* About coordinated efforts on scientific software.
@ 2002-10-21 11:32 Alan Aspuru-Guzik
From: Alan Aspuru-Guzik @ 2002-10-21 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

This e-mail is a reply to Cristoph Siopi's email.

Some points:

There is a relevant coordinated effort by the Department of Energy for
creating a common base for scientific software. I actually went to a
workshop for the ACTS Toolkit:
http://acts.nersc.gov/

Which is a collection of software that is released using the GPL licencse
for most cases, and that is well suited for some of the tasks that people
need.  For example, if one needs parallel Matrix and Vector operations, I
recommend to take a look at PetSc. It looks really good.

I have been using GSL, and doing my vector MPI distribution by hand, just
because I did not know that such tools were in such advanced state, and
that they were actually written in C, etc.

Another very, VERY interesting effort, similar to what the GNOME people
wanted to do using CORBA as a glue for their component architecture,
Bonobo, is the Common Components Architecture:
http://www.cca-forum.org/

During the same workshop, I attended a one day tutorial on it, and it
seems very promising. When it becomes more mature, it would be very
interesting for one of us (maybe me) to CCA-ize the GSL, in such a way
that it can be used in conjuction with the tools from ACTS, that are
already starting to be CCAized (like TAO, the Toolkit for Advanced
Optimization).

So there are some people that are indeed looking at the big picture. Maybe
what we need in the volunteer arena is leadership and organization like
the one that started umbrella projects, such as GNOME or KDE, that brought
a lot of people together.

Greetings,
Alan

--

Alan Aspuru-Guzik                    Dios mueve al jugador, y éste, la pieza.
(510)642-5911 UC Berkeley           ¿Qué Dios detrás de Dios la trama empieza

* Re: About coordinated efforts on scientific software.
@ 2002-10-22 20:49 Christos Siopis
From: Christos Siopis @ 2002-10-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gsl-discuss

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, JJ Gomez-Cadenas wrote:

> Let me bring an important subject to the discussion, that of
> wrappers. If GSL is going to be truly the core of free-software
> numerical calculations, wrappers are needed. For HEP it seems
> one would like C++ and python wrappers. I have played for more
> than a year now with a C++ wrapper for GSL and a number of
> non-trivial issues emerge, such as the speed, correct use of
> error handling, minimizing of copying of structures and the
> like, which often end up by suggesting re-implementation rather
> than wrapping (at least for some parts of the library). It would
> be nice to understand better and to discuss all those issues.

Interesting issues, indeed! Some of our very own GSL developers have
thought about some of them, see e.g.:

http://t8web.lanl.gov/people/jungman/except.pdf

My little personal experience with this is that there is a dichotomy
between "big project" folks and "Joe Numeric" folks.

If you talk to people involved with the development and maintenance of big
codes, they will probably propose some elegant top-bottom design, which
usually requires an object-oriented programming methodology to implement
and, increasingly, component programming. These folks will also often
insist that any code bigger than a hundred lines needs to follow a similar
path :) and that "a project rarely starts with the intention to become
big" but in the end, it does, so better plan early on.

If you talk to Joe Numeric, he'll wonder why you need anything else but
Fortran, he'll tell you how annoyed he is by NAG's requirement to return
error numbers, and will reprogram a new single-variable equation solver
each time he needs one because he hates black boxes :)

Seriously though, i wonder if your experience with C++ wrapping ultimately
means that we are doomed to reprogram our libraries every time we move
from one language family to another (at least if we want to do a good
job)...

Christos