public inbox for kawa@sourceware.org
* Re: RE : Re: What is the Development Environment of Choice for Kawa?
       [not found] <3go6arm3yvsi6iuungnfyd1o.1455824305674@email.android.com>
@ 2016-02-18 21:18 ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2016-02-18 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafik Naccache (TNTeam Rocks!), kawa

On 02/18/2016 11:38 AM, Rafik Naccache  (TNTeam Rocks!) wrote:
> Actually I managed to use swank/sLime with Kawa. But half of its functionality is broken.

I'm afraid Swank/Slime with Kawa isn't actively maintained.
Helmut Eller wrote/maintained it, but he is no longer involved.
I don't know the details - it maybe that the Swank model isn't
a great match for Kawa's more static binding mode - or for the JVM.

OTOH if you have experience with and were productive with Swank/Clojure,
perhaps we can get Swank/Kawa working, possibly by studying how Clojure does things.

> I am an emacs guy so this probably helps me, especially as I use smartparens  (a new paredit) ans rainbow delimiters.
>
> Maybe I shall write a Kawa.el mode on emacs  Like cider fir clojure, in which case I 'll need some hints on how completion works, etc...
>
> @ Per, When do you plan to release the code hot loading fixes in SVN?

I don't have anything usable at this point, and I'm back-logged on other
projects (DomTerm; Kawa arrays; Kawa new invocation model with patterns; more)
that I don't know when I'll be able to spend time on it.  It's moderately
high priority, but so is finishing up various half-finished projects!

Until then, you can try the --no-inline flag, and be prepared to re-load
everything after changes.  One of the big advantages of Kawa that its
fast compiler and loading makes re-starting ok.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: What is the Development Environment of Choice for Kawa?
@ 2016-02-18 21:22   ` mikel evins
From: mikel evins @ 2016-02-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner; +Cc: mikel evins, Rafik Naccache (TNTeam Rocks!), kawa

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 3:18 PM, Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> wrote:
>
> Until then, you can try the --no-inline flag, and be prepared to re-load
> everything after changes.  One of the big advantages of Kawa that its
> fast compiler and loading makes re-starting ok.

Depends on what you mean by “ok.” It’s virtually instant, so if the time it takes is the main consideration, it’s better than “ok”.

* Re: RE : Re: What is the Development Environment of Choice for Kawa?
@ 2016-02-18 22:24   ` Rafik
From: Rafik @ 2016-02-18 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Bothner, kawa

Actually, scheme's kinda most accomplished tooling on emacs is Geiser :
http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/

I shall maybe hack on it drawing inspiration from what has been
implemented for guile, chicken and racket...

Le 18/02/2016 21:18, Per Bothner a écrit :

> On 02/18/2016 11:38 AM, Rafik Naccache  (TNTeam Rocks!) wrote:
>> Actually I managed to use swank/sLime with Kawa. But half of its
>> functionality is broken.
>
> I'm afraid Swank/Slime with Kawa isn't actively maintained.
> Helmut Eller wrote/maintained it, but he is no longer involved.
> I don't know the details - it maybe that the Swank model isn't
> a great match for Kawa's more static binding mode - or for the JVM.
>
> OTOH if you have experience with and were productive with Swank/Clojure,
> perhaps we can get Swank/Kawa working, possibly by studying how
> Clojure does things.
>
>> I am an emacs guy so this probably helps me, especially as I use
>> smartparens  (a new paredit) ans rainbow delimiters.
>>
>> Maybe I shall write a Kawa.el mode on emacs  Like cider fir clojure,
>> in which case I 'll need some hints on how completion works, etc...
>>
>> @ Per, When do you plan to release the code hot loading fixes in SVN?
>
> I don't have anything usable at this point, and I'm back-logged on other
> projects (DomTerm; Kawa arrays; Kawa new invocation model with
> patterns; more)
> that I don't know when I'll be able to spend time on it.  It's moderately
> high priority, but so is finishing up various half-finished projects!
>
> Until then, you can try the --no-inline flag, and be prepared to re-load
> everything after changes.  One of the big advantages of Kawa that its
> fast compiler and loading makes re-starting ok.

--
TNTeam rocks!
Rafik Naccache - BDFL

* Re: RE : Re: What is the Development Environment of Choice for Kawa?
@ 2016-02-18 22:38     ` Per Bothner
From: Per Bothner @ 2016-02-18 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafik

On 02/18/2016 02:24 PM, Rafik Naccache [TNTeam] wrote:
> Actually, scheme's kinda most accomplished tooling on emacs is Geiser : http://www.nongnu.org/geiser/

The following is promising:

     "In particular, Geiser expects [a REPL] to support namespaces in the form of a module system, and to provide
      a well-defined way to establish the REPL’s current namespace (or module), as well as the current file’s module (or namespace)."

It's good that Geiser is namespace/module-friendly.

There is a feature-request:
https://github.com/jaor/geiser/issues/55

A comment states:

   Very loosely, this won't work as expected, apparently:

     (eval '(...) my-module-environment)

Not sure what that refers to.  Kawa (as of 2.0) does support environment-specifiers
to the eval procedure, but perhaps not quite in the way Geiser wants.

> I shall maybe hack on it drawing inspiration from what has been implemented for guile, chicken and racket...

That would be great.
--
	--Per Bothner

* Re: RE : Re: What is the Development Environment of Choice for Kawa?
@ 2016-02-19  0:09       ` Alex Shinn
From: Alex Shinn @ 2016-02-19  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kawa

You can also try scheme-complete for intelligent tab-completion:

https://github.com/ashinn/scheme-complete

--
Alex