* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
       [not found] <1438727230.474852.1500993486132.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-25 18:12 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-25 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lambert, cygwin, Ken Brown

On Tue, 7/25/17, Ken Brown <> wrote:

 Subject: Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
 To: "Ian Lambert" <>, cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 9:03 AM

 On 7/25/2017 12:26 AM, Ian
 Lambert wrote:
 > On July 24, 2017
 10:58:29 PM EDT, Ken Brown <> wrote:
 >> On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via
 cygwin wrote:
 >>> This time I ran
 "rebase-trigger full", did full
 shutdown/restart,
 >> then ran
 setup.

 >>>     0 [main] nautilus 3240
 child_info_fork::abort:

 E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to
 different address:
 >> parent(0x3F0000)
 != child(0x2F0000)

 >> This kind of fork error can be very
 stubborn.  The best long-term

 solution is to switch to 64-bit Cygwin if you can.  If you
 absolutely
 >> have to stick to 32-bit,
 try to limit the number of DLLs that are
 >> installed.
 >

 > I'm using 64 bit
 cygwin already. This is a difference from the OP (It was in
 my earlier post).

 Sorry, I
 missed that.  Have you looked at the output of 'rebase
 -is'?
 Conflicts are marked with
 '*'.  What about BLODA?

= = =

I had not. It may be worth mentioning I have not found rebase
in the fine manual, even under cygwin utilities. I only find
it mentioned in forum posts, and with 4 rebase* programs
under /usr/bin, it's playing too much monte carlo games with
the install to just try those.

Obviously something is not right; here is output from "rebase -is":

rebase: failed to open rebase database "/etc/rebase.db.x86_64":
No such file or directory

"locate rebase.db" gives:
/cygdrive/e/cygwin64-3/etc/rebase.db.x86_64
so it was apparently there when running locate database updates
yesterday at ~1130-1330 (Eastern US), before doing the
"rebase-trigger full", shutdown/restart, setup.

BLODA is certainly a possibility; Symantec Protection is on the job...
It was playing well together before, but things do change.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25 18:16   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 7/25/2017 10:38 AM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>   > I'm using 64 bit
>   cygwin already. This is a difference from the OP (It was in
>   my earlier post).
>
>   Sorry, I
>   missed that.  Have you looked at the output of 'rebase
>   -is'?
>   Conflicts are marked with
>   '*'.  What about BLODA?
>
> = = =
>
> I had not. It may be worth mentioning I have not found rebase
> in the fine manual, even under cygwin utilities. I only find
> it mentioned in forum posts, and with 4 rebase* programs
> under /usr/bin, it's playing too much monte carlo games with
> the install to just try those.
> Obviously something is not right; here is output from "rebase -is":
>
> rebase: failed to open rebase database "/etc/rebase.db.x86_64":
> No such file or directory

Normally you don't ever need to think about rebasing on x86_64.  The
perpetual postinstall script /etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash
should handle everything without any manual intervention.  You might try
running that script (and the rebaselst script that it calls) line by
line (preferably in a dash shell started directly from Windows, with no
other Cygwin processes running) to see if you can figure out what's
going wrong.

> "locate rebase.db" gives:
> /cygdrive/e/cygwin64-3/etc/rebase.db.x86_64
> so it was apparently there when running locate database updates
> yesterday at ~1130-1330 (Eastern US), before doing the
> "rebase-trigger full", shutdown/restart, setup.
>
> BLODA is certainly a possibility; Symantec Protection is on the job...
> It was playing well together before, but things do change.

Ken

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25 19:57   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-25 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ian Lambert via cygwin writes:
> Obviously something is not right; here is output from "rebase -is":
>
> rebase: failed to open rebase database "/etc/rebase.db.x86_64":
> No such file or directory
>
> "locate rebase.db" gives:
> /cygdrive/e/cygwin64-3/etc/rebase.db.x86_64
> so it was apparently there when running locate database updates
> yesterday at ~1130-1330 (Eastern US), before doing the
> "rebase-trigger full", shutdown/restart, setup.

"rebase-trigger full" removes the existing rebase database and the next
run of setup.exe will recreate it from scratch.

> BLODA is certainly a possibility; Symantec Protection is on the job...
> It was playing well together before, but things do change.

You might want to exempt the Cygwin installation directory from the
real-time protections.  Endpoint Protection does inject itself (rather
two or three DLL) into an address range that is also used by Cygwin in a
lot of cases, but it depends on how exactly it's set up.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
       [not found] <1128827672.1514648.1501092281786.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-27 16:01 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-27 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Brian.Inglis

 To: cygwin
 Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 1:07 PM

 Anyway, Achim can easily fix this.

 You can fix this locally quickly using:

 $ fgrep 7001
 /usr/bin/rebase*
 /usr/bin/rebaselst:
 touch -t 7001010000  "$1"
 $ sed
 -i /7001/s//198001/ /usr/bin/rebaselst
 $
 fgrep 1980 /usr/bin/rebaselst
     touch -t
 198001010000  "$1"

 and test this fix by running
 "rebase-trigger full", shutting down everything
 Cygwin, downloading and running setup.

