public inbox for sid@sourceware.org
From: "Frank Ch. Eigler" <fche@redhat.com>
To: Mathieu Lacage <mathieu_lacage@realmagic.fr>
Cc: sid@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: running eCos under sid
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi -

On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 10:31:45AM +0100, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
: [...]
: Because I am trying to avoid launching my vmware/win2k/arm simulator, I
: decided to try to use sid to run a hello-world with eCos...
:
: I built an eCos kernel for the INTEGRATOR ARM development card. Then, I
: built a hello world with:
: arm-elf-gcc -I/infinite/ecos/ecos/test_install/include
: -L/infinite/ecos/ecos/test_install/lib -Ttarget.ld main.c -o main
:
: I got a 1.3 MB elf binary which I tried to run in sid (yesterday's CVS)
: with:
: arm-elf-sif main
: which gave:
: bash$ arm-elf-sid -EL main
: Fault (memory, 0x1a000004) pc=0x8048
: [...]

Right.  This happens because the simulator was not asked to configure
itself for a model of the "Integrator" board.  By default, it provides
a simple process model, with little in the way of simulated hardware
peripherals.  The SID component (model) library includes parts for
several ARM flavour peripherals: they were built to model the old
ARM PID development board.  To the extent that this "Integrator" board
is similar, you may make use of the components by "--board=pid7t" and
related options.  Simulation for different boards involves assembling
models for all the required parts, and configuring sid to use them:
this can be a small or big job.

For a taste, try running
	sid arm-pid-redboot-tksm.conf
(find named file under $prefix/share/sid; it explains its own origins)
then telnet to localhost:5000 (or connect gdb to localhost:5000; can
upload a RAM-startup eCos program).  This configuration brings up
the PID board simulation, preloads an older RedBoot ROM image.
RedBoot shows a command line on uart1, which is connected to TCP
port 5000.  A little tcl/tk gui also appears, so you can
monitor/interact-with the simulation as it's proceeding.

- FChE

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 232 bytes --]

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID