* RE: Summary of nightly testing 20061016 (failed to retrieve return value location)
@ 2006-10-18 15:41 Nguyen, Thang P
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Nguyen, Thang P @ 2006-10-18 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Cohen; +Cc: systemtap

Hi Will,

Sorry for the confusion.  The test I used

./testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.exp (tcptest.stp)

Occasionally it fails due to TCP traffic, but not "$return" error.

Thang

From: William Cohen @ 2006-10-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen, Thang P; +Cc: systemtap

Nguyen, Thang P wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.  The test I used
>
> ./testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.exp (tcptest.stp)
>
> Occasionally it fails due to TCP traffic, but not "$return" error.
>

> Thang

Okay so it fails on the machines here in the Red Hat office, but works on the
intel machines. Time to compare and find out what is different on the machines.

Were the tests run using the stap_testing script? This script configures the
installation in a local directory. What does the config line look like when
systemtap is built?

distro things are built on:
config:
architecture:
kernel:
binutils:
systemtap:

The local RH rawhide machine I got the failures on

distro things are built on: i686 rawhide
config:/home/wcohen/stap_testing_200610180830/src/configure
--with-elfutils=/home/wcohen/rh-rpms/BUILD/elfutils-0.124
--prefix=/home/wcohen/stap_testing_200610180830/install

architecture: i686

kernel: 2.6.18-1.2798.fc6PAE #1 SMP Mon Oct 16 14:54:22 EDT 2006 i686 i686 i386
GNU/Linux

binutils: ~/rh-rpms/BUILD/elfutils-0.124

systemtap: cvs checkout 20061018

-Will

* Re: Summary of nightly testing 20061016 (failed to retrieve return  value location)
@ 2006-10-18 16:40 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2006-10-18 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen, Thang P; +Cc: systemtap

Nguyen, Thang P wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.  The test I used
>
> ./testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.exp (tcptest.stp)
>
> Occasionally it fails due to TCP traffic, but not "$return" error.

Hi Thang,

I took a closer look at the default install in /usr/local/bin and what is
installed when using stap_testing. There are two files missing from the
share/systemtap/tapset/*.stp:

Looking at what is in the share/systemtap/tapset directories there are some
differences:

$ diff /tmp/stap_test.files /tmp/stap_local.files
0a1,6
 > ./2.6.14/i686/syscalls.stp
 > ./2.6.14/syscalls.stp
 > ./2.6.9-20.ELsmp/i686/syscalls.stp
 > ./2.6.9-20.ELsmp/syscalls.stp
 > ./2.6.9-24.ELsmp/syscalls.stp
 > ./2.6.9-24.ELsmp/x86_64/syscalls.stp
41a48
 > ./return.stp
48a56
 > ./system_calls.stp

This explains why the $return wasn't working. However, I don't know why just
those two stp files and some of subdirectories are not installed when the
following was in the configure:

--prefix=/home/wcohen/stap_testing_200610181621/install

-Will

* Re: Summary of nightly testing 20061016 (failed to retrieve return  value location)
@ 2006-10-18 19:26 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2006-10-18 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen, Thang P; +Cc: systemtap

Nguyen, Thang P wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> Sorry for the confusion.  The test I used
>
> ./testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.exp (tcptest.stp)
>
> Occasionally it fails due to TCP traffic, but not "$return" error.
>

> Thang

The problem is due to shared libraries. Need to set up so looks for shared
libraries in when running the tests. Below demonstrates the problem.

$
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/wcohen/systemtap_write/obj/lib-elfutils:/home/wcohen/systemtap_write/obj/lib-elfutils/systemtap:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  ./stap ../src/testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.stp

Okay the following works:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/wcohen/systemtap_write/intall2/lib/systemtap ./stap
../src/testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.stp

This does not work:

$  ./stap ../src/testsuite/systemtap.samples/tcptest.stp semantic error: failed
to retrieve return value location: identifier '$return' at
/home/wcohen/systemtap_write/intall2/share/systemtap/tapset/tcp.stp:129:9
semantic error: failed to retrieve return value location: identifier '$return'
at /home/wcohen/systemtap_write/intall2/share/systemtap/tapset/tcp.stp:159:9
[...]
Pass 2: analysis failed.  Try again with more '-v' (verbose) options.

-Will

* RE: Summary of nightly testing 20061016 (failed to retrieve return  value location)
@ 2006-10-18 19:46 Nguyen, Thang P
From: Nguyen, Thang P @ 2006-10-18 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Cohen; +Cc: systemtap

Ok.  thanks for the info...

Thang

@ 2006-10-18 14:08 ` bibo,mao
From: bibo,mao @ 2006-10-18 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nguyen, Thang P; +Cc: William Cohen, systemtap

Nguyen, Thang P wrote:

>  > The tcptest.stp failed on most of the platforms. When trying to
> compile
>  > the script by hand it gets a number of errors:
>  >       "failed to retrieve return value location: identifier '$return'"
>  >
>  > For
>  > install/share/systemtap/tapset/tcp.stp:159:9
>  > install/share/systemtap/tapset/tcp.stp:129:9
>  >
>  > This is looking like there might be a problem with the
>  > debuginformation for some of the kernels.
>  >
>  > -Will
>
> I could not reproduce any "$return" error on my boxes (ia32 & x86_64).
> Looks like Bibo also had this problem earlier, not sure if he still sees
> the issue, or if any resolution has been made.  See the thread below.
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2006-q3/msg00130.html
>
> http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2006-q3/msg00129.html

$return error on IA64 is solved by elfutils 0.123 later version, it
works well my IA32 & x86_64 machines also.

thanks
bibo,mao

@ 2006-10-18 13:51 ` William Cohen
From: William Cohen @ 2006-10-18 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)