= = =

Yes, I did similar with vi, and it seems to have
helped a lot:

$ diff rebaselst-170726 rebaselst
98c98
<     touch -t 7001010000  "$1"
---
>     touch -t 198001010000  "$1"

A couple things still don't start
from the xdg menu - files/nautilus or gedit
for example, but most things do.

$ nautilus &
[1] 7388

$
** (nautilus:7388): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.a11y.Bus exited with status 1

(nautilus:7388): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(nautilus:7388): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_name_owner: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed
Socket /tmp/fam-myuser/fam- has wrong permissions
Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-myuser/fam-

(nautilus:7388): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:7388): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

** (nautilus:7388): WARNING **: Unable to get contents of the bookmarks file: Error opening file /home/myuser/.gtk-bookmarks: No such file or directory

(nautilus:7388): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nautilus:7388): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:7388): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nautilus:7388): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:7388): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:7388): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_call_internal: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

[1]+  Done                    nautilus

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
       [not found] <1534921570.1524318.1501093009415.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-27 14:49 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-27 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Achim Gratz

 To: cygwin
 Date: Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 1:13 PM

 Ian Lambert via cygwin writes:
 > Indeed, Cygwin is installed on a FAT32
 formatted
 > external drive, which is
 limited to 1980-01-01 on
 > the early
 end.

 Yes, that's the
 problem.  Oh well, a braindead fs, where have I seen
 that before… is there any other such system
 in use that somebody would
 want to install
 Cygwin on and what's their start of the epoch?

= = =

I suppose that's why FAT32 was used in Android phones,
is called "the most widely compatible format,"
and is often used for USB Live or install external
drives for Linux. Works great even on 32-bit devices.
 :P :D  I'll move to exFAT real soon now, but it's
also 1980+.

 > So apparently rebase has
 not been working for me

 "forever," and since pi day this year on the
 latest
 > install...

 Well, you can just touch them with something
 1980 and it will start
 working again (and
 keep working).  I'll think of what's the right fix
 in
 autorebase to implement and update and
 then it will be fixed once and
 for all.

= = =

They seemed to be retouched back to present
unless /usr/bin/rebaselst was changed to touch
1980+.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-27  2:38   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-27  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ian Lambert via cygwin writes:
> Indeed, Cygwin is installed on a FAT32 formatted
> external drive, which is limited to 1980-01-01 on
> the early end.

Yes, that's the problem.  Oh well, a braindead fs, where have I seen
that before… is there any other such system in use that somebody would
want to install Cygwin on and what's their start of the epoch?

> So apparently rebase has not been working for me
> "forever," and since pi day this year on the latest
> install...

Well, you can just touch them with something 1980 and it will start
working again (and keep working).  I'll think of what's the right fix in
autorebase to implement and update and then it will be fixed once and
for all.

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-26 18:27     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-26 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-26 17:13   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <685307372.1339085.1501078785472.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-26 17:09 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-26 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Brian.Inglis

 To: cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 8:09 PM

 Unless you are on some FAT or other legacy
 filesystem that might object to dates
 before
 1980, or some GPO, bettin' bleedin' BLODA!

= = =

@ 2017-07-26 10:28   ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-26 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-25 15:48, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
> [...]
> rebase_exe
> rebase_lst
> rebase_pkg
> rebase_user
> rebase_user_exe
>
> $ for f in * ; do echo $f ; touch -t 197901010000 $f ; done
> fullrebase.done
> touch: setting times of 'fullrebase.done': Invalid argument
> rebase_all
> touch: setting times of 'rebase_all': Invalid argument
> rebase_dyn
> touch: cannot touch 'rebase_dyn': Permission denied
> rebase_exe
> touch: cannot touch 'rebase_exe': Permission denied
> rebase_lst
> touch: cannot touch 'rebase_lst': Permission denied
> rebase_pkg
> touch: cannot touch 'rebase_pkg': Permission denied
> rebase_user
> touch: cannot touch 'rebase_user': Permission denied
> rebase_user_exe
> touch: cannot touch 'rebase_user_exe': Permission denied
>
> The "bad" part of strace of a file with write permission is:
>
>  3524 fhandler_base::utimens_fs: incoming lastaccess 0x10EDB8D0 0x0
>    86  285905 [main] touch 3524 seterrno_from_nt_status: /home/corinna/src/cygwin/cygwin-2.8.2/cygwin-2.8.2-1.x86_64/src/newlib-cygwin/winsup/cygwin/fhandler_disk_file.cc:1385 status 0xC000000D -> windows error 87
>    30  285935 [main] touch 3524 geterrno_from_win_error: windows error 87 == errno 22
>    22  285957 [main] touch 3524 futimens: -1 = futimens(0, 0xFFFFC950)
>    22  285979 [main] touch 3524 close: close(0)
>    23  286002 [main] touch 3524 fhandler_base::close: closing '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_all' handle 0x240
>   178  286180 [main] touch 3524 close: 0 = close(0)
> touch  558  286738 [main] touch 3524 write: 5 = write(2, 0xFFFFCC50, 5)
> :   47  286785 [main] touch 3524 write: 1 = write(2, 0x180229941, 1)
>     45  286830 [main] touch 3524 write: 1 = write(2, 0x180229935, 1)
> setting times of   116  286946 [main] touch 3524 write: 17 = write(2, 0x100414923, 17)
> 'rebase_all'   38  286984 [main] touch 3524 write: 12 = write(2, 0x10041C080, 12)
> :   106  287090 [main] touch 3524 write: 2 = write(2, 0x180229945, 2)
> Invalid argument   41  287131 [main] touch 3524 write: 16 = write(2, 0x180229C60, 16)
>
>   189  287320 [main] touch 3524 write: 1 = write(2, 0x1801FC9A7, 1)
>   184  287504 [main] touch 3524 close: close(1)
>    18  287522 [main] touch 3524 fhandler_base::close: closing '' handle 0x204
>    17  287539 [main] touch 3524 close: 0 = close(1)
>   211  287750 [main] touch 3524 close: close(2)
>    19  287769 [main] touch 3524 fhandler_base::close: closing '' handle 0x200
>    24  287793 [main] touch 3524 close: 0 = close(2)
>   177  287970 [main] touch 3524 do_exit: do_exit (256), exit_state 1
>    25  287995 [main] touch 3524 void: 0x0 = signal (20, 0x1)
>    19  288014 [main] touch 3524 void: 0x0 = signal (1, 0x1)

