public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* Re: RE: Cygwin x86 end-of-life
@ 2022-11-18 19:30 Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2022-11-18 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Fri, 18 Nov 2022 15:51:34 +0000, Jon Turney wrote:
> On 14/11/2022 21:29, Jason Pyeron wrote:

>>> Thank you very much appreciated, hopefully we can deal with the remaining issues
>>> quickly.

>> I do not have an articulate retort to ending support, but all I can say is
>> that I feel there must be a middle ground.
>> I feel that there could and should be some form of "we don’t support it"
>> but we are not going out of our way to prevent it.

> I'm unclear if this means:
> (a) "releasing Cygwin 3.4.x DLL for x86 OS"
> (b) "don't require x86 uploads, but don't prevent them, either"
> The problem I have with (b) is that we probably end up in a state where
> x86 is missing package updates people want or need; or broken, but we
> don't know it, because nobody uses it.

>> Can I throw resources at a solution? If so what?

> Sure, if that's what you want to do.
> According surveys, 32-bit Windows has a fraction of 1% market share, and
> declining. Our own (limited) metrics are in accord with that, so I
> basically see any time I spend on this as wasted.
> So, the first resource you'll need provide is manpower.

The decision makes sense with those numbers.
Do we have numbers to say what the situation is with Windows mingw64-i686 crosses?
Should we also be dropping those at the same time, if there is only 1% use of
that platform?
In which case, we should announce that, and add that to the EoL notices.

--
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis			Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte			Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter	not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer	but when there is no more to cut
			-- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Cygwin x86 end-of-life
@ 2022-11-14 16:25 Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-11-14 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)