* remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25  2:47 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-09-25  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

Someone in crossgcc is complaining because they found a mirror of the
ftp mailing list archives on a random other site.

Are there any objections to my removing these archives and shutting down
the automatic copying to the ftp area?  I think this practice has
probably outlived its usefulness in this spam-filled era.

cgf

(I know you can regenerate the web archives from these but I don't think
that is worth the downside of this practice)

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25  2:53 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-09-25  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:47:22PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Someone in crossgcc is complaining because they found a mirror of the
>ftp mailing list archives on a random other site.
>
>Are there any objections to my removing these archives and shutting down
>the automatic copying to the ftp area?  I think this practice has
>probably outlived its usefulness in this spam-filled era.

Btw, by "these archives" I mean everything, not just crossgcc.

Maybe Angela could make a special backup of these before this happens
too?

cgf

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25  2:56 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-09-25  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:47:22PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Are there any objections to my removing these archives and shutting down
> the automatic copying to the ftp area?  I think this practice has
> probably outlived its usefulness in this spam-filled era.

For whatever it's worth, I use these every couple of months.  It
would be nice if they were still readable from a sourceware shell at
least.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25  3:10   ` Angela Marie Thomas
From: Angela Marie Thomas @ 2007-09-25  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers

> Maybe Angela could make a special backup of these before this happens
> too?

I can do that.  Just let me know when the cutoff is.

--Angela

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25  4:37   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-09-25  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Daniel Jacobowitz

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:56:03PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:47:22PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Are there any objections to my removing these archives and shutting down
>> the automatic copying to the ftp area?  I think this practice has
>> probably outlived its usefulness in this spam-filled era.
>
>For whatever it's worth, I use these every couple of months.  It
>would be nice if they were still readable from a sourceware shell at
>least.

Shell users can access the qmail archives at /qmail/lists-*.  Would that
be sufficient for your needs?

cgf

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25 11:54     ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2007-09-25 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Faylor; +Cc: overseers, Daniel Jacobowitz

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:56:03PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> >On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:47:22PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> Are there any objections to my removing these archives and shutting down
> >> the automatic copying to the ftp area?  I think this practice has
> >> probably outlived its usefulness in this spam-filled era.
> >
> >For whatever it's worth, I use these every couple of months.  It
> >would be nice if they were still readable from a sourceware shell at
> >least.
>
> Shell users can access the qmail archives at /qmail/lists-*.  Would that
> be sufficient for your needs?

There are parts of some lists' archives in the ftp archives that aren't in
the qmail archives - in particular gcc messages 1-24899, gcc-help 1-4299,
gcc-patches 1-25999 appear to have been removed from the qmail archives at
some point.  If someone kept a tarball when removing them I don't know
where it is; not in the qmail archive area, unlike the tarballs for
gcc-prs and gcc-testresults.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25 12:01     ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2007-09-25 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 12:37:24AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Shell users can access the qmail archives at /qmail/lists-*.  Would that
> be sufficient for your needs?

I think so.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-25 13:21       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-09-25 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:54:39AM +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
>On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>
>>>For whatever it's worth, I use these every couple of months.  It would
>>>be nice if they were still readable from a sourceware shell at least.
>>
>>Shell users can access the qmail archives at /qmail/lists-*.  Would
>>that be sufficient for your needs?
>
>There are parts of some lists' archives in the ftp archives that aren't
>in the qmail archives - in particular gcc messages 1-24899, gcc-help
>1-4299, gcc-patches 1-25999 appear to have been removed from the qmail
>archives at some point.

Yes.  This is a FAQ or at least a "Frequently Made Observation".  IIRC,
the loss was due to a disk crash.  However, no one has cared enough to
reproduce the html archives.

I can just move the ftp archives elsewhere and turn off their automatic
creation.  Then if some theoretical interested gcc person wants to
reproduce them in the web archives.  Or, you could get the archives from
Angela.

cgf

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-09-26 18:26 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-09-26 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 10:47:22PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>Someone in crossgcc is complaining because they found a mirror of the
>ftp mailing list archives on a random other site.
>
>Are there any objections to my removing these archives and shutting down
>the automatic copying to the ftp area?  I think this practice has
>probably outlived its usefulness in this spam-filled era.
>
>(I know you can regenerate the web archives from these but I don't think
>that is worth the downside of this practice)

I've turned off the ftp archives and moved the old archives under
/sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives .

cgf

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-10-07 16:40   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2007-10-07 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I've turned off the ftp archives and moved the old archives under
> /sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives .

Ahem, this has caused on the order of 3228 broken links on the GCC web
pages. :-(

I was offline for those two, three days when this change was discussed
and excecuted, or I would have been able to provide this feedback.  In
fact, personally I have repeatedly used those archives, so I'm a bit sad
to see them go, but I understand there are reasons for this change.

I believe I managed to take care of the broken links, by removing them.
In case I made some mistakes during the course of this, I had my script
leave /var/www/gcc/ml/*/index.html.bak and index.html.bak2 as backfiles
of the original status.

On the way, I removed /var/www/gcc/ml/*/index.noget, most of which dated
back to Oct 1st 2003, with a few Oct 5th 2003 or Jan 1st 2003 or earlier
and /var/www/gcc/ml/*/index.bak-ftp most of which dated back to Oct 1st
of this year, and /var/www/gcc/ml/*/index.html.testbak dating back to
Jan 3rd 2000.

Gerald

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-10-07 17:40     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-10-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers, Gerald Pfeifer

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 06:40:41PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I've turned off the ftp archives and moved the old archives under
>> /sourceware/vault/old-ftp-archives .
>
>Ahem, this has caused on the order of 3228 broken links on the GCC web
>pages. :-(

Yes.  I think I responded to the gcc email thread where this was mentioned.

>I was offline for those two, three days when this change was discussed
>and excecuted, or I would have been able to provide this feedback.  In
>fact, personally I have repeatedly used those archives, so I'm a bit sad
>to see them go, but I understand there are reasons for this change.
>
>I believe I managed to take care of the broken links, by removing them.
>In case I made some mistakes during the course of this, I had my script
>leave /var/www/gcc/ml/*/index.html.bak and index.html.bak2 as backfiles
>of the original status.

Would you be interested in running the script for the sourceware archives
too?

cgf

* Re: remove mail-archives from ftp?
@ 2007-10-07 21:21       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2007-10-07 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: overseers

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Would you be interested in running the script for the sourceware
> archives too?

Sure.  I started with 2169 of those links and after removing the ones
pointing to ftp://sourceware.org we were down to 200.

In the course of this, I adjusted three one-off directories with uncommon
group membership/rights under /www/sourceware/ml:

  chgrp sourceware c++-embedded/
  chmod g+ws cgen
  chgrp sourceware libc-locales

Doing the same for ftp://sources.redhat.com got us down to 119, and after
taking care of ftp://cygwin.com we are done to a single link to an mbox-
formatted mailbox, namely the one in dwarf2/index.html.  This I suggest
to keep because the mbox is still there.

I hope this is what you had in mind. :-)

Gerald