public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* FTR: this GDB patch is AdaCore-local (R907-036: do not suppress all symbols in the STRUCT_DOMAIN)
@ 2020-11-01  6:01 Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2020-11-01  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Just recording the fact that the following patch...

    | commit 0bf64e2236bd6a2aacb978e5a7fa0a5b43567665
    | Subject: (Ada) do not suppress all symbols in the STRUCT_DOMAIN
    | Author:  Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
    | Date:    2018-09-25 14:52:01 -0700
    | Subject: (Ada) do not suppress all symbols in the STRUCT_DOMAIN

cannot be contributed upstream, because it touches a function
(ada_suppress_symbol_printing) which is specific to the AdaCore
version of GDB.

This is from memory, but I believe we tried to contribute this function
(combined with its companion function called is_suppressed_name), and
got feedback that we should be doing it differently, relying on DWARF
rather than GNAT encodings to determine whether symbols should be
displayed or not.

I will annotate the commit accordingly.

--
Joel

* Re: FTR: this GDB patch is AdaCore-local (R907-036: do not suppress all symbols in the STRUCT_DOMAIN)
@ 2020-11-01  6:04 ` Joel Brobecker
From: Joel Brobecker @ 2020-11-01  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

And this is, children, the reason why one should never work on weekends :-(.

I apologize for the noise.