Could you please give me any instruction? Thanks.

Regards,
Aimin Pan

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-12-07 12:07 ` Aldy Hernandez
From: Aldy Hernandez @ 2000-12-07 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c958179; +Cc: gcc

 > Hi,

 > How can I run a program which is compiled with a gcc compiler,on a IRIX
 > machine?

 > I can even run a simple hello.C.
 > I am getting a.out file when I compile the hello file but I can't run the
 > a.out file.

You probably don't have the current directory in your path.

Try:
	./a.out

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-12-07 11:53 ` Eric Christopher
From: Eric Christopher @ 2000-12-07 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: c958179; +Cc: gcc

c958179@student.dtu.dk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How can I run a program which is compiled with a gcc compiler,on a IRIX
> machine?
>
> I can even run a simple hello.C.
> I am getting a.out file when I compile the hello file but I can't run the
> a.out file.

Could you provide any more information?  A rough description of what
happens?  What you did to compile the program?  Anything?

-eric

* GCC
@ 2000-12-07 11:09 c958179
From: c958179 @ 2000-12-07 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

How can I run a program which is compiled with a gcc compiler,on a IRIX
machine?

I can even run a simple hello.C.
I am getting a.out file when I compile the hello file but I can't run the
a.out file.

Regards.

S.c

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-09-13  8:20 ` Benedetto Proietti
From: Benedetto Proietti @ 2000-09-13  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansie de Hoop, gcc

Ansie de Hoop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please be so kind as to mail the gcc 2.95.2 compiler to me , i can't
> download the stuff from any of the sites availible.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Ansie

sent.
Benedetto

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-09-13  7:43 ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2000-09-13  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ansie; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:17:09 +0200, Ansie de Hoop wrote:
> Please be so kind as to mail the gcc 2.95.2 compiler to me , i can't
> download the stuff from any of the sites availible.

That doesn't work. If you happen to be at the wrong side of a slow link,
email also won't come through and bounces back to the sender. You'd better
use a download tool that supports continue mode, like GNU wget:

  ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/

@ 2000-09-13  7:31 Ansie de Hoop
From: Ansie de Hoop @ 2000-09-13  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

@ 2000-05-28  8:07 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-05-28  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tgjp; +Cc: gcc

Did you mean to include a message?

Martin

* gcc
@ 2000-05-28  0:04 Hendrix
From: Hendrix @ 2000-05-28  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-03-28  0:29   ` Erik Mouw
From: Erik Mouw @ 2000-03-28  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin; +Cc: TGibson, gcc

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:51:05 +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>> I have been trying to download the GCC but my browser hangs on the ftp link.
>> I have also tried to connect to the gnu and other mirror ftp sites using my
>> ftp software but it gives a "connect timeout".  Could you possibly email me
>> the GCC. I am primarily interested in the Java compiler for win95/98.
>
> Instead of the Web browser, you can try wether the command line ftp
> client is any better, or try to get a good ftp client (like
> wsftp). With ftp, you can restart transmission if the connection times
> out.

Another good tool that supports continue mode over http as well as ftp
links is GNU wget ( ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/ ).

> I personally cannot send you binaries - they'd have to go twice over
> my phone line, and I cannot afford that.

Mailing large binaries on unreliable links doesn't make sense anyway. The
SMTP protocol doesn't have a continue mode, so it will try for a couple of
days before it will bounce the message back to the sender.

Erik

--
"I'm just this guy you know?"  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox in
"The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams

* Re: GCC
@ 2000-03-27 12:59 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-03-27 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TGibson; +Cc: gcc

@ 2000-03-27 11:53 Gibson, Terry
From: Gibson, Terry @ 2000-03-27 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc@gcc.gnu.org'

Hello,
I have been trying to download the GCC but my browser hangs on the ftp link.
I have also tried to connect to the gnu and other mirror ftp sites using my
ftp software but it gives a "connect timeout".  Could you possibly email me
the GCC. I am primarily interested in the Java compiler for win95/98.

Thank you,
Terry Gibson (817)280-5451
Sr. Engineering Specialist
Bell Helicopter Textron, Inc.

