public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: GDB 6
@ 2003-05-10 22:35 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2003-05-10 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313; +Cc: gdb

> > What exactly do you mean here?
> > Annotations Level 2 will stay in gdb for version 6.0?
> > This would truly be a great thing.

> It won't have been deleted (but it would continue to be on notice).

Will GDB 6 have annotation level three? The patch that you posted (2003-03-11)
doesn't appear to have been applied yet.

I might have lost the plot a bit. I initially checked out interps-20030202-branch
but, after some difficulty, I moved to HEAD and found that things like

-interpreter-exec console cli-command

 and

interpreter mi -<mi-command> <mi-args>

were present there also. Am I in the right place?

In the past you have suggested that (in the fullness of time)

> The events [annotations] remain (target changed, breakpoint created, ....).
> The markups are removed (*-{begin,end})

I've got my head round variable objects and think that they might map on to
alists and the Emacs speedbar quite well. This means I can avoid the
annotations that mark up displayed expressions. However, the proposed patch
also removed some event annotations e.g source, query. I would like these to
stay. Here is a revised and reduced list of annotations that I think I could
work with:

frames-invalid
breakpoints-invalid
pre-prompt
prompt
commands
overload-choice
query
prompt-for-continue
post-prompt
source
starting
exited
signalled
signal
breakpoint
watchpoint
frame-begin
stopped

Could these stay? (indefinitely?)

Nick

* Re: GDB 6
@ 2003-05-09 18:17 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-05-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, gdb

Andrew Cagney writes:
> Given this, I think the next release of GDB should be named ``GDB 6''.

I was hoping that it would be gdb 5.4, and that we would tell
everyone that has 5.3 that it's good for them to upgrade to 5.4.

Guess I'm outvoted.  :)

The last time I compared 5.3 to HEAD was more than a month ago.
HEAD was in pretty good shape then -- better than gdb-5_3-branch
was when it was branched.

I will try to get back to testing and reporting soon, but I can't
promise anything.

Michael C

* GDB 6
@ 2003-05-09 16:58 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-09 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

The sole objective for GDB 6 was to have GDB multi-arch.  Since Joel has
now committed a change that multi-arch partial's the HP/PA, and all
architectures can be built multi-arch partial, it can be argued that GDB
has technically reached this goal(1).

Given this, I think the next release of GDB should be named ``GDB 6''.

In doing this, there is an oportunity to, identify as obsolete (but not
actually delete) a few extra bits..  The following come to mind:

- non event loop platforms
- DWARF (a.k.a., DWARF 1)

People with systems that rely on said features can always download the
GDB 5 series debuggers.

With regard to annotations, someone [me] still still has the
documentation and testsuite to update (....).  That, I think is the only
``must have'' thing for the next GDB release.  Other things such as NPTL
et.al. are obvious nice to have (and probably will because more people
are motivated to get them in :-).

Andrew

(1) Just ignore the cleanup that will eventually follow, oh and that one
of the SPARC and HP/PA variants still need some work.