public inbox for cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
* gcovr - Suitable for Cygwin?
@ 2016-06-04 18:10 David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2016-06-04 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

I've been using gcovr to generate coverage reports, and I'd be happy to
maintain this for Cygwin. Before submitting a package, I'd be grateful
if someone could check the licence [1].

It's a fairly standard 3-clause BSD affair, but with the caveat that
'the U.S. Government retains certain rights in this software.' It isn't
clear (to me, at least) what rights are being referred to. Would such a
clause prohibit its inclusion in Cygwin?

Note that gcovr isn't available for Fedora or CentOS, although this
could be because it hasn't been packaged for these distros, rather than
any incompatibility in the licence. It is, however, available for Debian
and Ubuntu [2].

Any thoughts on its suitability for Cygwin?

Dave.

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/gcovr/gcovr/master/LICENSE.txt
[2] https://pkgs.org/search/gcovr

* Re: gcovr - Suitable for Cygwin?
@ 2016-06-06  8:50 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-06-06  8:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun  4 19:10, David Stacey wrote:
> I've been using gcovr to generate coverage reports, and I'd be happy to
> maintain this for Cygwin. Before submitting a package, I'd be grateful if
> someone could check the licence [1].
>
> It's a fairly standard 3-clause BSD affair, but with the caveat that 'the
> U.S. Government retains certain rights in this software.' It isn't clear (to
> me, at least) what rights are being referred to. Would such a clause
> prohibit its inclusion in Cygwin?
>
> Note that gcovr isn't available for Fedora or CentOS, although this could be
> because it hasn't been packaged for these distros, rather than any
> incompatibility in the licence. It is, however, available for Debian and
> Ubuntu [2].
>
> Any thoughts on its suitability for Cygwin?

Let me ask somebody who knows this better than me...

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gcovr - Suitable for Cygwin?
@ 2016-06-06 12:15 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2016-06-06 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

David Stacey <drstacey@...> writes:
> Note that gcovr isn't available for Fedora or CentOS, although this
> could be because it hasn't been packaged for these distros, rather than
> any incompatibility in the licence. It is, however, available for Debian
> and Ubuntu [2].

Debian has it, of all unlikely places:
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=gcovr

:-)

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: gcovr - Suitable for Cygwin?
@ 2016-06-06 19:18   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2016-06-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On Jun  6 10:49, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun  4 19:10, David Stacey wrote:
> > I've been using gcovr to generate coverage reports, and I'd be happy to
> > maintain this for Cygwin. Before submitting a package, I'd be grateful if
> > someone could check the licence [1].
> >
> > It's a fairly standard 3-clause BSD affair, but with the caveat that 'the
> > U.S. Government retains certain rights in this software.' It isn't clear (to
> > me, at least) what rights are being referred to. Would such a clause
> > prohibit its inclusion in Cygwin?
> >
> > Note that gcovr isn't available for Fedora or CentOS, although this could be
> > because it hasn't been packaged for these distros, rather than any
> > incompatibility in the licence. It is, however, available for Debian and
> > Ubuntu [2].
> >
> > Any thoughts on its suitability for Cygwin?
>
> Let me ask somebody who knows this better than me...

Ok, nothing to worry about.  Please go ahead if you like.

Thanks,
Corinna

Red Hat

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: gcovr - Suitable for Cygwin?
@ 2016-06-06 21:14     ` David Stacey
From: David Stacey @ 2016-06-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-apps

On 06/06/16 20:18, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun  6 10:49, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Jun  4 19:10, David Stacey wrote:
>>> I've been using gcovr to generate coverage reports, and I'd be happy to
>>> maintain this for Cygwin. Before submitting a package, I'd be grateful if
>>> someone could check the licence [1].
>>>
>>> It's a fairly standard 3-clause BSD affair, but with the caveat that 'the
>>> U.S. Government retains certain rights in this software.' It isn't clear (to
>>> me, at least) what rights are being referred to. Would such a clause
>>> prohibit its inclusion in Cygwin?
>>>
>>> Note that gcovr isn't available for Fedora or CentOS, although this could be
>>> because it hasn't been packaged for these distros, rather than any
>>> incompatibility in the licence. It is, however, available for Debian and
>>> Ubuntu [2].
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on its suitability for Cygwin?
>> Let me ask somebody who knows this better than me...
> Ok, nothing to worry about.  Please go ahead if you like.

Thank you for checking. I'll prepare a package later this week.

Dave.