public inbox for frysk@sourceware.org
* Re: frysk-top ChangeLog
       [not found] <20070710160014.27101.qmail@sourceware.org>
@ 2007-07-11  9:54 ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2007-07-11  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frysk; +Cc: cagney

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 16:00 +0000, cagney@sourceware.org wrote:
> Log message:
> 	Remove stray changelog entry.x
>
> Patches:
> http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/frysk-top/ChangeLog.diff?cvsroot=frysk&r1=1.87&r2=1.88

Why did you remove my ChangeLog entry? I explicitly put that there to
document the change and because other ChangeLog entries for htdocs
related files also went into that file. If you feel they are better
documented in some other ChangeLog file please just tell me instead of
silently removing patches so I know why/where I should document these
things.

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: frysk-top ChangeLog
@ 2007-07-11 13:34   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-11 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wielaard; +Cc: frysk, cagney

htdocs do not have changelogs entries; they never have.

Something more interesting is why htdocs do not get posted to frysk-cvs;
I'm investigating.

Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 16:00 +0000, cagney@sourceware.org wrote:
>
>> Log message:
>> 	Remove stray changelog entry.x
>>
>> Patches:
>> http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/frysk-top/ChangeLog.diff?cvsroot=frysk&r1=1.87&r2=1.88
>>

> Why did you remove my ChangeLog entry? I explicitly put that there to
> document the change and because other ChangeLog entries for htdocs
> related files also went into that file. If you feel they are better
> documented in some other ChangeLog file please just tell me instead of
> silently removing patches so I know why/where I should document these
> things.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

* Re: frysk-top ChangeLog
@ 2007-07-11 13:47     ` Kris Van Hees
From: Kris Van Hees @ 2007-07-11 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: Mark Wielaard, frysk, cagney

This brings up the question: why don't htdocs have changelog entries?  I
can't see a good reason against having them, and there are benefits to
having changelog entries for this stuff, either way.

I also have to second Mark's opinion that simply removing his entry
rather than talking about it seems a bit harsh.  Obviously, Mark did
feel that there was a good reason to have a changelog entry for the
patch he commited.  That alone should be enough reason to make this a
matter to discuss.

	Cheers,
	Kris

On Wed, Jul 11, 2007 at 09:34:11AM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> htdocs do not have changelogs entries; they never have.
>
> Something more interesting is why htdocs do not get posted to frysk-cvs;
> I'm investigating.
>
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> >Hi Andrew,
> >
> >On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 16:00 +0000, cagney@sourceware.org wrote:
> >
> >>Log message:
> >>	Remove stray changelog entry.x
> >>
> >>Patches:
> >>http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/frysk-top/ChangeLog.diff?cvsroot=frysk&r1=1.87&r2=1.88
> >>

> >Why did you remove my ChangeLog entry? I explicitly put that there to
> >document the change and because other ChangeLog entries for htdocs
> >related files also went into that file. If you feel they are better
> >documented in some other ChangeLog file please just tell me instead of
> >silently removing patches so I know why/where I should document these
> >things.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mark

* Re: frysk-top ChangeLog
@ 2007-07-11 14:38       ` Mark Wielaard
From: Mark Wielaard @ 2007-07-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Van Hees; +Cc: Andrew Cagney, frysk

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 06:47 -0700, Kris Van Hees wrote:
> This brings up the question: why don't htdocs have changelog entries?  I
> can't see a good reason against having them, and there are benefits to
> having changelog entries for this stuff, either way.
>
> Obviously, Mark did feel that there was a good reason to have a
> changelog entry for the patch he commited.

To be honest I was just following what others do. As far as I know
htdocs changes are documented in the ChangeLog file since that is how I
found out where to document them. I also don't see much reason not to
have them. I was just surprised mine got deleted without any comment.

Cheers,

Mark

* Re: frysk-top ChangeLog
@ 2007-07-11 15:12       ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2007-07-11 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Van Hees; +Cc: Mark Wielaard, frysk, cagney

Remember, this web-only information is already available on the web via CVS.

Mark is right though, there are a few other stray change-log entries,
I'll clean that up; and add a trap to ensure that any extra changelog
entries don't stray into that top-level ChangeLog file.

Andrew