public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-28 22:11 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-05-28 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, jbuck; +Cc: binutils, dj, gcc, gdb, mrs, neroden

I have not seen any substantive argument for using other than the GPL here.
That's what would be useful.

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-28 22:23 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-05-28 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Dewar; +Cc: ac131313, binutils, dj, gcc, gdb, mrs, neroden

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 06:11:27PM -0400, Robert Dewar wrote:
> I have not seen any substantive argument for using other than the GPL here.
> That's what would be useful.

The only reason for using something other than the GPL is if a function
turns out to be needed in a language support library as well.  Otherwise
it suffices if the license is GPL or GPL-compatible.

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-30 18:59   ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2003-05-30 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: obrien; +Cc: neroden, gcc, gdb, binutils

> >   strcasecmp.c
> >   strncasecmp.c
>
> I can pull updated versions of these out of the BSD SCCS repo that has
> more explicit copyrights.

Could you post a patch?  Just in case something else changed, too.

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-30 17:27 ` David O'Brien
From: David O'Brien @ 2003-05-30 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: gcc, gdb, binutils

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-28 22:23 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2003-05-28 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dewar, jbuck; +Cc: ac131313, binutils, dj, gcc, gdb, mrs, neroden

> The only reason for using something other than the GPL is if a function
> turns out to be needed in a language support library as well.  Otherwise
> it suffices if the license is GPL or GPL-compatible.

Well of course I understand the abstract principle here, the issue is how
does it apply in this case.

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-28 22:08         ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2003-05-28 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: DJ Delorie, mrs, neroden, gcc, gdb, binutils

On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 03:27:10PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> It is always easier to weaken a license.  I think it is easierr to start
> with something safe.

Unless you have to ask RMS to weaken the license; he sometimes thinks about
it for months.  Better to get the license right the first time.

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-28 19:27       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-28 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: mrs, neroden, gcc, gdb, binutils

>> > * No license, FSF copyright
>> >   vfprintf.c
>> >
>> > This was written by us for us.  I think it should be GPL with exception.
>

>> GPL.
>

> We've already had a few cases where we've had to convert GPL to GPL
> with exception.  It might be prudent of us to, if we're fiddling with
> copyrights anyway, to start with GPL+e this time.  Especially with the
> trivial functions, where there is little to be gained by enforcing the
> GPL and a lot to be gained by making it easy for people to justify
> using GNU software.

It is always easier to weaken a license.  I think it is easierr to start
with something safe.

Andrew

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-24  1:34     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2003-05-24  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313; +Cc: mrs, neroden, gcc, gdb, binutils

@ 2003-05-24  1:23   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-05-24  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: Nathanael Nerode, gcc, gdb, binutils

@ 2003-05-23 23:59 ` Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2003-05-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: gcc, gdb, binutils

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 03:59 PM, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Looking at libiberty, it seems to be under a mass of different
> licences.

Yup.

> There are several problems here.  The first are the
> (non-autogenerated) files
> with no explicit copyright notice or licence.  I would assume that
> they were
> under the terms of the "rest of libiberty", except that it's not clear
> what that is.

Someone would need to go back to the Cygnus devo tree and find out who
and when they were checked in originally, and what files around that
time the person was checking in and what status those files had.  Steve
checked in some of the files, and wrote some, quite a bit of those were
PD.  He also lifted some from BSD land.

In general, we should split the source internally into two, those that
are BSD/PD/GPL with libgcc exception, and another directory with
LGPL/GPL code.  I think that we should have two libraries, one for each
of these directory hierarchies.

Clarifying the result of this research into explicit terms in the files
I think would be good.

Clarifying that the files are part of libiberty I think would be good.

> * No license, University of California copyright
>   xatexit.c

I think this is supposed to be under a BSD style copyright.

> * No license, FSF copyright
>   vfprintf.c

This was written by us for us.  I think it should be GPL with exception.

Another way to clean it up, would be to check FreeBSD/NetBSD for
corresponding versions of the routines, and replace the one in
libiberty.

* Re: Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-23 23:06 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2003-05-23 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: neroden; +Cc: gcc, gdb, binutils

> Looking at libiberty, it seems to be under a mass of different
> licences.

Yup.  It will probably stay that way, too, because changing copyright
terms is *very* difficult.

