* Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-10-31 22:58 Jānis Ķengurs
From: Jānis Ķengurs @ 2023-10-31 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that can
fast open iso files for testing
Downloaded on  Windows 10
Here shows what depends on this install, but does it select all files it
needs?
https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/virt-manager.html
Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
The error is weird- suggest to unselect, but people might not read, instead
error should open to install separate if need to install it seperate

I selected that library also but now instllation for both files asking for
python2
Problem 1/2
nothing provides python2 needed by python2-libvirt-4.2.0-1
Solution 1/1 (default)
  - do not ask to install python2-libvirt-4.2.0-1
Problem 2/2
nothing provides python2 needed by virt-manager-1.5.1-2
Solution 1/1 (default)
  - do not ask to install virt-manager-1.5.1-2

BB
Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.
ᐧ

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-01  6:32 ` Bill Sharp
From: Bill Sharp @ 2023-11-01  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jānis Ķengurs; +Cc: cygwin

On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 at 22:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that can
> fast open iso files for testing
> Downloaded on  Windows 10
> Here shows what depends on this install, but does it select all files it
> needs?
> https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/virt-manager.html
> Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for
> python2
> The error is weird- suggest to unselect, but people might not read, instead
> error should open to install separate if need to install it seperate
>
> I selected that library also but now instllation for both files asking for
> python2
> Problem 1/2
> nothing provides python2 needed by python2-libvirt-4.2.0-1
> Solution 1/1 (default)
>   - do not ask to install python2-libvirt-4.2.0-1
> Problem 2/2
> nothing provides python2 needed by virt-manager-1.5.1-2
> Solution 1/1 (default)
>   - do not ask to install virt-manager-1.5.1-2
>
> BB
> Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.
> ᐧ

Python2 was removed in July, and per Jon's announcement it was expected
this would break some orphaned packages:

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2023-July/011186.html

Kind regards
Bill

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-01  9:46   ` Adam Dinwoodie
From: Adam Dinwoodie @ 2023-11-01  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Sharp; +Cc: Jānis Ķengurs, cygwin

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 06:33, Bill Sharp via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 at 22:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that can
> > fast open iso files for testing
> > Downloaded on  Windows 10
> > Here shows what depends on this install, but does it select all files it
> > needs?
> > https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/virt-manager.html
> > Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for
> > python2
> > The error is weird- suggest to unselect, but people might not read, instead
> > error should open to install separate if need to install it seperate
> >
> > I selected that library also but now instllation for both files asking for
> > python2
> > Problem 1/2
> > nothing provides python2 needed by python2-libvirt-4.2.0-1
> > Solution 1/1 (default)
> >   - do not ask to install python2-libvirt-4.2.0-1
> > Problem 2/2
> > nothing provides python2 needed by virt-manager-1.5.1-2
> > Solution 1/1 (default)
> >   - do not ask to install virt-manager-1.5.1-2
> >
> > BB
> > Save a tree. Please don't print this e-mail unless it's really necessary.
> > ᐧ
> >

> Python2 was removed in July, and per Jon's announcement it was expected
> this would break some orphaned packages:
>
> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2023-July/011186.html

And having just had a look, it's not going to be straightforward to
release virt-manager for Python3: it has several dependencies,
including Gtk3, that are themselves not currently available for
Cygwin.

Volunteers to get that working would likely be well received! Package
maintainer basics are at http://www.cygwin.com/packages.html, although
I expect the key job would be getting the current code building on
Cygwin; once it's built and working, the packaging steps are much more
straightforward…

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-03 14:02     ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2023-11-03 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 01/11/2023 09:46, Adam Dinwoodie via Cygwin wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 at 06:33, Bill Sharp via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 at 22:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>[...]
>>
>> Python2 was removed in July, and per Jon's announcement it was expected
>> this would break some orphaned packages:
>>
>> https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2023-July/011186.html
>
> And having just had a look, it's not going to be straightforward to
> release virt-manager for Python3: it has several dependencies,
> including Gtk3, that are themselves not currently available for
> Cygwin.

I'm sure there are difficulties, but we do have gtk3 (although it might
also need updating...)

@ 2023-11-04  9:54     ` Jānis Ķengurs
From: Jānis Ķengurs @ 2023-11-04  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Dinwoodie; +Cc: Bill Sharp, cygwin

Is there alternative of installing python2 for cygwin virt-manager?
Or some light alternative to virt-manager except virtualbox?

