* Weird permissions in SN5
@ 2001-04-04  5:47 Nacho de los Ríos Tormo
From: Nacho de los Ríos Tormo @ 2001-04-04  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

I have downloaded the Snav5 binary for Linux with great anticipation, and
have uncompressed the tar.gz file to /opt/snavigator .

I can start the program with /opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator only when root,
because files belong to user 1105 in group 1002, neither of which exist in my
system. This disallows me to execute Snav5 as a user. However, it DOES work
when called by root -- though this is useless to me, because my personal
directory resides in a network server, and it is unavailable for my station's
root user.

To chown everything to root.root is not enough, because the file permissions
are wrong for users not in the group, and access is disalowed.

Chowning to root.users looked as it might have worked, but then
/opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator  originates an inmediate segmentation fault.
chmod  everything to 755 also produces a segmentation fault.

Finally, I created a "snavigator" user 1105 and a "snavigator" group 1002 and
added my own user to the snavigator group. Time for segmentation fault again!

This is happening on SuSE Linux 7.0

What else can I do?

Thanks a lot,

Nacho de los Ríos Tormo
Procedimientos Integrados S.L.
Sevillanos, 67
28609 Sevilla la Nueva, Madrid
SPAIN

* Re: Weird permissions in SN5
@ 2001-04-04  7:17 ` Marta Stojanovic
From: Marta Stojanovic @ 2001-04-04  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

Hi !

I had the exact same problem on RedHat Linux 7.0. Tried to change owner/group to
be exactly like they are for the installation directory of SN452, but it didn't
work.

I also have a question concerning hyper : when I try to execute hyper from the
bin directory (logged as root) it gives me this error message :

                        Error: unknown encoding "iso8859-1"

SourceNavigator works when I'm logged as a root, but I didn't try all its
functionalities. I don't know if this error message is a big problem or not, I
just wanted to let you know.

If somebody knows how to solve those permissions, it'd be great. I would really
prefer not to work as root all the time.

I posted a question concerning Java some time ago, without any luck : I wonder
if there is some way to get those instance variables types when analyzing Java
code. They are not in the database (.iv file). Is it too hard to change the Java
parser ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advace.

Kind regards,
Marta.

Nacho de los Ríos Tormo wrote:

> I have downloaded the Snav5 binary for Linux with great anticipation, and
> have uncompressed the tar.gz file to /opt/snavigator .
>
> I can start the program with /opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator only when root,
> because files belong to user 1105 in group 1002, neither of which exist in my
> system. This disallows me to execute Snav5 as a user. However, it DOES work
> when called by root -- though this is useless to me, because my personal
> directory resides in a network server, and it is unavailable for my station's
> root user.
>
> To chown everything to root.root is not enough, because the file permissions
> are wrong for users not in the group, and access is disalowed.
>
> Chowning to root.users looked as it might have worked, but then
> /opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator  originates an inmediate segmentation fault.
> chmod  everything to 755 also produces a segmentation fault.
>
> Finally, I created a "snavigator" user 1105 and a "snavigator" group 1002 and
> added my own user to the snavigator group. Time for segmentation fault again!
>
> This is happening on SuSE Linux 7.0
>
> What else can I do?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Nacho de los Ríos Tormo
> Procedimientos Integrados S.L.
> Sevillanos, 67
> 28609 Sevilla la Nueva, Madrid
> SPAIN

* Re: Weird permissions in SN5
@ 2001-04-05 22:39   ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-04-05 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Marta Stojanovic wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I had the exact same problem on RedHat Linux 7.0. Tried to
> change owner/group to be exactly like they are for the
> installation directory of SN452, but it didn't work.

I just downloaded the binary and tried to install it
as root. I tried this, and it seemed to work
around the problem. Untarring as a normal
user also seems to "fix" the problem.

cd $INSTALL
chown -R root.root i686-pc-linux-gnulibc2.1
find . -type d -exec chmod 775 {} \;
find . -type f -exec chmod o+r {} \;

> I also have a question concerning hyper : when I try to execute hyper from the
> bin directory (logged as root) it gives me this error message :
>
>                         Error: unknown encoding "iso8859-1"

Yes, that is a known problem. The "fix" is to explicitly
set the TCL_LIBRARY env var before running hyper.

setenv TCL_LIBRARY $INSTALL/share/etc

If you take a look at the bin/snavigator script you
will find that it does just that. Also, if you
build from the source, the problem does not show
up, it only happens when you move the tree
and try to run it in the new location. We
need to fix this, it is just at the bottom
of the list since most folks don't use hyper
directly.

> I posted a question concerning Java some time ago, without any luck :
> I wonder if there is some way to get those instance variables
> types when analyzing Java code. They are not in the database (.iv
> file). Is it too hard to change the Java parser ? Any suggestions ?

I saw your note, but I did not have anything to add to the discussion.
If the .lv tables are not generated, it most likely means the
parser does not have them implemented. Working on the parser
is the only way to fix such a problem.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc

* Re: Weird permissions in SN5
@ 2001-04-05 23:08 ` Mo DeJong
From: Mo DeJong @ 2001-04-05 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sourcenav

> Chowning to root.users looked as it might have worked, but then
> /opt/snavigator/bin/snavigator  originates an inmediate segmentation fault.
> chmod  everything to 755 also produces a segmentation fault.
>
> Finally, I created a "snavigator" user 1105 and a "snavigator" group 1002 and
> added my own user to the snavigator group. Time for segmentation fault again!
>
> This is happening on SuSE Linux 7.0

Does this problem go away if you download the source code and
build it on your own? I would like to "solve" this problem
by getting rid of the Linux binary, so I would like to
know if recompiling fixes the problem for you.

Mo DeJong
Red Hat Inc