* too many 'changed' entries
@ 2003-03-24 10:49 Dirk Schenkewitz
From: Dirk Schenkewitz @ 2003-03-24 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats, Dirk.Schenkewitz

Hi All,

Can someone give me a hint to get rid of this:

Every time a PR is edited (via Gnatsweb) it happens that stuff is noted as
'changed' in the Audit-Trail, although the only "change" was the formatting,
and even there the user did not change anything - all of this happens auto-
matically.

As an example, here is something I found in one audit-trail.
/
| Description-Changed-From-To: In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert,
| verläuft zunächst alles gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante
| erwartet.
| ->In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D
| ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert, verläuft zunächst alles
| gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen
| werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante erwartet.
\

We're using Gnatsweb v3.99.3, Gnats v4.0-beta1 (taken from the GnatsWeb
display) - is this a known bug which can be removed by updating, perhaps ?
Or did I make a configuration mistake ?
Or is it the fault of my favourite browser (Opera 7.0), running on Win-NT 4.0 ?

Happy coding
	dirk
--
Dirk Schenkewitz

InterFace AG                 fon: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 126
Leipziger Str. 16            fax: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 83
D-82008 Unterhaching
http://www.interface-ag.de   mailto:dirk.schenkewitz@interface-ag.de

* Re: too many 'changed' entries
@ 2003-03-27 14:06 ` Dirk Schenkewitz
From: Dirk Schenkewitz @ 2003-03-27 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnats

Dirk Schenkewitz schrieb:

> Hi All,
>
> Can someone give me a hint to get rid of this:
>
> Every time a PR is edited (via Gnatsweb) it happens that stuff is noted as
> 'changed' in the Audit-Trail, although the only "change" was the formatting,
> and even there the user did not change anything - all of this happens auto-
> matically.
>
> As an example, here is something I found in one audit-trail.
> /
> | Description-Changed-From-To: In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert,
> | verläuft zunächst alles gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante
> | erwartet.
> | ->In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D
> | ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert, verläuft zunächst alles
> | gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen
> | werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante erwartet.
> \
>
> We're using Gnatsweb v3.99.3, Gnats v4.0-beta1 (taken from the GnatsWeb
> display) - is this a known bug which can be removed by updating, perhaps ?
> Or did I make a configuration mistake ?
> Or is it the fault of my favourite browser (Opera 7.0), running on Win-NT 4.0 ?

It can't be the browser, other people here have the same problem
and they use IE or Netscape (4.7x to 7.x) or Mozilla.

Has nobody else observed this ?
(Please, people, give me a hint, even if it is something obvious -
right now i'm just out of ideas.)

Can/should I ask somewhere else ? But then, where (or whom) ?

Slowly getting desperate...
	dirk
--
Dirk Schenkewitz

InterFace AG                 fon: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 126
Leipziger Str. 16            fax: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 83
D-82008 Unterhaching
http://www.interface-ag.de   mailto:dirk.schenkewitz@interface-ag.de

* Re: too many 'changed' entries
@ 2003-03-27 18:19   ` Mel Hatzis
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Mel Hatzis @ 2003-03-27 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dirk Schenkewitz; +Cc: help-gnats

On 03/27/2003 06:04 AM, Dirk Schenkewitz submitted:

>Dirk Schenkewitz schrieb:
>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>Can someone give me a hint to get rid of this:
>>
>>Every time a PR is edited (via Gnatsweb) it happens that stuff is noted as
>>'changed' in the Audit-Trail, although the only "change" was the formatting,
>>and even there the user did not change anything - all of this happens auto-
>>matically.
>>
>>As an example, here is something I found in one audit-trail.
>>/
>>| Description-Changed-From-To: In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert,
>>| verläuft zunächst alles gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante
>>| erwartet.
>>| ->In einer Mehrfachauswahl wird auf einen String mit einem '#D
>>| ' abgefragt. Entspricht der Wert, verläuft zunächst alles
>>| gut. Entspricht der Wert nicht und muss er nur überlesen
>>| werden, kommt Fehler: Variable Konstante erwartet.
>>\
>>
>>We're using Gnatsweb v3.99.3, Gnats v4.0-beta1 (taken from the GnatsWeb
>>display) - is this a known bug which can be removed by updating, perhaps ?
>>Or did I make a configuration mistake ?
>>Or is it the fault of my favourite browser (Opera 7.0), running on Win-NT 4.0 ?
>>

>It can't be the browser, other people here have the same problem
>and they use IE or Netscape (4.7x to 7.x) or Mozilla.
>
>Has nobody else observed this ?
>(Please, people, give me a hint, even if it is something obvious -
>right now i'm just out of ideas.)

I noticed this too. In my case, I setup a field as 'required' and
it wasn't working via gnatsweb, because gnatsweb was inserting a
newline (thereby making the field look like it had a value).

I fixed it by changing the 'fix_multiline_val' sub, as follows:

sub fix_multiline_val
{
  my $val = shift;
  $val =~ s/\r\n?/\n/g;
  $val .= "\n" unless $val =~ /\n$/;
  if ($val =~ /^\s*$/)
  {
    # don't allow whitespace values to circumvent 'required' fields
    $val = "";
  }
  $val;
}

This basically prevents whitespace only values from being entered
as the (multiline) field value which I consider to be a good fix.

This should help you in the case where a newly created PR is edited
for the first time - since this is when gnatsweb will add the
newline, thereby changing the field and adding a change log to the
audit trail.

Hope this helps.

--
Mel Hatzis

>Can/should I ask somewhere else ? But then, where (or whom) ?
>
>Slowly getting desperate...
>	dirk

* Re: too many 'changed' entries
@ 2003-03-28 16:57     ` Dirk Schenkewitz
From: Dirk Schenkewitz @ 2003-03-28 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mel Hatzis, help-gnats

Mel Hatzis schrieb:

> On 03/27/2003 06:04 AM, Dirk Schenkewitz submitted:
>
> >Dirk Schenkewitz schrieb:
> >

> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>Can someone give me a hint to get rid of this:
> >>
> >>Every time a PR is edited (via Gnatsweb) it happens that stuff is noted as
> >>'changed' in the Audit-Trail, although the only "change" was the formatting,
> >>and even there the user did not change anything - all of this happens auto-
> >>matically.
> >>
> >>As an example, here is something I found in one audit-trail.
> >>/
> >>\
> >>
> >>We're using Gnatsweb v3.99.3, Gnats v4.0-beta1 (taken from the GnatsWeb
> >>display) - is this a known bug which can be removed by updating, perhaps ?
> >>Or did I make a configuration mistake ?

(browser related stuff deleted)

> >Has nobody else observed this ?
> >(Please, people, give me a hint, even if it is something obvious -
> >right now i'm just out of ideas.)
> >
> I noticed this too. In my case, I setup a field as 'required' and
> it wasn't working via gnatsweb, because gnatsweb was inserting a
> newline (thereby making the field look like it had a value).
>
> I fixed it by changing the 'fix_multiline_val' sub, as follows:
>
> sub fix_multiline_val
> {
>   my $val = shift;
>   $val =~ s/\r\n?/\n/g;
>   $val .= "\n" unless $val =~ /\n$/;
>   if ($val =~ /^\s*$/)
>   {
>     # don't allow whitespace values to circumvent 'required' fields
>     $val = "";
>   }
>   $val;
> }
>
> This basically prevents whitespace only values from being entered
> as the (multiline) field value which I consider to be a good fix.

Absolutely.

> This should help you in the case where a newly created PR is edited
> for the first time - since this is when gnatsweb will add the
> newline, thereby changing the field and adding a change log to the
> audit trail.

Weird observation, perhaps pure chance and completely unrelated, but
- it seems to remove even my problem, which also happens when there
already is something in a field. I have no idea what is going on.

> Hope this helps.

It did, so far! I'm not sure if I can believe that it's gone forever.
But right now it seems to be. (Even if it comes back, now I have an
idea where to tweak things.)
Thanks a lot, I owe you a beer, at least. :-)

Have fun
	dirk
--

@ 2003-04-29 21:05     ` Yngve Svendsen
From: Yngve Svendsen @ 2003-04-29 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mel Hatzis, Dirk Schenkewitz; +Cc: help-gnats

At 10:15 27.03.2003 -0800, Mel Hatzis wrote:
>I noticed this too. In my case, I setup a field as 'required' and
>it wasn't working via gnatsweb, because gnatsweb was inserting a
>newline (thereby making the field look like it had a value).
>
>I fixed it by changing the 'fix_multiline_val' sub, as follows:

(snip)

>This basically prevents whitespace only values from being entered
>as the (multiline) field value which I consider to be a good fix.
>
>This should help you in the case where a newly created PR is edited
>for the first time - since this is when gnatsweb will add the
>newline, thereby changing the field and adding a change log to the
>audit trail.

Nice catch. I have committed the fix. Of course, Gnatsweb's somewhat
reckless sprinkling of newlines should itself be cleaned up, but I dare not
do it for 4.0 after seeing what removing one apparently extraneous newline
did to attachment handling.

- Yngve

* Re: too many 'changed' entries
@ 2003-05-07 17:05     ` Dirk Schenkewitz