Unless you are on some FAT or other legacy filesystem that might object to dates
before 1980, or some GPO, bettin' bleedin' BLODA!

On my W10 64 NTFS filesystem:

$ touch -t 190001010000 t
$ ls -glo t
-rw-r--r--+ 1 0 Jan  1  1900 t
$ stat t
  File: t
  Size: 0               Blocks: 0          IO Block: 65536  regular empty file
Device: eaa11ae0h/3936426720d   Inode: 7599824371819426  Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (######/   xxx)   Gid: (  545/   Users)
Access: 1900-01-01 00:00:00.000000000 -0733
Modify: 1900-01-01 00:00:00.000000000 -0733
Change: 2017-07-25 18:03:17.352280200 -0600
 Birth: 2017-07-24 22:43:38.229619000 -0600

even uses 1900 LMT from TZ.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
       [not found] <1036849022.821922.1501019281615.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-26  9:50 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-26  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Brian.Inglis

 To: cygwin
 Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2017, 3:57 PM

 On 2017-07-25 12:16, Achim Gratz

@ 2017-07-26  8:16         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-26  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-26  6:49   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-26  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lambert, cygwin

On 7/25/2017 12:05 PM, Ian Lambert wrote:

> [...]
> /var/cache/rebase/fullrebase.done
> $ rebase-trigger fullrebase
> Note: _autorebase will do a full rebase the next time setup is run.
> $ rebaselst --rebuild update --cleardb rebase
> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg': Invalid argument
> Updating package information in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg.
> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst': Invalid argument
> Updating rebase information for installed executables in /var/cache/rebase/rebas
> e_exe.
> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn': Invalid argument
> Looking for dynamic language modules/libraries in:
>    /usr/lib/R/site-library
>    /usr/lib/php/20151012
>    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages
> Updating rebase information for dynamic language modules/libraries /var/cache/re
> base/rebase_dyn.
> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user': Invalid argument
> Updating rebase information for user-defined dynamic objects /var/cache/rebase/r
> ebase_user.
> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe': Invalid argument
> Updating rebase information for user-defined executables /var/cache/rebase/rebas
> e_user_exe.
> Rebasing with list /var/cache/rebase/rebase_all, built from /var/cache/rebase/re
> base_lst /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.
> $
>
> $ ls -ls /var/cache/rebase
> total 224
> 32 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users 115 Jul 25 10:50 fullrebase
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:34 rebase_all
> 32 -r--r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users  31 Jul 25 11:34 rebase_dyn
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_dyn.old
> 32 -r--r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users  31 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_exe
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_exe.old
> 32 -r--r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users  31 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_lst
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_lst.old
> 32 -r--r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users  31 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_pkg
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:33 rebase_pkg.old
> 32 -r--r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users  31 Jul 25 11:34 rebase_user
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:34 rebase_user.old
> 32 -r--r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users  31 Jul 25 11:34 rebase_user_exe
>   0 -rw-r--r-- 1 myuser Domain Users   0 Jul 25 11:34 rebase_user_exe.old

As Achim explained, the failure of 'touch' is causing rebaselst to think
that no DLLs need to be rebased.  So that failure is the real problem to
be solved.

This is a long shot, but I wonder if the touch failure is related to the
bug reported in https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2017-07/msg00114.html.  I
think the bug is supposed to be fixed in the latest snapshot.  Can you
try that snapshot and see if touch still fails?  If so, maybe you could
run the touch command under strace to see if that sheds any light.

Ken

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25 21:52   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-25 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ian Lambert via cygwin writes:
> $ rebaselst --rebuild update --cleardb rebase
> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg': Invalid argument

So why does this fail for you?  Evidently no packages to rebase were
found, most likely since their timestamps are all older than the rebase
files.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-07-25 19:19       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-25 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-25 19:01     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2017-07-25 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Ken Brown writes:
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe': Invalid argument
>
> I have no idea what would cause such error messages.  Achim, have you
> ever seen this?

