* Status and plans for glibc 2.37 release on February 1st 2023
@ 2022-12-31 18:11 Carlos O'Donell
From: Carlos O'Donell @ 2022-12-31 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha

Community,

I am volunteering as the release manager for glibc 2.37.

Starting with glibc 2.38 I would like to offer my time to mentor
someone who would like to be a release manager for 2.38 (releasing
August 1st 2023). I will make this offer again after the 2.37
release.

Looking at the calendar the plan looks like this:

- Monday patch review switches to reviewing critical bug list and
  ABI issues.
 - Restarts January 9th.

- January 2-6 is slushy ABI freeze.
 - No new ABI additions.
 - ABI corrections should be reviewed, RM approval not required.
  - Status of _r_debug COPY relocations is something we should look at.
    https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13978
 - Liberal bug fixes.
  - Status of pthread cond missed wakup is critical for this release.
    - I will be making specific time to review the current status.
      https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13224
      https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=12876

- January 9-31st is hard ABI freeze.
 - Bug fixing.
 - No ABI changes without RM discussion.
 - Higher risk bug fixes should be discussed with community.

- February 1st
 - glibc 2.37 release.

Please raise any concerns you have with this plan.

--
Cheers,
Carlos.

* Re: Status and plans for glibc 2.37 release on February 1st 2023
@ 2023-01-03 14:28 ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2023-01-03 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos O'Donell, libc-alpha

On 2022-12-31 13:11, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
> Looking at the calendar the plan looks like this:
>
> - Monday patch review switches to reviewing critical bug list and
>    ABI issues.
>   - Restarts January 9th.
>
> - January 2-6 is slushy ABI freeze.
>   - No new ABI additions.
>   - ABI corrections should be reviewed, RM approval not required.
>    - Status of _r_debug COPY relocations is something we should look at.
>      https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13978
>   - Liberal bug fixes.
>    - Status of pthread cond missed wakup is critical for this release.
>      - I will be making specific time to review the current status.
>        https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13224
>        https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=12876
>
> - January 9-31st is hard ABI freeze.
>   - Bug fixing.
>   - No ABI changes without RM discussion.
>   - Higher risk bug fixes should be discussed with community.
>
> - February 1st
>   - glibc 2.37 release.

I'd like to have the _FORTIFY_SOURCE documentation[1] included in 2.37.
I've added it as a blocker in the Release wiki page[2].

Thanks,
Sid

[1]
https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/patch/20221222160403.4151387-1-siddhesh@sourceware.org/
[2] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.37#Release_blockers.3F

* Re: Status and plans for glibc 2.37 release on February 1st 2023
@ 2023-01-03 15:23 ` Adhemerval Zanella Netto
From: Adhemerval Zanella Netto @ 2023-01-03 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-alpha, Carlos O'Donell

On 31/12/22 15:11, Carlos O'Donell via Libc-alpha wrote:
> Community,
>
> I am volunteering as the release manager for glibc 2.37.
>
> Starting with glibc 2.38 I would like to offer my time to mentor
> someone who would like to be a release manager for 2.38 (releasing
> August 1st 2023). I will make this offer again after the 2.37
> release.
>
> Looking at the calendar the plan looks like this:
>
> - Monday patch review switches to reviewing critical bug list and
>   ABI issues.
>  - Restarts January 9th.
>
> - January 2-6 is slushy ABI freeze.
>  - No new ABI additions.
>  - ABI corrections should be reviewed, RM approval not required.
>   - Status of _r_debug COPY relocations is something we should look at.
>     https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13978
>  - Liberal bug fixes.
>   - Status of pthread cond missed wakup is critical for this release.
>     - I will be making specific time to review the current status.
>       https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13224
>       https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=12876
>
> - January 9-31st is hard ABI freeze.
>  - Bug fixing.
>  - No ABI changes without RM discussion.
>  - Higher risk bug fixes should be discussed with community.
>
> - February 1st
>  - glibc 2.37 release.
>
> Please raise any concerns you have with this plan.

I have added three fixes I would like for 2.37:

  * Fix remaining -Os/-O1 compile issues [BZ #19444] [1]: this is a long
    standing that triggers compiler warnings not enabled on all optimization
    levels.  It would be good if we can build glibc with multiple optimization
    options to check for such issues.

  * elf: Fix GL(dl_phdr) and GL(dl_phnum) for static builds [BZ #29864] [2]:
    this issue is preventing the bootstrap on some archs, like alpha.

  * Remove --with-default-link option [3]: this prevents the vtable hardening
    when using --with-default-link=yes (and it also simplifies a bit the
    build setup).

I also added the 'Optimize posix_spawn signal setup with clone3' as desirable
feature.  Both the aarch64 and powerpc64 its are done and it leverages newer
kernel features to speed up posix_spawn.

[1] https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=15572
[2] https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=15662
[3] https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=15551
[4] https://patchwork.sourceware.org/project/glibc/list/?series=13901

* Re: Status and plans for glibc 2.37 release on February 1st 2023
@ 2023-01-03 18:50   ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2023-01-03 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adhemerval Zanella Netto; +Cc: libc-alpha, Carlos O'Donell

I've put my C2x strtol / scanf changes on the desirable list.  (Copyright
date updates for new files to include 2023 should be assumed for these
patches.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com