public inbox for gcc-prs@sourceware.org
* Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
@ 2002-12-12  8:12 reichelt
From: reichelt @ 2002-12-12  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: felix-gcc, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->open
State-Changed-By: reichelt
State-Changed-When: Thu Dec 12 08:12:04 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    Might be still an ABI issue, given the fact that
    the problems arose between gcc 3.1.1 and 3.2.
    Maybe Qt makes some assumptions about the ABI
    which do not hold any more, but that's just a wild guess.

http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8889

* Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
@ 2002-12-16 17:26 Zack Weinberg
From: Zack Weinberg @ 2002-12-16 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Zack Weinberg <zack@codesourcery.com>
To: Felix von Leitner <felix-gcc@fefe.de>
Cc: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:25:09 -0800

 Felix von Leitner <felix-gcc@fefe.de> writes:

 > I made a bug report and you refuse to even make a feeble attempt to
 > reproduce it.  Instead you first claim that it's an ABI problem (which
 > is not and I wrote that), then you claim you need more information (you
 > don't, I included everything that is necessary to reproduce the problem)
 > and then you claim that I withhold necessary information.

 As a matter of project policy, the GCC team expects you to do more of
 the work of isolating the bug.  I would like to draw your attention to
 http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html, which clearly states that you are
 expected to provide a self-contained, already preprocessed, as small
 as feasible, source file which is being miscompiled, along with an
 explanation of what it is supposed to do and what it does instead.

 We make this requirement because our experience is that, in a
 circumstance such as yours, we would be unable to reproduce the bug by
 downloading the software packages you mentioned and compiling them
 ourselves.  Tiny differences in system headers, for instance, can
 perturb the bug out of manifesting.  We would then have wasted a great
 deal of effort.

 zw

* Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
@ 2002-12-16 17:06 Felix von Leitner
From: Felix von Leitner @ 2002-12-16 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Felix von Leitner <felix-gcc@fefe.de>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 01:57:15 +0100

 Thus spake bangerth@dealii.org (bangerth@dealii.org):
 > State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 16 16:08:37 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     I refuse to work on PRs where I am discriminated against
 >     for my nationality (which the reporter mistakenly assumed
 >     to be different from his own), and I think that in general
 >     gcc is not the place for insult.

 I made a bug report and you refuse to even make a feeble attempt to
 reproduce it.  Instead you first claim that it's an ABI problem (which
 is not and I wrote that), then you claim you need more information (you
 don't, I included everything that is necessary to reproduce the problem)
 and then you claim that I withhold necessary information.

 As if this travesty is not enough, now you feel discriminated against?

 Is nobody here interested in whether the latest gcc release actually
 miscompiles the most widely used C++ toolkit (Qt) on the most widely
 used gcc platform (x86-linux) using the recommended flags?

 What is the bug report form good for, then?

 Is this a technical bug tracking and removal instrument or the personal
 playground of some "I don't have the time to try to reproduce your bug,
 but maybe you could try running ldd again" weenies?

 Sheesh.  I could care less whether Mr bangerth here has the time to try
 and reproduce my bug report.  But I do care whether he sabotages gcc by
 closing open bugs he did not even try to reproduce!

 Felix

* Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
@ 2002-12-16 16:08 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-16 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: felix-gcc, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

Synopsis: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt

State-Changed-From-To: feedback->closed
State-Changed-By: bangerth
State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 16 16:08:37 2002
State-Changed-Why:
    I refuse to work on PRs where I am discriminated against
    for my nationality (which the reporter mistakenly assumed
    to be different from his own), and I think that in general
    gcc is not the place for insult.

    I thus take the liberty to close this PR. If someone should
    have the strong urge to work on this anyway, please feel
    free to reopen it.

@ 2002-12-16 16:06 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:58:47 -0600 (CST)

From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 18:00:36 -0600 (CST)

From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-16 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:16:12 -0600 (CST)

From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2002-12-16 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wolfgang Bangerth <bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu>
To: Felix von Leitner <felix-gcc@fefe.de>
Cc: bangerth@dealii.org, <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>, <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:01:29 -0600 (CST)

 I'm giving up.

 > It should be a trivial exercise to try to reproduce my problem.
 > [...]
 >
 > >     On my system, these libraries all contain no C++ symbols,
 > >     except libstdc++, of course, but you should repeat this
 > >     with the executables/libraries that fail for you.
 >
 > No, I shouldn't.
 > These are no obscure projects from some Joe Schmoe.  I used standard
 > packages and default flags.  It ought to be a matter of seconds to find
 > someone in the gcc team who compiled these packages with the current
 > gcc.
 > [...]
 >
 > And before someone asks: no, I am not overclocking my machine.
 > I am not using unstable or CVS versions of anything.
 > I just want to run a system using the latest version of each of the
 > major packages, including binutils, gcc, glibc and Qt.  That ought to be
 > possible, right?  I mean, come on, Qt is the most important C++ project!
 > For many people it is the only reason to install C++ support at all!
 >
 > Are you telling me that noone has compiled Qt with the current gcc and
 > binutils yet?