No, not really.  The message seems to suggest that the file was created,
but the time can't be set (it's supposed to get set far enough into the
past so that it's before any timestamp in one of the installed files).

>>    0 [main] nautilus 3240 child_info_fork::abort: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x3F0000) != child(0x2F0000)
>>        0 [main] nautilus 3396 child_info_fork::abort: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x3F0000) != child(0x2F0000)
>>        0 [main] nautilus 5840 child_info_fork::abort: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x3F0000) != child(0x400000)
>
> This kind of fork error can be very stubborn.  The best long-term
> solution is to switch to 64-bit Cygwin if you can.  If you absolutely
> have to stick to 32-bit, try to limit the number of DLLs that are
> installed.

The only time I've ever seen such low addresses was with BLODA injecting
itself into Cygwin processes.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
       [not found] <799230527.525007.1500998733401.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-25 18:21 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-25 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Ken Brown

@ 2017-07-25 15:06       ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-25 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lambert, cygwin

On 7/25/2017 12:26 AM, Ian Lambert wrote:
> On July 24, 2017 10:58:29 PM EDT, Ken Brown <> wrote:
>> On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>>> This time I ran "rebase-trigger full", did full shutdown/restart,
>> then ran setup.
>>
>> And are you sure there were no Cygwin processes running?  This could
>> happen even after shutdown/restart if you have any Cygwin services that
>>
>> start automatically.
>

> 99 7/8% sure. Even Cron only starts for me when .bashrc is invoked, by starting mintty from an icon.
>

>>>     0 [main] nautilus 3240 child_info_fork::abort:
>> E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address:
>> parent(0x3F0000) != child(0x2F0000)
>
>> This kind of fork error can be very stubborn.  The best long-term
>> solution is to switch to 64-bit Cygwin if you can.  If you absolutely
>> have to stick to 32-bit, try to limit the number of DLLs that are
>> installed.
>

> I'm using 64 bit cygwin already. This is a difference from the OP (It was in my earlier post).

Sorry, I missed that.  Have you looked at the output of 'rebase -is'?
Conflicts are marked with '*'.  What about BLODA?

Ken

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-07-25 14:13       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-25 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-24 20:58, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>> This time I ran "rebase-trigger full", did full shutdown/restart, then ran setup.
>
> And are you sure there were no Cygwin processes running?  This could happen even
> after shutdown/restart if you have any Cygwin services that start automatically.
>
>> and some rebase-related touch error messages in setup.log.full:
>>
>>   2017/07/24 17:24:08 running: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\dash.exe
>> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
>> Note: _autorebase will do a full rebase the next time setup is run.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg': Invalid argument
>> Updating package information in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for installed executables in
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_exe.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn': Invalid argument
>> Looking for dynamic language modules/libraries in:
>>    /usr/lib/R/site-library
>>    /usr/lib/php/20151012
>>    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>>    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages
>> Updating rebase information for dynamic language modules/libraries
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for user-defined dynamic objects
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe': Invalid argument
rebaselst uses touch -t 7001010000 ... - could be patched to 197001010000.
Is this affected by locale and by Windows regional date settings in Control
Panel/Region/Formats tab/Additional settings... button/Date tab/Calendar
group/When a two-digit year is entered, interpret it as a year between
|(nnnn-99)| and [nnnn ^v] with the default values |1980| and [2079 ^v] i.e. from
the start of the DOS epoch which postdates the Unix epoch 19700101, and could
cause 70 to be interpreted as 2070.

I have nnnn set to 1999 so (nnnn-99) is |1900|, and dates from 2000 must be
entered as 4 digit dates, as I figure recent programs should know better, and
there is too much scope for confusion and misinterpretation of all date
components in the the first twelve years of this century, as well as the first
twelve days of every month of every year, unless the date format is known a priori.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25 13:03       ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-25 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-24 20:58, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>> This time I ran "rebase-trigger full", did full shutdown/restart, then ran setup.
>
> And are you sure there were no Cygwin processes running?  This could happen even
> after shutdown/restart if you have any Cygwin services that start automatically.
>
>> and some rebase-related touch error messages in setup.log.full:
>>
>>   2017/07/24 17:24:08 running: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\dash.exe
>> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
>> Note: _autorebase will do a full rebase the next time setup is run.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg': Invalid argument
>> Updating package information in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for installed executables in
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_exe.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn': Invalid argument
>> Looking for dynamic language modules/libraries in:
>>    /usr/lib/R/site-library
>>    /usr/lib/php/20151012
>>    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>>    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages
>> Updating rebase information for dynamic language modules/libraries
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for user-defined dynamic objects
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe': Invalid argument
rebaselst uses touch -t 7001010000 ... - could be patched to 197001010000.
Is this affected by locale and by Windows regional date settings in Control
Panel/Region/Formats tab/Additional settings... button/Date tab/Calendar
group/When a two-digit year is entered, interpret it as a year between
|(nnnn-99)| and [nnnn ^v] with the default values |1980| and [2079 ^v] i.e. from
the start of the DOS epoch which postdates the Unix epoch 19700101, and could
cause 70 to be interpreted as 2070.