> The fourth are the various files which aren't sure what they're part
> of; I'd like permission to just fix those all to claim to be part of
> libiberty, unless there's some reason not to.

The reason is, only the original author can change the copyright terms.

> The fifth is the question of why some are LGPL, some are GPL, some
> are GPL with linking exception, and one is LGPL with linking
> exception.  Effectively the library as a whole is under GPL in
> general, it would seem; what purpose do the other licenses serve?

Some have the exception because they're used in libstdc++, for
example.  There is no "library as a whole" as far as libiberty is
concerned; each source file has its own license, and that's pretty
much the end of the story, since there's little we can do about it.

* Libiberty license roundup (questions/potential problems)
@ 2003-05-23 22:59 Nathanael Nerode
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2003-05-23 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, gdb, binutils

Looking at libiberty, it seems to be under a mass of different licences.

There are several problems here.  The first are the (non-autogenerated) files
with no explicit copyright notice or licence.  I would assume that they were
under the terms of the "rest of libiberty", except that it's not clear
what that is.

The second are the two files with copyright and no license listed.

The third are the BSD files with no explicit modification permission.

The fourth are the various files which aren't sure what they're part of; I'd
like permission to just fix those all to claim to be part of libiberty, unless
there's some reason not to.

The fifth is the question of why some are LGPL, some are GPL, some are GPL
with linking exception, and one is LGPL with linking exception.  Effectively
the library as a whole is under GPL in general, it would seem; what purpose
do the other licenses serve?

* Verbatim only
  COPYING.LIB (copy of LGPL 2.1)
  copying-lib.texi (copy of LGPL 2.1)

* GNU FDL 1.2 or later (with TeX permission)
  libiberty.texi

* No license or copyright on individual file
  ChangeLog
  README
  aclocal.m4
  bcopy.c
  config.in (autogenerated)
  config.table
  configure.in
  copysign.c
  ffs.c
  fnmatch.txh
  functions.texi (autogenerated)
  getpagesize.c
  getpwd.c
  makefile.vms
  memchr.c
  mpw-make.sed (probably obsolete?)
  obstacks.texi
  pexecute.txh
  strdup.c
  tmpnam.c
  vmsbuild.com
  vprintf.c
  waitpid.c

* No license, FSF copyright
  vfprintf.c

* No license, University of California copyright
  xatexit.c

* LGPL 2 or later
  (as part of "libiberty library")
  Makefile.in
  argv.c
  asprintf.c
  choose-temp.c
  concat.c
  fdmatch.c
  gather-docs
  getruntime.c
  hashtab.c
  hex.c
  lbasename.c
  maint-tool
  make-temp-file.c
  mempcpy.c
  mpw.c
  pex-common.h
  pex-djgpp.c
  pex-mpw.c
  pex-msdos.c
  pex-os2.c
  pex-unix.c
  pex-win32.c
  safe-ctype.c
  spaces.c
  stpncpy.c
  vasprintf.c
  xexit.c
  xmalloc.c

  (as part of the "GNU C Library")
  regex.c

  (Boilerplate is for "GNU C Library is free software...", but up top says
  "based on ... in the GNU C Library", not "This file is part of...",
  so a little confused.)
  mkstemps.c
  putenv.c
  setenv.c

* GPL 2 or later
  (as "this program")
  _doprnt.c
  fnmatch.c
  getopt.c
  getopt1.c
  md5.c
  objalloc.c
  obstack.c
  physmem.c
  ternary.c

  (as part of "GNU CC")
  fibheap.c
  partition.c
  sort.c
  splay-tree.c

  (as part of GDB)
  floatformat.c

  (as part of "libiberty library")
  lrealpath.c

  (as part of "libiberty library", but confused.  Says "You should have
  received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with GNU CC"...)
  strtod.c

  (This one's messed up.  It says "This file is part of libiberty.
  GCC is free software...")
  make-relative-prefix.c

* GPL 2 or later, with special linking exception
  (as part of "libiberty library")
  clock.c
  snprintf.c
  vsnprintf.c
  vsprintf.c

  (as part of "GNU CC")
  cp-demangle.c
  dyn-string.c

* LGPL 2 or later, with special linking exception (!)
  (as part of "libiberty library")
  cplus-dem.c

* public domain
  alloca.c