* Re: gcc
@ 2000-01-21  4:47 ` Christian Jönsson FOA 72
From: Christian Jönsson FOA 72 @ 2000-01-21  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xroxcat; +Cc: gcc

You might want to use the binary packages available via

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

Cheers,

/ChJ

* gcc
@ 2000-01-21  4:41 Xroxcat
From: Xroxcat @ 2000-01-21  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear GNU,

I am trying to find and download gcc for a SPARC 20 with SUN 4.1.4
or SOLARIS 2.7. How do I login to an ftp site?

Thank you,
Michael Olson
xroxcat@aol.com

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-12-31 23:54   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anwar.sayid; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999 anwar.sayid@gecm.com wrote:
> I'm trying to install GCC for the first time on a
> SUN SPARC 10.  There are presently no other compilers
> avaiable on the workstation.  How can I install GCC?

In that case you have to start with a binary version of GCC. In our
installation notes (probably those for GCC 2.95.x, but definitely in
those on our web page) we provide an URL.

Gerald

* GCC
@ 1999-12-31 23:54 ` anwar.sayid
From: anwar.sayid @ 1999-12-31 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, anwar.sayid

Hi GCC,

	I'm trying to install GCC for the first time on a
SUN SPARC 10.  There are presently no other compilers
avaiable on the workstation.  How can I install GCC?

Best Regards, Anwar

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-12-15  8:28 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1999-12-15  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: anwar.sayid; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-12-15  8:09 anwar.sayid
From: anwar.sayid @ 1999-12-15  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, anwar.sayid

Hi GCC,

@ 1999-11-30 23:37 ` salmena
From: salmena @ 1999-11-30 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: salmena

Hi!

I am a new Linux user. I've tried to configure
my new kernel. The problem is that I need an
updated version of GCC.

My question is that if I download the source
GCC.2.95.2.tar.gz or GCC.2.95.2.tar.bz2, what
extra files will I need? (e.g. make)

What kernel too?

A lot of thanks,
Santiago

WebMail Internet Cosapi Data.
http://www.cosapidata.com.pe/

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-11-30 23:37   ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-11-30 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: salmena; +Cc: gcc, salmena

> My question is that if I download the source
> GCC.2.95.2.tar.gz or GCC.2.95.2.tar.bz2, what
> extra files will I need? (e.g. make)

On a typical Linux system, you probably have everything you need. Here
is a (potentially incomplete) list:
- /bin/sh
- make
- a C compiler (would be gcc)
- assembler, linker (i.e. binutils)
- C library header files, C library
- ln, etc (i.e. fileutils)

> What kernel too?

The kernel version is not relevant for GCC, gcc uses only C library
calls (which should know how to invoke the kernel).

Regards,
Martin

* Re: GCC
@ 1999-11-06 14:26 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 1999-11-06 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: salmena; +Cc: gcc, salmena

@ 1999-11-06 10:17 salmena
From: salmena @ 1999-11-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: salmena

@ 1999-09-30 18:02   ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 1999-09-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmitry milman cis stnt; +Cc: gcc

http://egcs.cygnus.com/install/specific.html#win+os2

--
Brian Ford
Software Engineer

* GCC
@ 1999-09-30 18:02 ` dmitry milman cis stnt
From: dmitry milman cis stnt @ 1999-09-30 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1999-09-15 13:38 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 1999-09-15 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmitry milman cis stnt; +Cc: gcc

@ 1999-09-15 13:34 dmitry milman cis stnt
From: dmitry milman cis stnt @ 1999-09-15 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 1998-05-18 18:06             ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-05-18 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Myers; +Cc: egcs

	> There is no problem here.  EGCS does exactly what you want.

	Almost.

	In C++ code, local variable static initializers do not yet have support for
	locking during the initialization.  For example, in

The original bug report didn't ask whether the thread support worked perfectly
with all C++ features.  It asked about how the thread support was enabled at
gcc build time.  My answer is correct for that question, and was not meant to
apply to any other question about thread support.

Jim

* Re: GCC
       [not found]         ` <199805150243.TAA10200.cygnus.egcs@rtl.cygnus.com>
@ 1998-05-15 15:17           ` Nathan Myers
From: Nathan Myers @ 1998-05-15 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

Jim Wilson wrote:

>         I have read duscussions on the FreeBSD lists that EGCS have to be compiled
>         differently to handle threaded and non-threaded compilation, IIRC.
>         gcc does "gcc" or "gcc -pthread".
>

> There is no problem here.  EGCS does exactly what you want.

Almost.

