* Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-09-05 21:15 Geoffrey Keating
From: Geoffrey Keating @ 2003-09-05 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Someone at luxik.cdi.cz has a misconfigured spam-filter which is using
a nonfunctional RBL that appears to have gcc.gnu.org listed and they
are sending responses back to people sending mail to the gcc lists.
This might already have been dealt with, but if not, could someone
unsubscribe this person?

(The list was gcc@gcc.gnu.org.  They've helpfully removed the CC that
would have told me which one it was, but fortunately I have a record of
the original mail.)

Begin forwarded message:

--
Geoff Keating <geoffk@apple.com>

* Re: Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-09-05 21:17 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-05 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Keating; +Cc: overseers

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 02:15:28PM -0700, Geoffrey Keating wrote:
>Someone at luxik.cdi.cz has a misconfigured spam-filter which is using
>a nonfunctional RBL that appears to have gcc.gnu.org listed and they
>are sending responses back to people sending mail to the gcc lists.
>This might already have been dealt with, but if not, could someone
>unsubscribe this person?

I blocked subjects with "nospam" in them earlier today and unsubscribed
what I think is the offending party.  I let him know about this in the
off chance that I was wrong.

cgf

* Re: Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-09-07 18:41   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-09-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 05:17:41PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 02:15:28PM -0700, Geoffrey Keating wrote:
> >Someone at luxik.cdi.cz has a misconfigured spam-filter which is using
> >a nonfunctional RBL that appears to have gcc.gnu.org listed and they
> >are sending responses back to people sending mail to the gcc lists.
> >This might already have been dealt with, but if not, could someone
> >unsubscribe this person?
>
> I blocked subjects with "nospam" in them earlier today and unsubscribed
> what I think is the offending party.  I let him know about this in the
> off chance that I was wrong.

I think they've resubscribed.  I've just sent a message to gcc@
and gcc-regression@, and received the same bounce.  Complaining to
postmaster@luxik.cdi.cz bounces with "no such user", which IMNSHO means
they should simply be banned from talking to anything else on the net.

* Re: Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-09-07 21:58     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-09-07 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Edwards; +Cc: overseers

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:41:42PM -0400, Phil Edwards wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 05:17:41PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 02:15:28PM -0700, Geoffrey Keating wrote:
>> >Someone at luxik.cdi.cz has a misconfigured spam-filter which is using
>> >a nonfunctional RBL that appears to have gcc.gnu.org listed and they
>> >are sending responses back to people sending mail to the gcc lists.
>> >This might already have been dealt with, but if not, could someone
>> >unsubscribe this person?
>>
>> I blocked subjects with "nospam" in them earlier today and unsubscribed
>> what I think is the offending party.  I let him know about this in the
>> off chance that I was wrong.
>
>I think they've resubscribed.  I've just sent a message to gcc@
>and gcc-regression@, and received the same bounce.  Complaining to
>postmaster@luxik.cdi.cz bounces with "no such user", which IMNSHO means
>they should simply be banned from talking to anything else on the net.

Hmm.  Sorry.  Maybe I hallucinated unsubscribing them or maybe I only
unsubscribed them from gcc-help or gcc-bugs.  They were still subscribed
to the gcc mailing list.  I didn't seem them on the gcc-regression
mailing list, though.

I've unsubscribed this person from every mailing list on the system and
added them to the global 'deny-subscribe' mailing list.  That's not
fully functional (I'm only testing it in the cygwin mailing list) but
eventually it will block specified addresses from unsubscribing.

cgf

* Re: Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-03-12 19:13   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-03-12 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: angela; +Cc: Mike Stump, overseers

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:35:13AM -0800, Angela Marie Thomas wrote:

>> Curious, the gcc machine is on the spam block lists...  Hum...  The
>> cause seems to be the spam on the cygwin list.  :-(
>
>This is not uncommon.  Note that SpamCop says it should not be used
>in production:
>
>   This  blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used in
>   a  production environment where legitimate email must be delivered. It
>   is  growing  more stable and is used by many large sites now. However,
>   SpamCop  is  aggressive  and often errs on the side of blocking mail ...
>
>There's little we can do if end-users block sourceware based on
>faulty data.

Actually, I had an agreement with spamcop owing to this very user who
can't get it into his thick skull that spam "from cygwin.com" isn't
really originating there.  Probably the IP address change confused things,
though.  I've sent another message asking to be put back on whatever list
we need to be on to avoid this type of thing in the future.

It's a little strange that I didn't see any email to postmaster about
this, though.  Usually they notify the site when they institute a block.

>Perhaps we should unsubscribe list members who forward mailing list
>spam to rbl sites.

I've just done that.

>We do the best we can to block spam, but some of it is just going to
>get through and adding sourceware to the rbl sites doesn't help anyone.

Yeah, we are on one obscure list, though.  Apparently the guy doesn't
like Red Hat or something.  That's a good reason for a block right?

cgf

* Re: Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-03-12 18:46 ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2003-03-12 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stump; +Cc: overseers

> Curious, the gcc machine is on the spam block lists...  Hum...  The
> cause seems to be the spam on the cygwin list.  :-(

This is not uncommon.  Note that SpamCop says it should not be used
in production:

   This  blocking list is somewhat experimental and should not be used in
   a  production environment where legitimate email must be delivered. It
   is  growing  more stable and is used by many large sites now. However,
   SpamCop  is  aggressive  and often errs on the side of blocking mail ...

There's little we can do if end-users block sourceware based on
faulty data.

Perhaps we should unsubscribe list members who forward mailing list
spam to rbl sites.  We do the best we can to block spam, but some
of it is just going to get through and adding sourceware to the
rbl sites doesn't help anyone.

--Angela

* Fwd: Mail refused: SPAM
@ 2003-03-12 18:34 Mike Stump
From: Mike Stump @ 2003-03-12 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Curious, the gcc machine is on the spam block lists...  Hum...  The
cause seems to be the spam on the cygwin list.  :-(

Of the two spam samples they have, one is not on the spam lists, the
other one is:

kithrup bash[17] rblcheck 207.188.235.194
207.188.235.194 RBL filtered by bl.spamcop.net
207.188.235.194 RBL filtered by list.dsbl.org
207.188.235.194 RBL filtered by dnsbl.njabl.org

Thought you'd be interested.

Begin forwarded message: