* GNU = Junkware
@ 2022-11-26  9:20 Dave Blanchard
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Dave Blanchard @ 2022-11-26  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

No, I'm not trolling, just venting here for a moment. So sick of garbage ass, crusty junkware that's always a battle to the death to accomplish anything.

I really understand where Liu Hao was coming from yesterday when he was in here raging against the AT&T assembler. I could sense the bitterness and disgust in him, the kind that can only come from a lifetime of bitter disappointment in the status quo. It's like he's just as sick and tired as I am of broken ass, buggy software.

GNU GCC/GLIBC IS THE MOST PAINFUL PIECE OF SHIT FUCKING SOFTWARE ON THE PLANET TO BOOTSTRAP.

Not even the flaming pile of dogshit that is PYTHON comes close to the misery and hell awaiting any hapless person who wants to accomplish what ought to be the Simple And Straightforward Fucking Task of bootstrapping a cross-compiled GNU gcc/glibc/binutils system.

I have been working on this project FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR and the pain just never seems to end.

I've encountered every shitty, stupid, inane, puzzling, worthless, completely nonsensical error message that could possibly be generated by a piece of software, which almost NEVER leads toward figuring out exactly went wrong, but usually just deeper into the quagmire.

Seemingly the only way that will ever finally get this junk working is to just sit there randomly trying different stuff in the hope that it somehow moves one closer toward getting something that works right.

/rant

--
Dave Blanchard <dave@killthe.net>

* Re: GNU = Junkware
@ 2022-11-26 10:41 ` Jonathan Wakely
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2022-11-26 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Blanchard; +Cc: gcc

Cool story bro

@ 2022-11-26 14:24 ` Paul Smith
From: Paul Smith @ 2022-11-26 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Blanchard, gcc

On Sat, 2022-11-26 at 03:20 -0600, Dave Blanchard wrote:
> GNU GCC/GLIBC IS THE MOST PAINFUL PIECE OF SHIT FUCKING SOFTWARE ON
> THE PLANET TO BOOTSTRAP.

Seems like a good time to remember the old adage, if you think everyone
else is the asshole then you should consider that it's really you who's
the asshole.  If it's taken a full year and you're not done yet, maybe
you're just not suited to this type of work.  I'm not trolling either:
it's not for everyone and that's fine.  There's lots of things to do
and you'd probably be happier doing something else.

> Seemingly the only way that will ever finally get this junk working
> is to just sit there randomly trying different stuff in the hope that
> it somehow moves one closer toward getting something that works
> right.

Yes, I believe you've proved my guess correct here.

* Re: GNU = Junkware
@ 2022-11-26 16:15 ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2022-11-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Blanchard; +Cc: GCC Development

> On Nov 26, 2022, at 4:20 AM, Dave Blanchard <dave@killthe.net> wrote:
>
> No, I'm not trolling, just venting here for a moment. So sick of garbage ass, crusty junkware that's always a battle to the death to accomplish anything.

I don't know who you are or why you feel a need to spew obscenities on the GCC technical mailing list.  Especially since you have never contributed anything to GCC.

Please stop.  And to the list overseers: if it doesn't stop, please apply a suitable blacklist.

	paul

* Re: GNU = Junkware
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-11-27 14:53 ` LIU Hao