public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-01  8:21 Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-09-01  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

After years of trying, I finally got the gmane admins to change the status of
the gmane.os.cygwin.applications group from "unidirectional", where posting
through gmane isn't allowed, to "non-public", which should allow gmane users to
post to gmane.os.cygwin.applications and have their posts sent as email to
cygwin-apps at cygwin dot com.  See
http://gmane.org/info.php?group=gmane.os.cygwin.applications.

However now that I try this, it doesn't work.  I posted a message and gmane
accepted it, but the post (Subject: gmane now allows posting directly to
cygwin-apps) hasn't appeared. In cases like this, gmane's position (in their
FAQ) is that they sent the email, and the problem must be elsewhere.

Does anyone know if there's something about the sourceware mailing list software
or configuration that would keep it from accepting email to cygwin-apps sent via
gmane?  Note that I've used gmane exclusively to post to the cygwin list for
years.  It works fine.  Only cygwin-apps seems to be affected by this problem.

Thanks,
Andrew

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-01 16:47 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-01 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Andrew Schulman writes:
> However now that I try this, it doesn't work.  I posted a message and gmane
> accepted it, but the post (Subject: gmane now allows posting directly to
> cygwin-apps) hasn't appeared. In cases like this, gmane's position (in their
> FAQ) is that they sent the email, and the problem must be elsewhere.

Which likely is the case, given that cgf hated Gmane for whatever reason
and also kept the spam traps adjusted.

> Does anyone know if there's something about the sourceware mailing list software
> or configuration that would keep it from accepting email to cygwin-apps sent via
> gmane?  Note that I've used gmane exclusively to post to the cygwin list for
> years.  It works fine.  Only cygwin-apps seems to be affected by this problem.

I'd say that mail through Gmane is still filtered on Sourceware.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-01 17:13   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-09-01 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sep  1 18:47, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Andrew Schulman writes:
> > However now that I try this, it doesn't work.  I posted a message and gmane
> > accepted it, but the post (Subject: gmane now allows posting directly to
> > cygwin-apps) hasn't appeared. In cases like this, gmane's position (in their
> > FAQ) is that they sent the email, and the problem must be elsewhere.
>
> Which likely is the case, given that cgf hated Gmane for whatever reason
> and also kept the spam traps adjusted.
>
> > Does anyone know if there's something about the sourceware mailing list software
> > or configuration that would keep it from accepting email to cygwin-apps sent via
> > gmane?  Note that I've used gmane exclusively to post to the cygwin list for
> > years.  It works fine.  Only cygwin-apps seems to be affected by this problem.
>
> I'd say that mail through Gmane is still filtered on Sourceware.

I guess you're right.  What we got a while back was to remove the
extra-aggressive filters on the cygwin mailing lists, so the spam
filtering on those are the same now as for any other mailing list on
sourceware.  So I assume (but I don't know that, actually) that
the same gmane filtering is done for all mailing lists on sware.

Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 819 bytes --]

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-01 17:26     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-01 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> I'd say that mail through Gmane is still filtered on Sourceware.
>
> I guess you're right.  What we got a while back was to remove the
> extra-aggressive filters on the cygwin mailing lists, so the spam
> filtering on those are the same now as for any other mailing list on
> sourceware.  So I assume (but I don't know that, actually) that
> the same gmane filtering is done for all mailing lists on sware.

No, it must be specific to cygwin-apps (or else the main cygwin list is
excepted).  Posting through Gmane has and still does work on the main
list, but on none of the others.  Gmane will send the mail as coming
from your subscribed address (if you've configured it correctly), but of
course it's still delivered by gmane's mailer.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-01 18:23       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-09-01 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Sep  1 19:26, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
> >> I'd say that mail through Gmane is still filtered on Sourceware.
> >
> > I guess you're right.  What we got a while back was to remove the
> > extra-aggressive filters on the cygwin mailing lists, so the spam
> > filtering on those are the same now as for any other mailing list on
> > sourceware.  So I assume (but I don't know that, actually) that
> > the same gmane filtering is done for all mailing lists on sware.
>
> No, it must be specific to cygwin-apps (or else the main cygwin list is
> excepted).  Posting through Gmane has and still does work on the main
> list, but on none of the others.  Gmane will send the mail as coming
> from your subscribed address (if you've configured it correctly), but of
> course it's still delivered by gmane's mailer.

