public inbox for xconq7@sourceware.org
* slow?
@ 2004-07-12  3:50 Robert Goulding
From: Robert Goulding @ 2004-07-12  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xconq7

On recompiling from CVS, the display bug under WinTCL seems to be gone, in
the same game I was playing in which I first noticed it.  But my subjective
impression is that the game is running *much* more slowly, especially, I
think, when units are sent to resupply (is this a side effect of the new
resupply code?).  I have no idea how to read the debug information, but when
I set DD, there were many lines of the sort 'Did nothing 1000 times' (which
may be normal); and with DG set the display seemed to be hovering for a
*long* time around the same area (which is also the impression I get when
playing).

Robert.

* Re: slow?
@ 2004-07-12  6:13 ` Eric McDonald
From: Eric McDonald @ 2004-07-12  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goulding; +Cc: xconq7

Robert Goulding wrote:

>  and with DG set the display seemed to be hovering for a
> *long* time around the same area (which is also the impression I get when
> playing).

I would agree that the game graphics are now moving at a creep. Playing
Win32 Tkconq on my virtual machine was slow to start with, but now cell
display updates are downright sluggish. It may be a side effect of Hans'
earlier chckin to fix the unremoved unit images problem that you and
others reported earlier.

This Tcl/Tk interface can be really frustrating some times. I almost
have half a mind to go into a major hacking frenzy with the SDL
interface and try to bring that up to snuff (which I was planning on
doing after the 7.5 release anyway), so that we could throw away Tkconq....

Eric

* Re: slow?
@ 2004-07-12  8:56   ` Hans Ronne
From: Hans Ronne @ 2004-07-12  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric McDonald; +Cc: xconq7

>Robert Goulding wrote:
>
>>  and with DG set the display seemed to be hovering for a
>> *long* time around the same area (which is also the impression I get when
>> playing).
>
>I would agree that the game graphics are now moving at a creep. Playing
>Win32 Tkconq on my virtual machine was slow to start with, but now cell
>display updates are downright sluggish. It may be a side effect of Hans'
>earlier chckin to fix the unremoved unit images problem that you and
>others reported earlier.

The code now always draws adjacent cells, which is a temporary fix. I
didn't notice much of a slowdown, but it does of course depend on the game
you are playing as well as on the system.

Hans