public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Threads and the getResult method
@ 2017-03-19  0:01 Sudarshan S Chawathe
From: Sudarshan S Chawathe @ 2017-03-19  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

I was trying to use threads as outlined in Section 8.6 ("Threads") of
the manual and was unable to call the getResult method as suggested
there until I added a 'public' modifier to that method's definition in
gnu/mapping/RunnableClosure.java.

I submitted a GitLab pull request, even though this change is trivial,
mainly to exercise that functionality.  It may be preferable to ignore
it and just make the change directly (assuming it is valid).

Regards,

-chaw

* Re: Threads and the getResult method
@ 2017-03-19  6:20 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2017-03-19  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sudarshan S Chawathe, kawa

On 03/18/2017 05:01 PM, Sudarshan S Chawathe wrote:
> I was trying to use threads as outlined in Section 8.6 ("Threads") of
> the manual and was unable to call the getResult method as suggested
> there until I added a 'public' modifier to that method's definition in
> gnu/mapping/RunnableClosure.java.

Oops.  There seems to have been a lack of testing ...

> I submitted a GitLab pull request, even though this change is trivial,
> mainly to exercise that functionality.  It may be preferable to ignore
> it and just make the change directly (assuming it is valid).

Generally, I'm as comfortable (or more so) with patches, since I'm more
familiar with that workflow, especially when I'm the one submitting changes :-)
In this case, since you create a pull request, I'm happy to do it that way
- though a ChangeLog entry would be appreciated.

(I failed to set up Notification properly from GitLab, so I haven't been
getting timely notification of issue and pull question.  Sorry about that.
Hope it's working now.  It's a learning experience ...)
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: Threads and the getResult method
@ 2017-03-19 14:25   ` Sudarshan S Chawathe
From: Sudarshan S Chawathe @ 2017-03-19 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: kawa

> From: Per Bothner <per@bothner.com>
> Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 23:19:13 -0700

> Generally, I'm as comfortable (or more so) with patches, since I'm
> more familiar with that workflow, especially when I'm the one
> submitting changes :-) In this case, since you create a pull request,
> I'm happy to do it that way - though a ChangeLog entry would be
> appreciated.

I just added a ChangeLog entry to the GitLab repo and it seems to have
made its way to the merge request.

I'll send any future (new) modifications as patches as you suggest.

Regards,

-chaw