public inbox for java@gcc.gnu.org
* Is GCJ still active?
@ 2012-02-05 18:34 孙波翔
From: 孙波翔 @ 2012-02-05 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

Hi there!
Thank you to read the email.

I am doing a project(open source) and need to complie some java
*.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
without jre.

I found there only have to tools can do it: Jet and GCJ.

Jet is not under GPL license. And the latest release of GCJ was on Sep
22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in future?
Or could you suggest some other tools can do it?

Thanks again!
Waiting for your reply.
Sun

* Re: Is GCJ still active?
@ 2012-02-06 18:18 ` Andrew Haley
       [not found]   ` <CABDGE0Us+oVvzVEuuEABqnw+heAwbEzLhWeUdK6g-2LVAHAMHQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-02-06 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

On 02/05/2012 06:33 PM, 孙波翔 wrote:

> I am doing a project(open source) and need to complie some java
> *.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
> without jre.
>
> I found there only have to tools can do it: Jet and GCJ.
>
> Jet is not under GPL license. And the latest release of GCJ was on Sep
> 22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
> features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in future?

gcj ahas been released several times since then.  There is a little
development still going on, but at present there are no plans to do
a release that supports Java 1.7 features.

Andrew.

* Is GCJ still active?
       [not found]   ` <CABDGE0Us+oVvzVEuuEABqnw+heAwbEzLhWeUdK6g-2LVAHAMHQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-02-06 18:41     ` Harpal Grover
From: Harpal Grover @ 2012-02-06 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/05/2012 06:33 PM, 孙波翔 wrote:
>
> > I am doing a project(open source) and need to complie some java
> > *.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
> > without jre.
> >
> > I found there only have to tools can do it: Jet and GCJ.
> >
> > Jet is not under GPL license. And the latest release of GCJ was on Sep
> > 22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
> > features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in future?
>
> gcj ahas been released several times since then.  There is a little
> development still going on, but at present there are no plans to do
> a release that supports Java 1.7 features.
>
> Andrew.

So naturally, the next question then would be:

Will there be any capabilities to compile java applications to native
binaries using the OpenJDK? If not, who should we contact to convey
the ever so popular and growing interest in being able to do this for
Linux, OS X and Windows?
--
Harpal Grover
President

* Re: Is GCJ still active?
@ 2012-02-06 18:49       ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2012-02-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

On 02/06/2012 06:41 PM, Harpal Grover wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/05/2012 06:33 PM, 孙波翔 wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing a project(open source) and need to complie some java
>>> *.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
>>> without jre.
>>>
>>> I found there only have to tools can do it: Jet and GCJ.
>>>
>>> Jet is not under GPL license. And the latest release of GCJ was on Sep
>>> 22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
>>> features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in future?
>>
>> gcj ahas been released several times since then.  There is a little
>> development still going on, but at present there are no plans to do
>> a release that supports Java 1.7 features.
>

> So naturally, the next question then would be:
>
> Will there be any capabilities to compile java applications to native
> binaries using the OpenJDK?

Never say never, but I am not aware of any such thing.

> If not, who should we contact to convey the ever so popular and
> growing interest in being able to do this for Linux, OS X and
> Windows?

I'm not sure.  I suppose the key question is how much mone you are
prepared to spend, but that's probably off-topic for this list.  There
are some areas in which a precompiler like gcj is advantageous, but
they are fairly specialized.

Andrew.

* Re: Is GCJ still active?
@ 2012-02-06 18:56       ` Joel Dice
From: Joel Dice @ 2012-02-06 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harpal Grover; +Cc: GCC

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012, Harpal Grover wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 02/05/2012 06:33 PM, 孙波翔 wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing a project(open source) and need to complie some java
>>> *.class files to *.dll and *.so files so that this files can run
>>> without jre.
>>>
>>> I found there only have to tools can do it: Jet and GCJ.
>>>
>>> Jet is not under GPL license. And the latest release of GCJ was on Sep
>>> 22, 2009. I need to compile the java files and support JDK 1.7
>>> features. So does GCJ still active and may support JDK 1.7 in future?
>>
>> gcj ahas been released several times since then.  There is a little
>> development still going on, but at present there are no plans to do
>> a release that supports Java 1.7 features.
>>
>> Andrew.
>

> So naturally, the next question then would be:
>
> Will there be any capabilities to compile java applications to native
> binaries using the OpenJDK? If not, who should we contact to convey
> the ever so popular and growing interest in being able to do this for
> Linux, OS X and Windows?

Avian[1] will do this well enough to run e.g. Eclipse, Tomcat, Jython,
etc., but I haven't tested any Swing/AWT apps yet.  OpenJDK 6 is
supported, and I've just started on a OpenJDK 7 port.

  * [1] http://oss.readytalk.com/avian/

* Re: Is GCJ still active?
@ 2012-02-07 20:36         ` lucianomanzo
From: lucianomanzo @ 2012-02-07 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: java

Hi Joel,

Congratulations for this excellent project!!

If I understend, it's possible to compile java code to binary code?

A SWT application runs with avian?

Thank you

@ 2012-02-07 20:57           ` Joel Dice
From: Joel Dice @ 2012-02-07 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)