public inbox for insight@sourceware.org
* Compilation of 5.3 on Cygwin under Win2000
@ 2002-12-15  1:07 blakjak
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: blakjak @ 2002-12-15  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I have faced many problems trying to compile the latest Insight GDB
under Cygwin on the Win2K platform.

I found workarounds for some but I am now stuck and seeking advise.

Here are the problems I found and solved:

1) tk/win/rc

   File cursor5e.cur is corrupt in the CVS update. I found it somewhere
   else on the web and updated my source.

2) itcl/itk/win/rc

   Files cursor3a.cur, cursor54.cur, cursor56.cur, cursor5e.cur and
   cursor76.cur are corrupt in the CVS update. I copied them over from
   my tk/win/rc directory.

3) expect/pty_termios.c

   Produces errors on compile. For my PC configuration lines 135 and
   174 were both accessed resulting in a duplicate declaration of the
   variable 'slave_name'. (Solved by commenting out one of the
   declarations.)

   The second error encountered was that 'slave_name' is always declared
   as a static char* and it therefore cannot be assigned to another
   address. This causes a problem in line 377 :

   if ((slave_name = (char *)ptsname(master)) == NULL || unlockpt(master)) {

   always throws up a compile error saying incompatible types in assignment.

   This can be fixed by removing the static keyword in the declaration of
   slave_name.

Finally the problem I cannot solve:

4) gdb/c-exp.y

   When encountering the line in the makefile:

   /bin/sh ../../src-5.2.1/gdb/../ylwrap "bison -y"
../../src-5.2.1/gdb/c-exp.y  y.tab.c c-exp.tmp --

   I get the following error:

   conflicts:  14 shift/reduce, 20 reduce/reduce

/cygdrive/c/sdk/insight/output/gdb/../../src-5.2.1/gdb/c-exp.y:846.2-847.49:
war
   ning: rule never reduced because of conflicts: typebase: SIGNED_KEYWORD
LONG LONG
   make: *** [c-exp.tab.c] Error 1

Any help or direction you could offer me would be appreciated.

Regards,
BlakJak :]

* Insight 5.3 runtime error
@ 2002-12-15  6:54 ` blakjak
       [not found] ` <redirect-4820052@silicondust.com>
From: blakjak @ 2002-12-15  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Running Insight 5.3 on Windows 2000 platform. Compiled using
Cygwin with previous versions of ITCL, TCL, TK, LIBGUI/SRC as
recommended by Insight web page.

Receive runtime error when cursor is moved over to left of
screen where line numbers appear in source or assembly code.

Error message is:

Error: bad cursor spec "dot"

Is this a bug?

BlakJak :]

* RE: Insight 5.3 runtime error
@ 2002-12-15  6:55   ` blakjak
From: blakjak @ 2002-12-15  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

I should have added the stack trace:

bad cursor spec "dot"
    (processing "-cursor" option)
    invoked from within
".srcwin0.srcwin.container.pane2.childsite.con.p.pane1.childsite.st.lf.child
site.clipper.text config -cursor dot"
    (command bound to event)errorCode is NONE

Running Insight 5.3 on Windows 2000 platform. Compiled using
Cygwin with previous versions of ITCL, TCL, TK, LIBGUI/SRC as
recommended by Insight web page.

Receive runtime error when cursor is moved over to left of
screen where line numbers appear in source or assembly code.

Error message is:

Error: bad cursor spec "dot"

Is this a bug?

BlakJak :]

* Re: Compilation of 5.3 on cygwin under Win2000
@ 2002-12-15 10:31 ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found] ` <redirect-4820052@silicondust.com>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-15 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blakjak; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 05:04:15PM +0800, blakjak wrote:
>I have faced many problems trying to compile the latest Insight GDB
>under Cygwin on the Win2K platform.

The last I heard, there were still serious problems with insight and
cygwin.  So, even if you get it built, you'll have other problems.

This is why there isn't a newer version of insight in the cygwin net
release.

cgf

@ 2002-12-15 10:54   ` Jafa
       [not found]     ` <redirect-4820057@silicondust.com>
From: Jafa @ 2002-12-15 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

I am running the trunk GDB under Cygwin (including trunk tcl/tk) and I have
found it to work equally as well as the old versions.

Thats not to say it won't kill itself, only that it won't do it very often
and I have found insight under Cygwin from 2 years ago to do so as well.

One of the problems is that when gdb kills itself, insight won't display the
error message. Unless you look at the stack dump you can't tell the
difference between insight killing itself due to its own problems and gdb
having an error which should be reported and fixed.

Nick

@ 2002-12-15 10:59     ` Christopher Faylor
       [not found]     ` <redirect-4820057@silicondust.com>
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-15 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jafa; +Cc: insight

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 10:53:14AM -0800, Jafa wrote:
>I am running the trunk GDB under Cygwin (including trunk tcl/tk) and I
>have found it to work equally as well as the old versions.

The problem with insight has been documented here on numerous occasions.

cgf

@ 2002-12-15 11:07       ` Jafa
From: Jafa @ 2002-12-15 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Hi,

Right, insight has problems under Cygwin, esp with the new tcl/tk as far as
I have read.

I don't seam to be having many problems in my normal use, so my
recommendation is just to compile it as is and try your luck.

