public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
From: Eric McDonald <mcdonald@phy.cmich.edu>
To: Jim Kingdon <kingdon@panix.com>
Cc: xconq7@sources.redhat.com, <sampln@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: annoying new bug in movement
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 13:16:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi Jim, Lincoln, others,

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Jim Kingdon wrote:

> wanted to go.  This is fairly new, probably with the new path code.

Yes.
Two things:
(1) check_move_action does not check for all the same things as
do_move_action expects.
(2) do_move_action underwent a significant revision with a patch
Peter provided on Nov 18. I checked in the patch more recently
(Nov 29). In particular, the trouble seems to come from this part:

-    } else if (dist == 1
-              || (dist == 2 && border_slide_possible(u2, ox, oy,
x, y))) {

+    } else if((dir = choose_move_direction(unit2, x, y, 0,
CMD_NONE)) >= 0) {

This changed what sort of things fell through to the "else"
branch. Of course, there was no "else" branch; flow simply
returned to the trunk of the function, which had:

     if (alive(unit)) {
         acpcost = max(acpcost, u_acp_to_move(u2));
         if (acpcost < 1)
           acpcost = 1;
         use_up_acp(unit, acpcost);
     }

so that ACP was being deducted whether or not the unit was
actually being moved.

> By "fails" I mean that the ACP now shows "0/1" but the infantry hasn't
> gone anywhere.  It doesn't even go into reserve mode, which I could
> recover from.

I have put in an "else" branch to catch anything that falls
through. It does not correctly address all the possibilities;
choose_move_direction() and the stuff inside its branch must
likely be improved to address them properly.

But at least now a notification is provided to let the player know
that the movement cannot be performed, and ACP is prevented from
being deducted in such a circumstance.

Maybe you could give things a try now.

  Thanks,
    Eric