In C++ code, local variable static initializers do not yet have support for
locking during the initialization.  For example, in

  void f()
  {
    static T t();
  }

The compiler generates something vaguely like

  void f__v()  // mangled
  {
    static T t;  // no ctor call here
    static bool __t__f_v_inited;
    if (!__t__f_v_inited) {
      T::__ct(&t);  // constructor call
      __t__f_v_inited = true;

For a multi-threaded program, this would need a lock or some other
accommodation.  But gcc-2.8 doesn't have this either.

Nathan Myers
ncm@cantrip.org

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-15  1:48         ` Jim Wilson
       [not found]         ` <199805150243.TAA10200.cygnus.egcs@rtl.cygnus.com>
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-05-15  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mikael Karpberg; +Cc: law, freebsd-stable, egcs

	I have read duscussions on the FreeBSD lists that EGCS have to be compiled
	differently to handle threaded and non-threaded compilation, IIRC.
	gcc does "gcc" or "gcc -pthread". That alone would make GCC lightyears
	better then EGCS. Anything but a runtime option is just not even considerable.

Threads work basically the same way in EGCS that they do in gcc2, so this
sounds confused to me.  There isn't any such difference between gcc2 and
egcs that I am aware of.

The exact thread support depends on the target system, and I don't know the
details for freebsd.  Just using grep, I don't see any thread support in
the gcc2/egcs freebsd configure files.  It is possible that FreeBSD is
using some thread support that hasn't been contributed back to the FSF yet
though.  If that is true, then this has nothing to do with gcc vs egcs.
Any local gcc changes are of course not going to be in the FSF gcc2 or egcs
code.

Thread support is an optional feature than can be configured in or configured
out.  However, that is necessary because not all operating systems support
threads by default.  Some of them only support threads if optional OS
packages are installed.  If thread support is configured in, and the target
requires different assembler/linker options for thread support, then there
will be a command line (runtime) option for threads.  If the OS always
supports threads, then the gcc thread support can be enabled by default.

@ 1998-05-14 15:38         ` Martin von Loewis
       [not found]         ` <199805150243.TAA10200.cygnus.egcs@rtl.cygnus.com>
From: Martin von Loewis @ 1998-05-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: karpen; +Cc: freebsd-stable, egcs

> I have read duscussions on the FreeBSD lists that EGCS have to be compiled
> differently to handle threaded and non-threaded compilation, IIRC.
> gcc does "gcc" or "gcc -pthread". That alone would make GCC lightyears
> better then EGCS. Anything but a runtime option is just not even considerable.
>
> The question now goes, is this true?

As far as I know, this is wrong in multiple aspects.

First, there is no -pthread option to gcc 2.8.

Second, egcs does not generate different code for threaded or
non-threaded systems.

egcs does ask for a thread package during configuration, so that the
C++ and Objective C runtime systems can use them if they are available.
This is important e.g. for thread-safe exception handling, a feature
currently not supported by gcc2.

Regards,
Martin

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-12 15:25       ` Mikael Karpberg
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Mikael Karpberg @ 1998-05-12 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: freebsd-stable, egcs

According to Jeffrey A Law:
>   > My statement above applies to C++.  For C, I'd say gcc 2.8.1 seems fine.
> I suspect egcs-1.0.x to be more stable than 2.8.1 for C code too, but
> the cases where one would notice are more obscure.
>
> For example we've fixed quite a few bugs exposed by glibc.  Most of
> the bugs are probably in gcc-2.8.1.  The symptoms of those bugs are
> such that folks are less likely to notice them.

Ok... so I'm very much behind in my email flood, but, I have to ask this since
no one else did:

I have read duscussions on the FreeBSD lists that EGCS have to be compiled
differently to handle threaded and non-threaded compilation, IIRC.
gcc does "gcc" or "gcc -pthread". That alone would make GCC lightyears
better then EGCS. Anything but a runtime option is just not even considerable.

The question now goes, is this true?
And if so:
  When is that serious malfunction due to die, or when did it die? :-)

  /Mikael

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-06 18:07   ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 1998-05-06 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: obrien
  Cc: P. van Leeuwen, 'law@cygnus.com',
	Joe Buck, pfeifer, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, egcs

	This has been fixed in the development branch since late March, but for
	some reason wasn't brought into the "release" branch.

FYI `release branch' probably means something completely different to the
FreeBSD folks than the EGCS folks.  This is perhaps why you are confused.

FreeBSD has a release branch and a development branch, and work progresses
on them in parallel.

EGCS has only a single source tree, the development tree, and releases are
branches from the development tree.  There was a branch for the egcs-1.0.x
release, and there will be another branch for the egcs-1.1.x release soon.
There is no such thing as "the release branch" such as FreeBSD has, so there
is no point in asking us to add patches to it.  However, since the FreeBSD
patches are in our development tree, they will automatically be in the next
release branch, for the egcs-1.1.x releases.

The patches aren't in the egcs-1.0.x release branch because that was frozen
months ago, and the patches came too late for that.

	It appears 1.0.3 is a Linux-only release as it only address problems
	Linux users had.

It addresses problems from one specific Linux distributor, which needed to
be fixed before egcs could be the primary compiler for their next CD-ROM
distribution.  However, considering that several of the changes are bug fixes
in the x86 port, it would likely be just as useful to FreeBSD users also.

Jim

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-06 14:01       ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 1998-05-06 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wes Peters; +Cc: Gerald Pfeifer, freebsd-stable, egcs

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

> Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> > egcs really isn't Linux-only or even Linux-centered -- Just look at
> > the number of platforms the various contributors are using! -- but
> > clearly this is a very good chance of getting good publicity and a
> > wide distribution.
>
> And I though egcs was RTEMS-centric.  ;^)

I'm flattered to even rate a joke.

I did not think anything except RTEMS was RTEMS-centric.  :)

One of the (few) problems with free software is that the authors don't
know who all is using their work.  I know of many RTEMS applications but
am sure I don't know everyone using it.  Jf you are using RTEMS and have
not said hi to us, we encourage you to do so.

--joel
Joel Sherrill                    Director of Research & Development
   Support Available             (205) 722-9985

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-06 11:36   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-05-06 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freebsd-stable, egcs; +Cc: David O'Brien, P. van Leeuwen, law, Joe Buck

On Wed, 6 May 1998, David O'Brien wrote:
> This has been fixed in the development branch since late March, but
> for some reason wasn't brought into the "release" branch.

The 1.0.x branch is quite stable, but essentially ``dead''.  There will,
however, soon be a new release branch 1.1.x from the current development
branch.

> It appears 1.0.3 is a Linux-only release as it only address problems
> Linux users had.

There (most probably) wouldn't have been a 1.0.3 hadn't RedHat decided
to use egcs for its next distribution.

egcs really isn't Linux-only or even Linux-centered -- Just look at
the number of platforms the various contributors are using! -- but
clearly this is a very good chance of getting good publicity and a
wide distribution.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* RE: GCC
@ 1998-05-06  9:19 P. van Leeuwen
From: P. van Leeuwen @ 1998-05-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'law@cygnus.com', Joe Buck
  Cc: pfeifer, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, obrien, egcs

OK, you guys have convinced me. I use exceptions, so as soon as I can get egcs
installed, I'll take it for a testdrive. Are there any problems on FreeBSD?
What is the current stable release (does that make sense :) ) ?

cheers
Pierre

Pierre-Andre van Leeuwen
Electronic Engineer
Nanoteq (Pty) Ltd
http://www.nanoteq.com
pvl@nanoteq.com
Ph: +27 12 665-1338
  > > > In production shops, I've seen a lot more places go to gcc 2.8.1
  > > > than EGCS, so I feel gcc/g++ is better tested and stable.
  > >
  > > Guys like Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>, author of the "FAQ for g++
  > > and libg++", happen to disagree:
  > >
  > >    [EGCS 1.0.x] is considerably more stable than 2.8.1 and vastly
  > >    more stable than the gcc2 snapshots [...]
  >
  > My statement above applies to C++.  For C, I'd say gcc 2.8.1 seems fine.
I suspect egcs-1.0.x to be more stable than 2.8.1 for C code too, but
the cases where one would notice are more obscure.

For example we've fixed quite a few bugs exposed by glibc.  Most of
the bugs are probably in gcc-2.8.1.  The symptoms of those bugs are
such that folks are less likely to notice them.

An interesting exercise would be to run the testsuite from the
development tree against gcc-2.8.1 and the upcoming egcs-1.0.3
release :-)  I'd bet egcs performs better than gcc-2.7 and gcc-2.8
on most if not all significant targets.