Hmm, ok.  Care to ask overseers or even... postmaster?

@ 2015-09-01 18:36         ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-09-01 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> > > I guess you're right.  What we got a while back was to remove the
> > > extra-aggressive filters on the cygwin mailing lists, so the spam
> > > filtering on those are the same now as for any other mailing list on
> > > sourceware.  So I assume (but I don't know that, actually) that
> > > the same gmane filtering is done for all mailing lists on sware.
> >
> > No, it must be specific to cygwin-apps (or else the main cygwin list is
> > excepted).  Posting through Gmane has and still does work on the main
> > list, but on none of the others.  Gmane will send the mail as coming
> > from your subscribed address (if you've configured it correctly), but of
> > course it's still delivered by gmane's mailer.
>
> Hmm, ok.  Care to ask overseers or even... postmaster?

Yes, I sent a message to cygwin-apps-owner this morning, asking for their
help.

gmane has worked flawlessly for me for posting on the cygwin list for
years.  I'm not aware of any problems with it.  So I hope we can get it to
work for the other lists too.

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-02 19:16 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2015-09-02 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

Andrew Schulman writes:
> Does anyone know if there's something about the sourceware mailing list software
> or configuration that would keep it from accepting email to cygwin-apps sent via
> gmane?  Note that I've used gmane exclusively to post to the cygwin list for
> years.  It works fine.  Only cygwin-apps seems to be affected by this problem.

I've tried to post here from Gmane today.  I've got a rejection notice
from sourceware back via gmane's mailer, so it's definitely the
configuration on sourceware that's responsible.  I've sent a request to
cygwin-apps-owner like that notice said I should do.  Let's see what
happens…

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-11 18:04         ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-09-11 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> > > I guess you're right.  What we got a while back was to remove the
> > > extra-aggressive filters on the cygwin mailing lists, so the spam
> > > filtering on those are the same now as for any other mailing list on
> > > sourceware.  So I assume (but I don't know that, actually) that
> > > the same gmane filtering is done for all mailing lists on sware.
> >
> > No, it must be specific to cygwin-apps (or else the main cygwin list is
> > excepted).  Posting through Gmane has and still does work on the main
> > list, but on none of the others.  Gmane will send the mail as coming
> > from your subscribed address (if you've configured it correctly), but of
> > course it's still delivered by gmane's mailer.
>
> Hmm, ok.  Care to ask overseers or even... postmaster?

I wrote to cygwin-apps-owner at sourceware.org on September 1, and
postmaster at sourceware.org on September 9.  No one has answered either
one.  Any other ideas?

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-09-11 21:52           ` Yaakov Selkowitz
From: Yaakov Selkowitz @ 2015-09-11 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 14:04 -0400, Andrew Schulman wrote:

> > > No, it must be specific to cygwin-apps (or else the main cygwin list is
> > > excepted).  Posting through Gmane has and still does work on the main
> > > list, but on none of the others.  Gmane will send the mail as coming
> > > from your subscribed address (if you've configured it correctly), but of
> > > course it's still delivered by gmane's mailer.
> >
> > Hmm, ok.  Care to ask overseers or even... postmaster?
>
> I wrote to cygwin-apps-owner at sourceware.org on September 1, and
> postmaster at sourceware.org on September 9.  No one has answered either
> one.  Any other ideas?

This is not something we control ourselves, so please be patient.

--
Yaakov

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-11-13 15:43             ` Andrew Schulman
From: Andrew Schulman @ 2015-11-13 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

> > > Hmm, ok.  Care to ask overseers or even... postmaster?
> >
> > I wrote to cygwin-apps-owner at sourceware.org on September 1, and
> > postmaster at sourceware.org on September 9.  No one has answered either
> > one.  Any other ideas?
>
> This is not something we control ourselves, so please be patient.

Two months have passed.  I've had no answer from either cygwin-apps-owner or
postmaster.  Messages sent through gmane to gmane.os.cygwin.applications are
still being rejected.  Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Thanks, Andrew

* Re: allowing gmane to post to cygwin-apps
@ 2015-11-16  9:44               ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2015-11-16  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps