public inbox for newlib@sourceware.org
* Re: Newlib build fails
       [not found] <054401d9a62e$7f6da9a0$7e48fce0$@tranaptic.ca>
@ 2023-06-24  5:01 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-06-24  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib; +Cc: Keith Clifford

On 2023-06-23 17:57, Keith Clifford wrote:
> I am building newlib for a MinGW cross compiler tool chain for ARM, M68K,
> and PowerPC. The build fails in all cases and I've included a patch that
> allows me to get the build to work.
> The pertinent details are:
> Newlib version:  4.3.0
> Build system: CYGWIN_NT-10.0-19045 Keith-PC 3.4.6-1.x86_64 2023-02-14 13:23
> UTC x86_64 Cygwin
> Host: MinGW
> Target: arm-eabi, m68k-elf, and powerpc-eabi   (see ${TARGET} below)
> Configure parameters: --target=${TARGET} --prefix=${PREFIX}
> The -print-multi-lib option for the respective built gcc generates output
> for which the end of line is "\r\n" and config-ml.in leaves the '\r' in the
> "flags" variable, in the following patch, confusing subsequent processing.

Mingw is a native Windows hosted compiler using CR-LF EoLs, as is the Git for
Windows you are using, and the patch you generated appears to be double spaced
with a bunch of blank lines.
If you built Cygwin-hosted cross-compilers and target binutils, and used Cygwin
git, you would not have to deal with any CR-LF EoLs.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

@ 2023-06-25 11:52 ` Hans-Bernhard Bröker
From: Hans-Bernhard Bröker @ 2023-06-25 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newlib

Am 24.06.2023 um 01:57 schrieb Keith Clifford:
> Hi,
>
> I am building newlib for a MinGW cross compiler tool chain for ARM, M68K,
> and PowerPC.

But why are you building it as a "canadian cross"?  In other words, why
would you use Cygwin to build this cross compiler, instead of MinGW itself?

* RE: Newlib build fails
@ 2023-06-26 22:00   ` Keith Clifford
From: Keith Clifford @ 2023-06-26 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Hans-Bernhard Bröker', newlib

Hi,
Originally, I did build it under MinGW using MSYS but it was becoming troublesome keeping it all working with the changes to MSYS and MinGW that were going on at the time. MinGW is nowhere nearly as well supported as Cygwin. Cygwin offers a much richer build/development environment. At least in theory, I should be able to run whatever I build in the Cygwin environment. Cygwin is maintained better. Other than one hiccup that had nothing to do with Cygwin, once I got the compilers building under Cygwin, I've had relatively little trouble continuing to build them compared to the difficulties I had had under MinGW.

Regards,
Keith

Keith Clifford
Cell: 250 888-4558