I have nnnn set to 1999 so (nnnn-99) is |1900|, and dates from 2000 must be
entered as 4 digit dates, as I figure recent programs should know better, and
there is too much scope for confusion and misinterpretation of all date
components in the the first twelve years of this century, as well as the first
twelve days of every month of every year, unless the date format is known a priori.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25 11:57       ` Brian Inglis
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-25 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-24 20:58, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>> This time I ran "rebase-trigger full", did full shutdown/restart, then ran setup.
>
> And are you sure there were no Cygwin processes running?  This could happen even
> after shutdown/restart if you have any Cygwin services that start automatically.
>
>> and some rebase-related touch error messages in setup.log.full:
>>
>>   2017/07/24 17:24:08 running: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\dash.exe
>> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
>> Note: _autorebase will do a full rebase the next time setup is run.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg': Invalid argument
>> Updating package information in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for installed executables in
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_exe.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn': Invalid argument
>> Looking for dynamic language modules/libraries in:
>>    /usr/lib/R/site-library
>>    /usr/lib/php/20151012
>>    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>>    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages
>> Updating rebase information for dynamic language modules/libraries
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for user-defined dynamic objects
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe': Invalid argument
rebaselst uses touch -t 7001010000 ... - could be patched to 197001010000.
Is this affected by locale and by Windows regional date settings in Control
Panel/Region/Formats tab/Additional settings... button/Date tab/Calendar
group/When a two-digit year is entered, interpret it as a year between
|(nnnn-99)| and [nnnn ^v] with the default values |1980| and [2079 ^v] i.e. from
the start of the DOS epoch which postdates the Unix epoch 19700101, and could
cause 70 to be interpreted as 2070.

I have nnnn set to 1999 so (nnnn-99) is |1900|, and dates from 2000 must be
entered as 4 digit dates, as I figure recent programs should know better, and
there is too much scope for confusion and misinterpretation of all date
components in the the first twelve years of this century, as well as the first
twelve days of every month of every year, unless the date format is known a priori.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25 10:17       ` Brian Inglis
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-25 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 2017-07-24 20:58, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>> This time I ran "rebase-trigger full", did full shutdown/restart, then ran setup.
>
> And are you sure there were no Cygwin processes running?  This could happen even
> after shutdown/restart if you have any Cygwin services that start automatically.
>
>> and some rebase-related touch error messages in setup.log.full:
>>
>>   2017/07/24 17:24:08 running: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\dash.exe
>> "/etc/postinstall/0p_000_autorebase.dash"
>> Note: _autorebase will do a full rebase the next time setup is run.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg': Invalid argument
>> Updating package information in /var/cache/rebase/rebase_pkg.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_lst': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for installed executables in
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_exe.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn': Invalid argument
>> Looking for dynamic language modules/libraries in:
>>    /usr/lib/R/site-library
>>    /usr/lib/php/20151012
>>    /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>>    /usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages
>> Updating rebase information for dynamic language modules/libraries
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_dyn.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user': Invalid argument
>> Updating rebase information for user-defined dynamic objects
>> /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user.
>> removing /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> creating empty /var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe
>> touch: setting times of '/var/cache/rebase/rebase_user_exe': Invalid argument
rebaselst uses touch -t 7001010000 ... - could be patched to 197001010000.
Is this affected by locale and by Windows regional date settings in Control
Panel/Region/Formats tab/Additional settings... button/Date tab/Calendar
group/When a two-digit year is entered, interpret it as a year between
|(nnnn-99)| and [nnnn ^v] with the default values |1980| and [2079 ^v] i.e. from
the start of the DOS epoch which postdates the Unix epoch 19700101, and could
cause 70 to be interpreted as 2070.

I have nnnn set to 1999 so (nnnn-99) is |1900|, and dates from 2000 must be
entered as 4 digit dates, as I figure recent programs should know better, and
there is too much scope for confusion and misinterpretation of all date
components in the the first twelve years of this century, as well as the first
twelve days of every month of every year, unless the date format is known a priori.

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25  5:21     ` Brian Inglis
                         ` (4 more replies)
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-25  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-25  4:55     ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-25  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Ken Brown

On July 24, 2017 10:58:29 PM EDT, Ken Brown <> wrote:
>On 7/24/2017 6:08 PM, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
>> This time I ran "rebase-trigger full", did full shutdown/restart,
>then ran setup.
>
>And are you sure there were no Cygwin processes running?  This could
>happen even after shutdown/restart if you have any Cygwin services that
>
>start automatically.

99 7/8% sure. Even Cron only starts for me when .bashrc is invoked, by starting mintty from an icon.

>>    0 [main] nautilus 3240 child_info_fork::abort:
>E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address:
>parent(0x3F0000) != child(0x2F0000)

>This kind of fork error can be very stubborn.  The best long-term
>solution is to switch to 64-bit Cygwin if you can.  If you absolutely
>have to stick to 32-bit, try to limit the number of DLLs that are
>installed.

