public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Jim Kingdon <kingdon@panix.com>
Cc: feneric@saugus.net,  xconq7@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: New Proposed Xconq Web Site Online
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:14:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Jim Kingdon wrote:
>>Mi shanghas la temo -- mi rimarkigi ke Xconq flikis por elmontro
>>japana; chu levpovas chi tio por aliaj lingvoj?
>
> Se oni deziras uzi tcl/tk, aux aliaj (gtk?), shajne oni povus
> simple uzi la UTF-8-on kaj la grafik-sistemo havus la solvon.

"If __ desires to use Tcl/Tk, or others (Gtk?), ___ ___ able to simply
use the UTF-8 and the graphic system has the solution."

"oni" -> "unus" -> "one" (?)
"shajne" -> "certainly/surely" (?)

> En sdl, ni havas la dosieron images/font.bmp kaj ghi enhavas nur la
> signojn el US-ASCII.  Do ni bezonas solvi la problemon ni mem, aux
> elekti programon (ne parte de sdl mem) por teksto.

"In/with SDL, it has the file 'images/font.bmp' and this contains only
the symbols from US-ASCII.  That it ____ to solve the problem it ___, or
to select programs (not part of SDL ___) for text."

"bezonas" -> "tries" (?)
This would seem to make sense in the context of your comment about me
and "pri". (I try to learn the meaning of the word "pri".)

Now, for an actual Xconq-related response: yes, I too have given
consideration about what a pain in the posterior the
internationalization aspect of the SDL may cause. I think that other
font tables, similar to 'fonts.bmp' may need to be used for other
languages, and the 'draw_string' code will probably have to be rewritten
to dispatch to new functions such as 'draw_string_en_US',
'draw_string_eo' :-), etc... as appropriate.

Of course, first thing is to get newlines and horizontal tabs supported,
__something I did only a few weeks ago.

> Eble la plej grava lingvo estas la elfa de JRR Tolkien (kaj la Tengwar
> kaj la Angerthas), por la ludo "Mastro de l'Ringo".  Kun la helpo de
> la apendico de Reveno de la Regho, oni povus skribi lok-nomojn en la
> Tolkienaj lingvoj.

"Possibly the most heavy/troublesome language is the elvish of J.R.R.
Tolkien (and the Tengwar and the Angerthas), for the game "Lord of the
Ring". With the help of the appendix of the _Return of the King_, one is
able to write place-names in the Tolkienish languages."

"Eble" -> "possibly" (?)
"plej" -> "most" (?)

Shouldn't "Mastro de l'Ringo" be "Mastro de l'Ringoj" ?

Eric

P.S. The appendix of the _Return of the King_ does rock. Also, if one
picks up _Unfinished Tales_ (released after John Ronald Reuel's death by
his son Christopher), one can gain even more Middle Earth lore. (Though
the secrets for making the rings are not revealed....)