  >  I would be very cautious
  > about shipping any C++ code that uses exceptions with 2.8.1.  Those
  > false warnings you get with -O and -Wall are due to gcc 2.8.1's faulty
  > control flow analysis, and that faulty analysis is used as the basis
  > of optimization.
Yup.  And the person in charge of gcc2 has rejected our suggestions
for fixing the inaccuracies in the cfg.

gcc2 relies on some rather fragile code to avoid incorrect code
with optimization and EH.  I'm not convinced that code will work
right with the existing gcc2 optimizations.  I know it will not
work with the additional optimizations already in egcs.

Our scheme of computing an accurate cfg works and will continue to
work as egcs continues to implement more aggressive optimizers.

  > Those of us on both lists who see the reports know that the egcs testing
  > has been more thorough that the gcc 2.8.x testing.
Absolutely.  egcs-1.0.x went through much more rigorous testing than
gcc-2.8.x.  But since the gcc2 lists are not public most folks are
not aware of how little testing went into gcc-2.8.

  > gcc -fno-exceptions for gcc 2.8.1 is probably fine.  The scandal is that
  > the story FSF has put out as to why gcc 2.8.x took so long had to do with
  > exceptions -- and they *still* haven't gotten it right.
Yup.  Sad really.

jeff

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-06  9:19     ` Wes Peters
From: Wes Peters @ 1998-05-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: freebsd-stable, egcs

@ 1998-05-06  1:02 ` David O'Brien
From: David O'Brien @ 1998-05-06  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: P. van Leeuwen
  Cc: 'law@cygnus.com',
	Joe Buck, pfeifer, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, egcs

> OK, you guys have convinced me. I use exceptions, so as soon as I can
> get egcs installed, I'll take it for a testdrive. Are there any
> problems on FreeBSD?
> What is the current stable release (does that make sense :) ) ?

1.0.3 will be... but it won't do for you out of the box as
gcc/config/i386/freebsd.h isn't for exceptions to work properly.
You will have to always use ``g++ -fsjlj-exceptions''.

This has been fixed in the development branch since late March, but for
some reason wasn't brought into the "release" branch.

It appears 1.0.3 is a Linux-only release as it only address problems
Linux users had.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)

* Re: GCC
@ 1998-05-04 18:07     ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-05-04 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: pfeifer, freebsd-stable, obrien, egcs

@ 1998-05-04  9:11   ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 1998-05-04  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: freebsd-stable, obrien, egcs

> > In production shops, I've seen a lot more places go to gcc 2.8.1
> > than EGCS, so I feel gcc/g++ is better tested and stable.
>
> Guys like Joe Buck <jbuck@synopsys.com>, author of the "FAQ for g++
> and libg++", happen to disagree:
>
>    [EGCS 1.0.x] is considerably more stable than 2.8.1 and vastly
>    more stable than the gcc2 snapshots [...]

My statement above applies to C++.  For C, I'd say gcc 2.8.1 seems fine.

Those of us on both lists who see the reports know that the egcs testing
has been more thorough that the gcc 2.8.x testing.  Also, because
gcc 2.8.1 is missing some crucial backend fixes, I would be very cautious
about shipping any C++ code that uses exceptions with 2.8.1.  Those
false warnings you get with -O and -Wall are due to gcc 2.8.1's faulty
control flow analysis, and that faulty analysis is used as the basis
of optimization.  Of course, you can verify by careful testing that your
code is not being misoptimized, but since there is a better option
available you are better off using it.

       [not found] <19980430041417.42994@nuxi.com>
@ 1998-05-03  9:27 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-05-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: freebsd-stable; +Cc: David O'Brien, egcs

[ Added egcs@cygnus.com, as this might be interesting. ]

On Thu, 30 Apr 1998, David O'Brien wrote:
>> BTW, are there any plans of making EGCS the default compiler for
>> FreeBSD?
> [egcs] is a way fast moving target.  Much of the time the snapshots
> won't compile under FreeBSD.

I was certainly not speaking of snapshots. EGCS _releases_ are
extremely well tested and solid.

(OTOH, GCC 2.8.1 still "exceeds virtual memory" when trying to optimize
some code of mine, a bug that has been fixed for EGCS last December.)

   http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1998-Apr/1105.html

> The last "release" is 1.0.2, but there was much development done from
> the time 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 that didn't get into 1.0.2.

BTW, RedHat plans to build its 5.1 release with EGCS 1.0.3 and there
are already plans for an EGCS 1.1 release as well...

Gerald