@ 2023-11-04 10:34       ` Bill Sharp
From: Bill Sharp @ 2023-11-04 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jānis Ķengurs; +Cc: cygwin

On Sat, 4 Nov 2023 at 09:55, Jānis Ķengurs <kangarooo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there alternative of installing python2 for cygwin virt-manager?
> Or some light alternative to virt-manager except virtualbox?

Please don't top-post on this mailing list.

If you're looking for a "quick and dirty" solution to get virt-manager
running then consider the cygwin time machine:

http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html

You can use this to do a fresh install from a snapshot taken before python2
was removed.

Kind reagrds
Bill

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-04 13:19         ` Jānis Ķengurs
From: Jānis Ķengurs @ 2023-11-04 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Sharp; +Cc: cygwin

On Sat, Nov 4, 2023 at 12:35 PM Bill Sharp <bill.sharp@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're looking for a "quick and dirty" solution to get virt-manager
> running then consider the cygwin time machine:
>
> http://www.crouchingtigerhiddenfruitbat.org/Cygwin/timemachine.html
>
> You can use this to do a fresh install from a snapshot taken before
> python2 was removed.
>
> Oh, learned mailinglist.
In timemachine i tried multiple versions until 2020 and all give still same
error
Problem 1/1
nothing provides python2 needed by virt-manager-1.5.1-2
Solution 1/1 (default)
  - do not ask to install virt-manager-1.5.1-2

Maybe they download from internet packages and they are removed?
For version 2.900 it was even not downloading list of apps.

But all versions show same virt-manager versions
1.4.2-1
1.5.1-1
1.5.1-2

What would be python2 package? maybe i need to select myself and it doenst
select dependencies automatically and i cant find correct name?

@ 2023-11-06 15:49 ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-11-06 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jānis Ķengurs

On 2023-10-31 16:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:
> I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that can
> fast open iso files for testing
> Downloaded on  Windows 10

You can mount ISOs directly on linux with the loop option and module:

	https://www.howtogeek.com/168137/mount-an-iso-image-in-linux/

and on Windows directly:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-or-unmount-iso-images-windows-10

and that may make them visible in Cygwin.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-06 16:11   ` Jānis Ķengurs
From: Jānis Ķengurs @ 2023-11-06 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 5:50 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 2023-10-31 16:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:
> > I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that
> can
> > fast open iso files for testing
> > Downloaded on  Windows 10
>
> You can mount ISOs directly on linux with the loop option and module:
>
>         https://www.howtogeek.com/168137/mount-an-iso-image-in-linux/
>
> and on Windows directly:
>
> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-or-unmount-iso-images-windows-10
>
> and that may make them visible in Cygwin.
>
> --
> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>
> La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
> non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to
> add

But i cant install virt-manager to use iso files.
In it can open iso files.
I cant install virt-manager from cygwin any new or old installers, they all
download latest mirror file list and it doesnt have python2 needed for
installing virt-manager.

ᐧ

@ 2023-11-06 16:26     ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2023-11-06 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jānis Ķengurs, cygwin

On 11/6/2023 11:11 AM, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 5:50 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2023-10-31 16:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:
>>> I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that
>> can
>>> fast open iso files for testing
>>> Downloaded on  Windows 10
>>
>> You can mount ISOs directly on linux with the loop option and module:
>>
>>          https://www.howtogeek.com/168137/mount-an-iso-image-in-linux/
>>
>> and on Windows directly:
>>
>> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-or-unmount-iso-images-windows-10
>>
>> and that may make them visible in Cygwin.
>>
>> --
>> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>>
>> La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
>> non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to
>> add
>>
> But i cant install virt-manager to use iso files.
> In it can open iso files.
> I cant install virt-manager from cygwin any new or old installers, they all
> download latest mirror file list and it doesnt have python2 needed for
> installing virt-manager.

What I believe Brian was trying to tell you is that you don't have to
have virt-manager in order to mount and use ISO files under Windows.
Once the ISO drive is mounted, it should be visible to Cygwin as an
ordinary drive under /cygdrive according to its drive letter.

This does not make virt-manager work; instead it avoids the need for
it.

