public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: Xconq list <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Feeling left out of the terrain talk
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:59:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Lincoln Peters wrote:

> the ability to use unusual fonts (preferably with the ability to provide
> a list of fonts to fall back on, should your font of choice not exist on
> the player's computer).  Of course, most of these *will* require
> additional kernel code, but if I understand what you're describing, only
> the font thing would require code beyond what I've proposed already.

I don't think any additional kernel code would be required. It is
essentially GUI code.

I have eventual plans to allow game designers to specify custom fonts
(probably in small, medium, and large sizes) for the various elements
of the SDL interface. Currently SDL has no direct knowledge of fonts;
the way that fonts are "emulated" is by extracting images from a file
(see 'font.bmp' in the 'images' dir to see what I am talking about). The
goal would be for some new GDL gvars so that one could do:
   (set ui-sdl-small-font "sdlfont-futhark-small.bmp")
   (set ui-sdl-medium-font "sdlfont-feanorean-medium.bmp")
   (set ui-sdl-large-font "sdlfont-westernesse-large.bmp")
or something like that, and then each of the UI elements that uses a
particular sized font would then display text with those fonts. (Of
course, runic alphabets would probably prove to be unrecognizable to
most and certainly don't have exact English analogues, but the above was
just for demonstration purposes.)

> Love makes fools, marriage cuckolds, and patriotism malevolent imbeciles.
> 		-- Paul Leautaud, "Passe-temps"

And France makes flaming cynics. ;-)

Eric