 I'm not telling you anything except for this: gcc is in most part a
 volunteer project. Nobody's paying me for the work, and you can't force me
 to do something. If you don't want to cooperate and try to provide more
 information, that's fine with me, but don't insult me.

 It's not reasonable to ask me to build Qt+KDE with a new compiler just to
 experience "that it does not work". We need more information to figure out
 what goes wrong. If you don't want to provide it -- fine.

 I leave this report in feedback state. This way either someone else will
 look at it, or someone (possibly me) will close it in 3 months time since
 no reasonable feedback is forthcoming.

 Regards
   Wolfgang

 Wolfgang Bangerth              email:           bangerth@ticam.utexas.edu
                                www: http://www.ticam.utexas.edu/~bangerth

* Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
@ 2002-12-16 12:56 Felix von Leitner
From: Felix von Leitner @ 2002-12-16 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Felix von Leitner <felix-gcc@fefe.de>
To: bangerth@dealii.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 21:53:39 +0100

 Thus spake bangerth@dealii.org (bangerth@dealii.org):
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 > State-Changed-By: bangerth
 > State-Changed-When: Mon Dec 16 11:26:23 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     I'm still leaning with Volker's ABI theory. What one
 >     would need to check is what libraries Qt actually pulls
 >     in. For example, on my system these are:
 >     tmp/g> ldd /usr/lib/libqt.so.3
 >             libpng.so.2 => /usr/lib/libpng.so.2 (0x40618000)
 >             libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x40649000)
 >             libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x40658000)
 >             libXmu.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXmu.so.6 (0x4080f000)
 >             libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x40826000)
 >             libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x4083e000)
 >             libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40848000)
 >             libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x4084c000)
 >             libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x4085a000)
 >             libXrender.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1 (0x4091a000)
 >             libXft.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXft.so.1 (0x40920000)
 >             libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (0x4094a000)
 >             libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 => /usr/lib/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 (0x4098a000)
 >             libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x409d7000)
 >             libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x409fa000)
 >             libXt.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6 (0x40b22000)
 >             libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x40b70000)
 >             /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x80000000)

 As you noted yourself, the only relevant library is libstdc++, which in
 this listing obviously is the wrong one.  In my case it's libstdc++.so.5.
 Please compile Qt yourself with gcc 3.2.1 and see if you can reproduce
 the problem.  That should be the first prudent cause of action, I think.

 Has anyone ever successfully compiled Qt 3.1 with g++ 3.2.1?
 I use glibc 2.2.5 because the current glibc 2.3 versions all dump core
 in the compilation process (I opened a glibc bug for this).
 I used the default Qt options and I used the cxa atexit switch that is
 recommended in the gcc web pages for 100% ABI compliance.

 It should be a trivial exercise to try to reproduce my problem.  I'm not
 using some obscure platform or anything.  Just default or recommended
 flags for the involved major packages.  If anyone else was able to
 successfully compile these packages, that would be enough for me.  No
 need to tell me to look for stuff I already looked at.

 >     On my system, these libraries all contain no C++ symbols,
 >     except libstdc++, of course, but you should repeat this
 >     with the executables/libraries that fail for you.

 No, I shouldn't.
 These are no obscure projects from some Joe Schmoe.  I used standard
 packages and default flags.  It ought to be a matter of seconds to find
 someone in the gcc team who compiled these packages with the current
 gcc.  I assumed these packages are important enough to be on the
 pre-release build process anyway.

@ 2002-12-16 11:26 bangerth
From: bangerth @ 2002-12-16 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: felix-gcc, gcc-bugs, gcc-prs, nobody

[...]

    Please understand that we do not want to push away
    responsibility for possible bugs to you, but that simple
    the problem you describe is so vague, and the piece of
    code in which it happens so large, that there is about
    no way for us to track this problem down. So we just
    try to eliminate the simple problems first.

    Regards
      Wolfgang

@ 2002-12-12  7:06 Felix von Leitner
From: Felix von Leitner @ 2002-12-12  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nobody; +Cc: gcc-prs

The following reply was made to PR c++/8889; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Felix von Leitner <felix-gcc@fefe.de>
To: reichelt@igpm.rwth-aachen.de, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:05:24 +0100

 > Synopsis: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt

 > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 > State-Changed-By: reichelt
 > State-Changed-When: Thu Dec 12 02:50:53 2002
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Between gcc 3.1.1 and 3.2 the ABI changed.
 >     You have to recompile all the C++-libraries that you are linking.
 >     Might that be the cause for your failures?

 > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit-trail&database=gcc&pr=8889

 No.  xca does not used any C++ libraries besides libstdc++ and Qt.  I
 recompiled Qt and libstdc++ comes with gcc.

 Felix

* Re: c++/8889: g++ 3.2.1 (also 3.2 it) miscompile Qt
@ 2002-12-12  2:50 reichelt