Regards - Eliot Moss

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-06 17:09     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2023-11-06 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jānis Ķengurs, cygwin

Greetings, Jānis Ķengurs!

>> On 2023-10-31 16:58, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:
>> > I wanted to use some KVM or Qemu or something on linux and windows that
>> can
>> > fast open iso files for testing
>> > Downloaded on  Windows 10
>>
>> You can mount ISOs directly on linux with the loop option and module:
>>
>>         https://www.howtogeek.com/168137/mount-an-iso-image-in-linux/
>>
>> and on Windows directly:
>>
>> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-or-unmount-iso-images-windows-10
>>
>> and that may make them visible in Cygwin.
>>
>> --
>> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>>
>> La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
>> non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to
>> add
>>
> But i cant install virt-manager to use iso files.

You don't need it at all to begin with.
Cygwin is a userspace library, not a kernel driver. It has access to anything
Windows system provides the easy way. Just mount ISO in the system any way you
like and it will be accessible to Cygwin with no hassle.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-06 18:03       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2023-11-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Jānis Ķengurs

On 2023-11-06 09:26, Eliot Moss via Cygwin wrote:
> On 11/6/2023 11:11 AM, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:

>>> can
>>>
>>> You can mount ISOs directly on linux with the loop option and module:
>>>
>>>          https://www.howtogeek.com/168137/mount-an-iso-image-in-linux/
>>>
>>> and on Windows directly:
>>>
>>> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-or-unmount-iso-images-windows-10
>>>
>>> and that may make them visible in Cygwin.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>>>
>>> La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
>>> non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to
>>> add
>>>
>> But i cant install virt-manager to use iso files.
>> In it can open iso files.
>> I cant install virt-manager from cygwin any new or old installers, they all
>> download latest mirror file list and it doesnt have python2 needed for
>> installing virt-manager.
>
> What I believe Brian was trying to tell you is that you don't have to
> have virt-manager in order to mount and use ISO files under Windows.
> Once the ISO drive is mounted, it should be visible to Cygwin as an
> ordinary drive under /cygdrive according to its drive letter.
>
> This does not make virt-manager work; instead it avoids the need for
> it.

Thanks Eliot,

Indeed, that is what I was trying to point out, and if by "use" you really mean
*boot* into a VM from an ISO, virt-manager is not the only way to get VMs
running, most VM hosts provide their own VMM and boot to at least install from
ISO files.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: Cant install Cygwin Virt-manager that asks for library that asks for python2
@ 2023-11-07 11:04         ` Jānis Ķengurs
From: Jānis Ķengurs @ 2023-11-07 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Nov 6, 2023 at 8:03 PM Brian Inglis <Brian.Inglis@shaw.ca> wrote:

> On 2023-11-06 09:26, Eliot Moss via Cygwin wrote:
> > On 11/6/2023 11:11 AM, Jānis Ķengurs via Cygwin wrote:

> that

> https://www.windowscentral.com/how-mount-or-unmount-iso-images-windows-10

> >> But i cant install virt-manager to use iso files.
> >> In it can open iso files.
> >> I cant install virt-manager from cygwin any new or old installers, they
> all
> >> download latest mirror file list and it doesnt have python2 needed for
> >> installing virt-manager.
> >
> > What I believe Brian was trying to tell you is that you don't have to
> > have virt-manager in order to mount and use ISO files under Windows.
> > Once the ISO drive is mounted, it should be visible to Cygwin as an
> > ordinary drive under /cygdrive according to its drive letter.
> >
> > This does not make virt-manager work; instead it avoids the need for
> > it.
>
> Thanks Eliot,
>
> Indeed, that is what I was trying to point out, and if by "use" you really
> mean
> *boot* into a VM from an ISO, virt-manager is not the only way to get VMs
> running, most VM hosts provide their own VMM and boot to at least install
> from
> ISO files.
>
> But i dont need to mount iso files, i need virt-manager to boot iso in
windows to install virtual machine and open it when i need it.
But i can boot iso with
https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/wincdemu-portable
But i need to run lxd in virt-manager to boot virtual machine from iso
installing it on virt-manager
Found also https://multipass.run/ but it only gives cli but i need
virt-manager to load iso gui.

@ 2023-12-01 22:43       ` Jānis Ķengurs