* Early blind copy for libc-alpha
@ 2020-04-29  9:23 Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-04-29  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: libc-alpha

Would it be possible to get an early copy of messages sent to
<libc-alpha@sourceware.org> before they go into Mailman?

It will help those of us who apply patches on other people's behalf,
without having to undo the Mailman mangling first.

I would manage bounce processing etc. myself for that alternative
alias, on none-sourceware infrastructure.

* Re: Early blind copy for libc-alpha
@ 2020-04-29 10:04 ` Frank Ch. Eigler
From: Frank Ch. Eigler @ 2020-04-29 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi -

> Would it be possible to get an early copy of messages sent to
> <libc-alpha@sourceware.org> before they go into Mailman?

The closest thing I can think of is adding a new alias, like
libc-alpha-raw, which expands to libc-alpha and you?

> It will help those of us who apply patches on other people's behalf,
> without having to undo the Mailman mangling first.

Please also see alternatives outlined in:
https://sourceware.org/pipermail/overseers/2020q1/016783.html

- FChE

* Re: Early blind copy for libc-alpha
@ 2020-04-29 10:13   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-04-29 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Frank Ch. Eigler:

>> Would it be possible to get an early copy of messages sent to
>> <libc-alpha@sourceware.org> before they go into Mailman?
>
> The closest thing I can think of is adding a new alias, like
> libc-alpha-raw, which expands to libc-alpha and you?

Thanks.  No, that's not really useful, sorry.

>> It will help those of us who apply patches on other people's behalf,
>> without having to undo the Mailman mangling first.
>
> Please also see alternatives outlined in:
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/overseers/2020q1/016783.html

I guess moving glibc development to a platform that does not have this
problem is something we have to consider at this point.  I do not
think adding even more requirements for contributors is the
appropriate way forward.

* Re: Early blind copy for libc-alpha
@ 2020-04-29 14:24 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-29 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: overseers, libc-alpha

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:23:05AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>Would it be possible to get an early copy of messages sent to
><libc-alpha@sourceware.org> before they go into Mailman?
>
>It will help those of us who apply patches on other people's behalf,
>without having to undo the Mailman mangling first.

What specifically is mailman doing to the email you receive?

cgf

* Re: Early blind copy for libc-alpha
@ 2020-04-29 14:28   ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2020-04-29 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers; +Cc: libc-alpha

* Christopher Faylor:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:23:05AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>Would it be possible to get an early copy of messages sent to
>><libc-alpha@sourceware.org> before they go into Mailman?
>>
>>It will help those of us who apply patches on other people's behalf,
>>without having to undo the Mailman mangling first.
>
> What specifically is mailman doing to the email you receive?

The From: header contains the list address, not the patch author,
so feeding the message into “git am” produces an incorrect commit.

* Re: Early blind copy for libc-alpha
@ 2020-04-29 16:25     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2020-04-29 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Florian Weimer; +Cc: overseers, libc-alpha