* glibc for the MAC M1
@ 2023-10-10 13:53 Richard Bump
From: Richard Bump @ 2023-10-10 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

I receive this error when attempting to configure and install glibc-2.38:
configure: error:

*** The GNU C library is currently unavailable for this platform.

*** If you are interested in seeing glibc on this platform visit

*** the "How to submit a new port" in the wiki:

***   https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/#Development

*** and join the community!

I am not a developer as far as I know, just a user trying to get Jupyterlab to run my NodeJS kernel which it has done for years on my previous MACs.  I do remember installing glibc on my intel MACs to get various programs to run.  I have dabbled in the C language, but I am not a C or C++ developer or programmer, so, although I have reviewed your contents for a port submission, frankly I’m clueless.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Sincerely,

Richard W. Bump

* Re: glibc for the MAC M1
@ 2023-10-10 14:52 ` Adhemerval Zanella Netto
From: Adhemerval Zanella Netto @ 2023-10-10 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Bump, libc-help

On 10/10/23 10:53, Richard Bump via Libc-help wrote:
> I receive this error when attempting to configure and install glibc-2.38:
> configure: error:
>
> *** The GNU C library is currently unavailable for this platform.
>
> *** If you are interested in seeing glibc on this platform visit
>
> *** the "How to submit a new port" in the wiki:
>
> ***   https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/#Development
>
> *** and join the community!
>

> I am not a developer as far as I know, just a user trying to get Jupyterlab to run my NodeJS kernel which it has done for years on my previous MACs.  I do remember installing glibc on my intel MACs to get various programs to run.  I have dabbled in the C language, but I am not a C or C++ developer or programmer, so, although I have reviewed your contents for a port submission, frankly I’m clueless.
>

> Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

The glibc currently only supports Linux and GNU Hurd.  It is highly unlikely
that you have installed glibc on an Intel MACs.  The macOS/darwin has a
complete different libc implementation, so you will need to check if
Jupyterlab has support for it and follow the instructions to install and
run on macOS/darwin.

* Re: glibc for the MAC M1
@ 2023-10-14 14:14 ` Christer Solskogen
From: Christer Solskogen @ 2023-10-14 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: libc-help

On 10/10/2023 3:53 PM, Richard Bump via Libc-help wrote:
> I receive this error when attempting to configure and install glibc-2.38:
> configure: error:
>
> *** The GNU C library is currently unavailable for this platform.
>
> *** If you are interested in seeing glibc on this platform visit
>
> *** the "How to submit a new port" in the wiki:
>
> ***   https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/#Development
>
> *** and join the community!
>

> I am not a developer as far as I know, just a user trying to get Jupyterlab to run my NodeJS kernel which it has done for years on my previous MACs.  I do remember installing glibc on my intel MACs to get various programs to run.  I have dabbled in the C language, but I am not a C or C++ developer or programmer, so, although I have reviewed your contents for a port submission, frankly I’m clueless.

Are you confusing glib and glibc perhaps?

--
chs