public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-16 23:38 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-07-16 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Just fyi,

In addition to the usual stuff I need to clear the following backlog:

- m32r revival
- annotate 3 commit
- mi 2->3 switch (needed?)

You'll note that none of these are highly technical.

Andrew

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-17 15:42 ` Alain Magloire
From: Alain Magloire @ 2003-07-17 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb

> Just fyi,
>
> In addition to the usual stuff I need to clear the following backlog:
>
> - m32r revival
> - annotate 3 commit
> - mi 2->3 switch (needed?)

Are the changes non-backward compatible ?
Did mi2 ever went out in any official release ?

5.2.1 & 5.3 was -mi 1

Sorry I did not follows the in/out of MI.  Feel free to redirect
to the appropriate README/NEWS.

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
       [not found] <200307171542.LAA13377@smtp.ott.qnx.com>
@ 2003-07-18 22:54 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-07-18 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Magloire; +Cc: gdb

> Are the changes non-backward compatible ?
> Did mi2 ever went out in any official release ?
>
> 5.2.1 & 5.3 was -mi 1
>
> Sorry I did not follows the in/out of MI.  Feel free to redirect
> to the appropriate README/NEWS.
>
> I need to audit exactly what, in MI land, changed.  If there is something lumpy then the following should happen:
>
> cp mi-*.exp mi2-*.exp to `freeze' mi2.
> increment mi2->mi3 in the mainline.
>
> Andrew

Ok, `I remember'.

Post this release, the varobj interfaces will need to be changed so that
it uses frame-id's, and not simple stack addresses, to identify specific
frames.  It will fix some nasty edge cases but at the same time (likely)
break compatibility.  The old way was simply wrong :-/

Andrew

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-18 18:57 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-07-18 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ezannoni; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

Elena Z writes:
> I'd like to add this to the list of gcc's we test. I hope I'll get a
> chance to do this soon. There is a public branch that is called
> tree-ssa-20020619-branch.

Okay, I tossed tree-ssa-20020619-branch into my scripts for the current
spin.

I have 128 megabytes of memory, and I've got a 175 megabyte cc1plus
running.  It's swapping the crap out of my poor IDE disk!

The command is: xgcc libjava/interpreter.cc.  Not that it matters.  It's
been running for 90 minutes.  I expect that it's spending most of its
time banking on the swap partition.

So, anyone who wants to play with the ssa branch, get a machine with 256
megabytes or more of memory (or maybe a 192 megabyte machine and don't
run X or anything else on it).

tree-ssa is going in the "do not care until after gdb 6.0 is release"
category for me.

Michael C

@ 2003-07-18 13:00 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-07-18 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Magloire; +Cc: gdb

@ 2003-07-18  6:41 ` Michal Ludvig
From: Michal Ludvig @ 2003-07-18  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

Michael Elizabeth Chastain told me that:
> Hi Michal,
>
>>Pretty good. Now I have only 34 unexpected failures here.
>
> Would you say that it's in a releasable state then?

Yes it is. Many thanks to MarkK who integrated i386 and amd64 targets!

> You can send me a gdb.log if you want me to scrutinize it.

PLease take the recent logs from: http://tmp.logix.cz/amd/gdb/log/

Michal Ludvig
--
* SuSE CR, s.r.o     * mludvig@suse.cz
* (+420) 296.545.373 * http://www.suse.cz

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-17 16:50 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-07-17 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mludvig; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

Hi Michal,

> Pretty good. Now I have only 34 unexpected failures here.

Would you say that it's in a releasable state then?

You can send me a gdb.log if you want me to scrutinize it.

(Also wondering if this is any use to Andrew, or if I'm just stepping on
his toes).

Michael C

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-17 16:47 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-07-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ezannoni; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

elena> I didn't have a chance to continue on this, sorry.

Mmmm okay ... anyone want to pick up on this?  You need a red hat linux
9 box, about 10 gigabytes of disk space, and a 36 hour script run (on
an 800 MHz Celeron with 128 MB memory, will be less if you have a
faster computer).

elena> I'd like to add this to the list of gcc's we test. I hope I'll get a
elena> chance to do this soon. There is a public branch that is called
elena> tree-ssa-20020619-branch.

I'll throw that on my TODO list.  In a week or so the report will pop
out.

gcc just left stage 1, which is the stage where they can import branches
into HEAD.  They will be in stage 2 for two months (development on HEAD)
followed by stage 3 for two months (bug fixes on HEAD) followed by
cutting gcc-3_4-branch.  Then they go back into stage 1 and SSA can be
imported into HEAD while they prepare gcc 3.4.

That's their road map on paper, anyways.

Michael C

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-17 16:38   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-07-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elena Zannoni; +Cc: Michael Elizabeth Chastain, ac131313, gdb

On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:54:05AM -0400, Elena Zannoni wrote:
> Michael Elizabeth Chastain writes:
>  > On my list:
>  >
>  >   gdb backtrace bugs
>  >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1250
>  >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1253
>  >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1255
>  >
>  >   dejagnu build issue
>  >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/708
>  >
>  >   red hat linux 9
>  >     elena z how is it going?
>  >

> I didn't have a chance to continue on this, sorry.
>
> It occured to me that there is a potential train about to hit us,
> which is the tree-ssa gcc work. Apparently it is going to produce
> really really heavily optimized code, and I am worried abuot how well
> gdb will cope for this.
>
> I'd like to add this to the list of gcc's we test. I hope I'll get a
> chance to do this soon. There is a public branch that is called
> tree-ssa-20020619-branch.

It isn't till 3.5; by then I hope to have... something... anything...
better able to cope than what we have now.  The way my luck's been
going we'll have to wait and see.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-17 15:46 ` Elena Zannoni
From: Elena Zannoni @ 2003-07-17 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

Michael Elizabeth Chastain writes:
 > On my list:
 >
 >   gdb backtrace bugs
 >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1250
 >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1253
 >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/1255
 >
 >   dejagnu build issue
 >     http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/708
 >
 >   red hat linux 9
 >     elena z how is it going?

I didn't have a chance to continue on this, sorry.

It occured to me that there is a potential train about to hit us,
which is the tree-ssa gcc work. Apparently it is going to produce
really really heavily optimized code, and I am worried abuot how well
gdb will cope for this.

I'd like to add this to the list of gcc's we test. I hope I'll get a
chance to do this soon. There is a public branch that is called
tree-ssa-20020619-branch.

elena

 > Off the top of my head, my test bed isn't producing any regressions
 > besides the backtrace bugs.  But I won't swear that it is clean until
 > I get out the microscope though.
 >
 > >From my last "5.3 versus HEAD" report,
 >
 >   MI issues
 >     how is MI these days?
 >
 >   x86-64 regressions
 >     how is it these days?
 >
 >   multi-register variables
 >     fixed!
 >
 >   java regression
 >     fixed!
 >
 >   gcc HEAD -gstabs+
 >     The nastiest pr, gcc/10055, got fixed in gcc.
 >
 >     There are other regressions with gcc HEAD with both dwarf-2 and
 >     stabs+ but this does not stop a gdb release.
 >
 > I will put out a "5.3 versus gdb_6_0-branch" report next week.
 > I've been hoping for some of the backtrace bugs to get fixed first.
 >
 > Michael C

* Re: my 6.0 todo list
@ 2003-07-17 15:37 ` Michal Ludvig
From: Michal Ludvig @ 2003-07-17 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)