I'm using 64 bit cygwin already. This is a difference from the OP (It was in my earlier post).

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25  4:27   ` Ken Brown
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-25  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-25  2:16           ` mike
From: mike @ 2017-07-25  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 24/07/2017 18:02, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 13:18, mike wrote:

>>> May have run out of DLL address space.
>>> Run "rebase-trigger full", shut down everything Cygwin, download and run
>>> setup-x86, then check /var/log/setup.log.full for rebase problems.
>>>
>> I wasn't running anything Cygwin when I ran setup-x86.exe on the 21st.  I've
>> attached /var/log/setup.log.full.  There is no occurrence of the word rebase
> The log indicates it only downloaded the mirror list and setup.ini and updated
> nothing. That's why you should run "rebase-trigger full" then run setup-x86.

Could you please then tell me how to do that?  I should point out that
almost every time (or maybe every time) I've tried to update Cygwin in
the past (going back quite a long way) some part of the
post-installation scripts fails and I have to run setup-x86.exe again
and then it finishes properly.

Thanks, Mike

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-25  0:03   ` mike
From: mike @ 2017-07-25  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 24/07/2017 23:08, Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, 7/24/17, Ken Brown <> wrote:
>
>   Subject: Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
>   To: "Ian Lambert" <>, cygwin@cygwin.com
>   Date: Monday, July 24, 2017, 3:51 PM
>
>   On 7/24/2017 12:08 PM, Ian
>   Lambert wrote:
>   > On Sun, 7/23/17, Ken
>   Brown <> wrote:
>   >   Yes, there was
>   a change about
>   >   two years ago.  I
>   suspect you have a
>   >   .startxwinrc that
>   uses fbpanel instead of
>   >
>   xwin-xdg-menu.  See
>   >
>   >      https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html
>   >
>   >   Ken,
>   >
>   >
>   > I have a relatively new install, since pi
>   day 2017, and no .startxwinrc.
>   >
>   > I had something similar Thursday 7/20/17
>   afternoon, after running updates
>   > for
>   Windows security, and Cygwin.
>
>   Mike's description of his problem suggests
>   that he was using fbpanel.
>   He refers to an
>   icon at the top middle of the screen, not the
>   xwin-xdg-icon in the notification area.  Your
>   description is different,
>   and at least one
>   of your error messages (gedit 8876
>   child_info_fork::abort:...) sounds like a
>   rebase issue.
>
>   Ken

It's not a .startxwinrc problem because I don't have one.  Also I was
trying to access the apps from the notification area I just wasn't
calling it the right thing.  I wasn't trying to access anything by the
very top icon.  In the notification area among other things you can get
an XDG Menu.

Thanks, Mike

       [not found] <1783227004.4348461.1500934105434.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-24 22:49 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-24 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Ken Brown

 To: "Ian Lambert" <>, cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Monday, July 24, 2017, 3:51 PM

 Brown <> wrote:
 >   Yes, there was
 a change about
 >   two years ago.  I
 suspect you have a

@ 2017-07-24 20:22   ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-24 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Lambert, cygwin

       [not found] <472748733.4076472.1500916852092.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-24 19:46 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-24 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 To: cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Monday, July 24, 2017, 1:02 PM

 On 2017-07-23 13:18, mike
 2017.07.23 08:32, mike wrote:

 installation on the 21st or 22nd of July 2017.  I run
 Win 7 Pro.  If I launch the Cygwin Xwin Server I
 top middle of the screen and can then go into the
 on the Cygwin icon and get a list of categories of
 apparently launch because if I try to launch some and
 click on the aforementioned icon and select quit
 running and do I want to close them.  The problem is
 through the icons menu doesn't display anywhere and
 in
 doesn't appear in the task bar.  I have read the FAQ
 and UG but
 find what I'm looking for.  It definitely seems to me
 that the
 changed since before I updated.

 me what I am doing wrong?  I would be very grateful
 advance.

 are trying to launch are actually installed?  You
 terminal (not through the X icon) and
 DISPLAY=0:0" and then try to launch one of the apps
 from
 see any errors.

 >>> All I did was download
 setup-x86.exe on the 21st, run it and when presented with
 >>> the drop down View list used
 Pending (by default) and then clicked Next etc.  If
 >>> I switch to Up To Date when
 presented with the drop down View list it does
 >>> indeed show that everything
 I've tried to run is installed.  I must have
 >>> hundreds of packages installed.
 I did that last year intentionally.  I selected
 >>> packages to install by Category
 and then installed the entire Categories. That's
 >>> what I'm saying all this stuff
 used to just work and now it just doesn't so I'm
 >>> either completely missing the
 obvious or else it really seems like something is
 >>> wrong with my installation or the
 behaviour has changed.  If I'm just missing
 >>> the obvious then please just tell
 me where I'm going wrong.