Nick

@ 2002-12-16  3:34   ` blakjak
From: blakjak @ 2002-12-16  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I also have REDHAT LINUX installed on another
harddisk in this box. Can I configure/compile the code on that system
to use in my Win2K environment?

i.e.

../src/configure --target=i686-pc-cygwin
make

or will the problems surface with that as well?

@ 2002-12-16  8:55     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-12-16  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blakjak; +Cc: insight

On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 07:30:59PM +0800, blakjak wrote:
>Thanks for your reply.  I also have REDHAT LINUX installed on another
>harddisk in this box.  Can I configure/compile the code on that system
>to use in my Win2K environment?
>
>i.e.
>
>../src/configure --target=i686-pc-cygwin make
>
>or will the problems surface with that as well?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  The problems that I was referring to
are due to something going wrong in the bowels of tcl code.  They have
nothing to do with what host on which you are building gdb/insight.

In any event, I just released a new version of gdb/insight for cygwin
yesterday.  It includes the somewhat buggy version of insight but since
it had been so long since the last release of gdb I thought it was time
to release something even if it can crash in certain situations.

cgf

* RE: Compilation of 5.3 on cygwin under Win2000
@ 2002-12-19  6:41       ` blakjak
From: blakjak @ 2002-12-19  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: insight

Christopher,

Just took the latest version from Cygwin. Thanks for the update.

Do you believe that the problems with the latest versions of TCL
and TK will be resolved sometime?

Is it possible to add a comment to the Web pages to say which is
the latest version of Insight that is not broken for Windows?

Regards,

@ 2002-12-19  8:03         ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-12-19  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blakjak; +Cc: insight

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, blakjak wrote:

> Do you believe that the problems with the latest versions of TCL
> and TK will be resolved sometime?

No one has stepped up to the plate to look at this. Well, actually several
have, but no one has ever been heard from again.. If cygwin users have no
interest in helping to fix the problems, then neither do I. I do not use
cygwin much any more. Maybe that will change and I will pursue the
problem, but for now, I have very little motivation to do anything about
it.

> Is it possible to add a comment to the Web pages to say which is
> the latest version of Insight that is not broken for Windows?

You can use any version of insight. It's the version of Tcl, Tk, Itcl, etc
that is "broken". There is a web page on the insight home page that talks
about this already, and explains how to use newer versions of Insight with
older versions of tcl et al.

Keith

* RE: Compilation of 5.3 on cygwin under Win2000
@ 2002-12-19  8:25           ` blakjak
From: blakjak @ 2002-12-19  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keith Seitz; +Cc: insight

Keith,

Again thanks. I faced problems compiling under those instructions.
BISON didn't work. I think the help I got here would resolve those
issues though.

I am pretty new to this game of compiling my own stuff straight of the
web so I rely heavily on what I read. It seems that most of it is
developed/tested under UNIX/UNIX equivalents. I understand this and use
Redhat LINUX myself but as most of my clients work in a MS environment
(at least the users) then I am forced to develop in that arena.

Now that I have a working version of TK/TCL/ITCL/BISON can I compile
the latest source of Insight without invoking the new versions of
TCL/TK/ITCL/BISON/etc.? Obviously I cannot use the main ./configure
followed by make. What I would like to do is force make to use the
already compiled versions of TCL/etc. Is this possible without making
major edits to the large make file created by configure?

I have really appreciated your advice with this. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
BlakJak :]

P.S. I am fairly competent at Win API programming but I am not sure
how this relates to TK/TCL never used it before. I was always
interested in developing a full C/C++ GUI for GDB. It seems it would
be a lot easier if the libGDB was up and running. Are you aware of
the state of that?

@ 2002-12-19  8:51             ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2002-12-19  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blakjak; +Cc: insight

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, blakjak wrote:

> Now that I have a working version of TK/TCL/ITCL/BISON can I compile
> the latest source of Insight without invoking the new versions of
> TCL/TK/ITCL/BISON/etc.? Obviously I cannot use the main ./configure
> followed by make. What I would like to do is force make to use the
> already compiled versions of TCL/etc. Is this possible without making
> major edits to the large make file created by configure?

That's something that I've been meaning to look at, but have never gotten
around to it. I heard from Martin one day that he was going to look at it,
but I haven't heard anything absolute from him. Actually, I don't think it
would really be that difficult.

> P.S. I am fairly competent at Win API programming but I am not sure
> how this relates to TK/TCL never used it before. I was always
> interested in developing a full C/C++ GUI for GDB. It seems it would
> be a lot easier if the libGDB was up and running. Are you aware of
> the state of that?

libGDB is probably never going to happen unless a project starts which
explicitly requires libgdb AND is willing to put up with the pain of
developing it.

I have been considering lately the idea of rewriting Insight entirely in
C++/gtk, but, alas, I am still considering whether I want to do that or
just start/join some other project. Heaven knows that all this work on
Insight has done nothing for me. (Ok, I lost my hair a lot faster.)

Keith

* Re: Compilation of 5.3 on Cygwin under Win2000
       [not found] <redirect-4820036@silicondust.com>
@ 2002-12-15  9:28 ` Nick Kelsey
From: Nick Kelsey @ 2002-12-15  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: blakjak; +Cc: insight

Hi,

#4 - The Cygwin install uses a newer version of Bison that doesn't seam to
like gcc or gdb much. Run the cygwin install again and under Devel, Bison,
choose version 1.35-1.

I havn't looked in to the root cause at all though.

Nick

{