 >>> I do
 not want to uninstall everything and then re-install because
 I have no
 >>> confidence that that
 will solve the problem.  To repeat the Cygwin/X icon is
 >>> there and the menu is there.  The
 packages that I am most immediately interested
 >>> in are the Cygwin Emacs packages
 which are clearly in the Up To Date list.  If
 >>> the packages aren't installed
 then why would they show up in the menu?  If I
 >>> look in C:\cygwin\bin I can see
 among others emacsclient-nox.exe,
 >>> emacsclient-X11.exe, emacs-nox.exe
 and emacs-X11.exe so they're installed right?
 >> May have run out of DLL address
 space.
 >> Run "rebase-trigger
 full", shut down everything Cygwin, download and run
 >> setup-x86, then check
 /var/log/setup.log.full for rebase problems.

 > I wasn't
 running anything Cygwin when I ran setup-x86.exe on the
 21st.  I've
 > attached
 /var/log/setup.log.full.  There is no occurrence of the
 word rebase
 The log indicates it only
 downloaded the mirror list and setup.ini and updated
 nothing. That's why you should run
 "rebase-trigger full" then run setup-x86.

 --
 Take care.
 Thanks, Brian Inglis, Calgary, Alberta, Canada

> you should run "rebase-trigger full" then run setup-x86.

Didn't seem to help for me.

(Resend:)

I have a relatively new install, since pi day 2017, and no .startxwinrc.

I had something similar Thursday 7/20/17 afternoon, after running updates
for Windows security, and Cygwin.

$ startxwin & would get the icon with menu, but selecting xterm would not
display an xterm. This is often all I use with Cygwin menu.

A couple restarts and runs of setup without any updates didn't help.

After a complete shutdown over a 3-day weekend, and another cygwin setup/update today,
startxwin & xterm from menu click worked OK.
So I was relieved, but also, I suppose, glad to not be the only one, maybe.

Some other things do not work right.

Windows 7 Enterprise, SP1; 64 bit Cygwin.
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 MYPCNAME 2.8.2(0.313/5/3) 2017-07-12 10:58 x86_64 Cygwin

Aside from the usual:

xterm: cannot load font "-Misc-Fixed-bold-R-*-*-13-120-75-75-C-120-ISO10646-1"
xterm: cannot load font "-Misc-Fixed-bold-R-*-*-13-120-75-75-C-120-ISO10646-1"
xterm: cannot load font "-Misc-Fixed-bold-R-*-*-13-120-75-75-C-120-ISO10646-1"

I am now seeing things in the mintty console like:

SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0x6055c
OS has icon alpha channel support: yes
SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0x11071a
SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0x1b0740
SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0xc0746
SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0xc0560
SetupSysMenu: GetSystemMenu() failed for HWND 0x200746

Calculator, galculator, gvim, nedit work OK from the menu click

However,

files (nautilus), gedit, leafpad do not start from menu click

leafpad from command line starts OK, and exits without errors to console.

gedit eventually starts from command line, but is not happy,
giving errors:

** (gedit:6788): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.a11y.Bus exited with status 1

(gedit:6788): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(gedit:6788): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_name_owner: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed

(gedit:6788): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(gedit:6788): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
      0 [main] gedit 8876 child_info_fork::abort: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x2F0000) != child(0x300000)

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-myuser/fam-

when closing:

(gedit:6788): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

Simlar messages for nautilus:

** (nautilus:8640): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.a11y.Bus exited with status 1

(nautilus:8640): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(nautilus:8640): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_name_owner: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed
      0 [main] nautilus 8520 child_info_fork::abort: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygatk-bridge-2.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x340000) != child(0x310000)

Failed to connect to socket /tmp/fam-myuser/fam-

(nautilus:8640): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:8640): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

** (nautilus:8640): WARNING **: Unable to get contents of the bookmarks file: Error opening file /home/myuser/.gtk-bookmarks: No such file or directory

(nautilus:8640): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nautilus:8640): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
      0 [main] nautilus 7764 child_info_fork::abort: E:\cygwin64-3\bin\cygpangocairo-1.0-0.dll: Loaded to different address: parent(0x2F0000) != child(0x500000)

(nautilus:8640): GnomeDesktop-WARNING **: Error creating thumbnail for file:///home/myuser/dppl2f.dat: Unrecognized image file format

(nautilus:8640): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:8640): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(nautilus:8640): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_set: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(nautilus:8640): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_connection_call_internal: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

 --
 Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
 FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
       [not found] <949225432.4024000.1500912514455.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2017-07-24 18:07 ` Ian Lambert via cygwin
From: Ian Lambert via cygwin @ 2017-07-24 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, Ken Brown

 To: cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Sunday, July 23, 2017, 5:18 PM

@ 2017-07-24 17:31         ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-24 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-23 22:46 ` Ken Brown
From: Ken Brown @ 2017-07-23 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-23 19:46       ` mike
From: mike @ 2017-07-23 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 23/07/2017 19:14, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2017-07-23 11:39, mike wrote:

>>> Are you sure those apps you are trying to launch are actually installed?  You
>>> could always bring up a Cygwin terminal (not through the X icon) and
>>> explicitly "export DISPLAY=0:0" and then try to launch one of the apps from
>>> the command line to see any errors.
>>>
>>> Jack
>> All I did was download setup-x86.exe on the 21st, run it and when presented with
>> the drop down View list used Pending (by default) and then clicked Next etc.  If
>> I switch to Up To Date when presented with the drop down View list it does
>> indeed show that everything I've tried to run is installed.  I must have
>> hundreds of packages installed.  I did that last year intentionally.  I selected
>> packages to install by Category and then installed the entire Categories. That's
>> what I'm saying all this stuff used to just work and now it just doesn't so I'm
>> either completely missing the obvious or else it really seems like something is
>> wrong with my installation or the behaviour has changed.  If I'm just missing
>> the obvious then please just tell me where I'm going wrong.
>>
>> I do not want to uninstall everything and then re-install because I have no
>> confidence that that will solve the problem.  To repeat the Cygwin/X icon is
>> there and the menu is there.  The packages that I am most immediately interested
>> in are the Cygwin Emacs packages which are clearly in the Up To Date list.  If
>> the packages aren't installed then why would they show up in the menu?  If I
>> look in C:\cygwin\bin I can see among others emacsclient-nox.exe,
>> emacsclient-X11.exe, emacs-nox.exe and emacs-X11.exe so they're installed right?
> May have run out of DLL address space.
> Run "rebase-trigger full", shut down everything Cygwin, download and run
> setup-x86, then check /var/log/setup.log.full for rebase problems.

I wasn't running anything Cygwin when I ran setup-x86.exe on the 21st.
I've attached /var/log/setup.log.full.  There is no occurrence of the
word rebase.

Thanks, Mike

--
I *AM* a unique and special snowflake

[-- Attachment #2: setup.log.full --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1055 bytes --]

2017/07/21 16:02:33 Starting cygwin install, version 2.881
2017/07/21 16:02:33 User has backup/restore rights
2017/07/21 16:02:34 Current Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
2017/07/21 16:02:34 Could not open service McShield for query, start and stop. McAfee may not be installed, or we don't have access.
2017/07/21 16:02:40 source: network install
2017/07/21 16:02:42 root: C:\cygwin system
2017/07/21 16:02:44 Selected local directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox
2017/07/21 16:02:46 net: Direct
Loaded cached mirror list
Request for URL http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst satisfied from cache
Fetched URL: http://cygwin.com/mirrors.lst
2017/07/21 16:02:49 site: ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cygwin/
Fetched URL: ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cygwin/x86/setup.xz.sig
Fetched URL: ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/cygwin/x86/setup.xz
compress_xz::bid_xz: success: 48
compress_xz::bid_xz: success: 48
INSTALLED.DB version 3
.ini setup_version is 2.881, our setup_version is 2.881
2017/07/21 16:03:19 Ending cygwin install

* Re: how to access and display apps that I've launched
@ 2017-07-23 19:18     ` Brian Inglis
From: Brian Inglis @ 2017-07-23 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2017-07-23 18:14   ` mike
From: mike @ 2017-07-23 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 23/07/2017 16:58, Jack wrote:
> On 2017.07.23 08:32, mike wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I updated my Cywin installation on the 21st or 22nd of July 2017.  I
>> run 32-bit Cygwin/X on 64-bit Win 7 Pro.  If I launch the Cygwin Xwin
>> Server I get the icon at the very top middle of the screen and can
>> then go into the icons menu and right click on the Cygwin icon and
>> get a list of categories of applications to run and apparently launch
>> because if I try to launch some and wait long enough and right click
>> on the aforementioned icon and select quit it says there are N apps
>> running and do I want to close them.  The problem is that anything I
>> launch through the icons menu doesn't display anywhere and in
>> particular doesn't appear in the task bar.  I have read the FAQ and
>> UG but can't find what I'm looking for.  It definitely seems to me
>> that the behaviour has changed since before I updated.
>>
>> Can somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong?  I would be very
>> grateful for any help.  Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Are you sure those apps you are trying to launch are actually
> installed?  You could always bring up a Cygwin terminal (not through
> the X icon) and explicitly "export DISPLAY=0:0" and then try to launch
> one of the apps from the command line to see any errors.
>
> Jack

All I did was download setup-x86.exe on the 21st, run it and when
presented with the drop down View list used Pending (by default) and
then clicked Next etc.  If I switch to Up To Date when presented with
the drop down View list it does indeed show that everything I've tried
to run is installed.  I must have hundreds of packages installed.  I did
that last year intentionally.  I selected packages to install by
Category and then installed the entire Categories. That's what I'm
saying all this stuff used to just work and now it just doesn't so I'm
either completely missing the obvious or else it really seems like
something is wrong with my installation or the behaviour has changed.
If I'm just missing the obvious then please just tell me where I'm going
wrong.

I do not want to uninstall everything and then re-install because I have
no confidence that that will solve the problem.  To repeat the Cygwin/X
icon is there and the menu is there.  The packages that I am most
immediately interested in are the Cygwin Emacs packages which are
clearly in the Up To Date list.  If the packages aren't installed then
why would they show up in the menu?  If I look in C:\cygwin\bin I can
see among others emacsclient-nox.exe, emacsclient-X11.exe, emacs-nox.exe
and emacs-X11.exe so they're installed right?

Thank you.

Mike

@ 2017-07-23 17:39 ` Jack
From: Jack @ 2017-07-23 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)